Thread: Anyone been to an 'escape room'?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts

Anyone been to an 'escape room'?

So, last week I went with a group of friends to an escape room. What is an escape room you might ask? Well, you basically pay someone to lock you in a room for an hour, and you and your buddies try to find out how to get out. All the rooms have different back stories and themes that keep things interesting. This one happened to be a pirate captain's cabin. We had to find a glass compass before we left, or we would be haunted for the rest of our days! The room had TONS of combinations locks to figure out with different clues all over the room. There were at least 8 locks to figure out and/or get a key to... key locks, directional locks, combination locks with numbers, combination locks with letters. It was quite a bit of fun! It really gets you thinking outside of your normal box.

Have you guys tried any of these things out?

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Does a bar or tavern count as an "escape room"?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Eggman (01-24-2018),Fummins (01-25-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Inuvik: Ha!

Daox: Never heard of this before. Now I gotta look this up. How did you come across this?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Does waking up beside a 400lb. "cutie" count as being in an escape room?
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Wallythacker For This Useful Post:

Fummins (01-25-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    How did you come across this?
    My aunt bought a few tickets for my uncle for his birthday. Hes kind of a quirky guy and likes to try different things. Anyway, he decided to take me and a few other friends.

It was quite a bit of fun.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

Fummins (01-25-2018)

Tim - how much did it cost to do?

I've heard of 'em -- but never tried one. Some of the ones I've read about sound like a fun little adventure. I was supposed to go do one in a defunct underground nuclear bunker with my sister & her family last year, but plans changed.

Actually this was just in my local news -- a small business has proposed building a railway-themed one inside a caboose in a local park.

Backstory: my little city is home to Canada's oldest railway tunnel. It's pretty cool: it runs directly under the downtown for 1/2 a kilometer, and one end of it is in a nice waterfront area. The tunnel hasn't been used by trains since the mid 70's, but it was just refurbished and opened to pedestrians last summer. 25,000 people walked through on its first weekend alone. They figure 100k - 200k people will go in it in 2018 -- and most of them will walk past the caboose at the south end -- talk about a high traffic opportunity.

You can make money with a good escape room. Charge 4 or 5 people $10-15 each for the experience. Run it for 8 hours a day = $100k - $150k a year before expenses. Change your theme periodcially to keep it interesting and keep people coming back.

Does a bar or tavern count as an "escape room"?
    Depends on how much you've had to drink!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Finland
    Thanks
    There many rooms here in Finland. Haven't had chance to try them out yet, but seen many of others visiting them.

Mitsubishi Space Star 1.2 Cleartec Invite CVT

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Space Star 1.2 automatic: 41.2 mpg (US) ... 17.5 km/L ... 5.7 L/100 km ... 49.5 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Heffu For This Useful Post:

Daox (01-27-2018)