Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to check rear brake shoes/linings without removing drums

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 667 Posts

How to check rear brake shoes/linings without removing drums

After ordering aftermarket rear brake shoes for the 180mm drums of my 2014/2015 model, I was quite surprised to see how very little material the shoes actually have!
    With normal use, I would expect the rear linings to last through round about the life of four sets of front brake pads or so.
    The linings on the shoes are comparatively narrow at only 30mm width, the drums are small, and the "thickness" of the lining material is unusually thin.
    My tiny and very much lighter-weight second car, a little old FIAT Seicento micro mini-car, with 39 hp has much bigger brake shoes with much more material! See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiat_Seicento

There is an undocumented peek-hole for looking at the remaining thickness of the linings. It is on the brake plate, near to where the hand brake cable enters. The hole is normally closed up with a little oval rubber plug, and is on driver and passenger sides, one side mirrors the other. On the picture below, the plug is removed for looking onto the brake shoe. The last picture shows the plug in place.
    Why is this undocumented? Probably because it was designed in the wrong place to be practical, on the opposite side would have been better and would have saved you from risking to dislocate your neck trying to see inside.

Name:  Foto0027.jpg
Views: 3602
Size:  85.4 KB

Picture below: The same hole with the the rubber plug in place (sorry for the dark picture!)

Name:  hole.jpg
Views: 3338
Size:  92.3 KB

Last edited by foama; 01-23-2018 at 09:50 AM.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

01-7700 (01-21-2018),Daox (01-22-2018),Eggman (01-20-2018),Gennadiy (04-05-2023),gone.a (01-21-2018),MetroMPG (06-24-2021),Mr. Mits (08-07-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    Why is it undocumented? Probably because it was designed in the wrong place to be practical, on the opposite side it would have been better and would have saved you from dislocating your neck trying to see inside.
    Ha - you're probably right. I would have guessed it's a feature common to so many drum brake designs that it's almost not worth mentioning but I like your idea too.

Thanks for the picture.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    You mean this inspection hole? Did you actually pull a rubber plug out of the hole in your picture? That looks like a wear hole to me. Is that what you meant by 'undocumented'?

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    You mean this inspection hole? Did you actually pull a rubber plug out of the hole in your picture? That looks like a wear hole to me. Is that what you meant by 'undocumented'?

No, not that hole!
    The peek-hole meant is almost covered by the handbrake cable, where it enters the brake plate.
    I can't see it on your picture, it would be about south-west direction from the entering hand brake cable. See the picture in the first post, which shows the back of the brake plate as it is seen looking from under the car with the wheels on.
    The picture was taken of the "old" 2015 model with the smaller 180mm drum diameter. Maybe your picture is from a different (203mm) brake plate?

Undocumented means, the Factory Service Manual (FSM) makes no mention about it at all. Probably because it was a design error Homer Simpson style, being put in the stupidest place thinkable.
    Last edited by foama; 01-21-2018 at 11:15 AM. Reason: Fixed quote

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Something has been rubbing there, and it wore all the way through the backing plate. That hole wasn't put there by the factory, which is what I was getting at. You can't see it in my pic because it isn't there.

Do you have a corresponding hole on the other backing plate?

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Yes the other plate has it too, and in the same (mirrored) place, with the same little plug carrying the Mitsubishi logo.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    Yes the other plate has it too, and in the same (mirrored) place, with the same little plug carrying the Mitsubishi logo.
    Weeeeirrrd...

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Have added a second picture to the first post, showing the sealed hole.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

Mr. Mits (08-07-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Great write up. I've added to the mods & DIYs list:

Mirage Modifications, Customizations, and DIY list
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

Mr. Mits (08-07-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,532 Times in 1,467 Posts
    Looking at Cobrajet's picture... Where is the "adjuster check hole" located?

Name:  adjuster.jpg
Views: 3933
Size:  61.1 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Mr. Mits (08-07-2022)