Thread: Long time reader, first time poster

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Long time reader, first time poster

Hi, all. Been reading your forum for a year now and think it's great. Finally took the plunge to join. I'm very interested in the Mirage and its MPG for commuting. Currently driving an '07 Fit Sport 5 speed with 190000 miles and she's been a good car. Looking to move to a Mirage CVT for the gas mileage and to then turn over to my son in a few years when he gets his license.

Current occupation is RN, but in another (younger) life I was a Honda dealer tech. Love my Honda's, but something about the Mirage is calling me. Lol. Thanks for all the great posts, especially the mechanical/reliability ones. Just saying hello, and will definitely post when I find "the one".

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AtomicPunk For This Useful Post:

Alex1a1f (01-25-2018),Cobrajet (01-28-2018),Fummins (01-25-2018),Marklovski (01-25-2018),Top_Fuel (01-25-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Welcome to the site!

Good luck in your Mirage hunt. Let us know what you end up getting.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPunk View Post
    Hi, all. Been reading your forum for a year now and think it's great. Finally took the plunge to join. I'm very interested in the Mirage and its MPG for commuting. Currently driving an '07 Fit Sport 5 speed with 190000 miles and she's been a good car. Looking to move to a Mirage CVT for the gas mileage and to then turn over to my son in a few years when he gets his license.
    Hello AtomicPunk and welcome to the forum.

Thanks for your kind words about our forum. I think there's something about the Mirage that tends to bring out straightforward honesty.

Compared to a Fit I understand the Mirage has less horsepower and the handling isn't quite the same. It would be very interesting to hear your opinion when comparing the Mirage to a Fit after you get a test drive.

If you drive a 5-speed now, I think you'll be pleased with a Mirage 5-speed too. The clutch is super-light and takes very little effort to operate. If you are considering your son, I think it would be an ideal setup to teach a new driver how to operate a manual transmission.

That being said, the base trim Mirage would serve anyone well at a good price, and I'm sure a used model can be found at an even better price. Keep in mind that the Mirage is a drive-by-wire throttle control, managed by the ECU. It is a relatively simple matter to add cruise control gear and enable the function for little investment. The 2014s & 2015s shipped with automatic climate control and in my opinion it works great.

Let us know if you have any questions and as always we'll do our best to help out.

Welcome.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Welcome to the forum! Thanks for joining.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Welcome, AtomicPunk!

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPunk View Post
    Looking to move to a Mirage CVT
    Are you considering the CVT strictly for the fuel economy rating? Keep in mind that in the real world, the 5-speed is more efficient in the hands of an attentive driver. Check our fuel log stats: http://mirageforum.com/forum/emgarage-stats.php

Also, the 5MT super easy to drive - probably the lightest clutch you'll ever use.

Let us know when you've tried one. (You'll probably want to put a rear stabilizer bar on it, coming from Hondas.)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)