Thread: Resetting tpms with new tires.

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Resetting tpms with new tires.

I have a 2014 Mirage which I love. I am putting new tires on it do I need to have the TPMS sensors reset or replaced.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    What size tires?
    (blank signature)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dshelby56 View Post
    I have a 2014 Mirage which I love. I am putting new tires on it do I need to have the TPMS sensors reset or replaced.
    No. If you are just replacing the tires and don't have a TPMS light on now, you shouldn't need to do anything with them.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    No. If you are just replacing the tires and don't have a TPMS light on now, you shouldn't need to do anything with them.
    I read the question wrong lol. Duh...
    (blank signature)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex1a1f View Post
    I read the question wrong lol. Duh...
    Thank you. I didn't think so but wanted to check. Just another way for them to make money off me.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Hello Dshelby56 and welcome to the forum.

From what I found online TPMS sensor battery life can vary but they usually last anywhere from five to seven years. See this for more info:

Quote Originally Posted by TPMSdirect.com: TPMS Life Expectancy | Dan Rosales

The Life Expectancy of OE TPMS Sensors

When asked how long the sensor batteries will last, industry representatives provide a broad life expectancy range of five to seven years and up to 100,000 miles are mentioned when addressing estimated life spans. The follow-up qualifier is that driving conditions, such as frequent on-off cycling of a TPMS, tire pressure sampling frequency and temperature extremes, will significantly shorten battery life. Translating to they cannot guarantee a specified amount as many things affect battery sensor life.
    So while it can be hard to say that you won't have to worry about a OE sensor failing on you any time soon, it's still a possibility. Many forum members here have reported replacing their tires - several times - without mentioning replacing their TPMS sensors.

Your shop just might be trying to make more money off this job, or they don't want to do it again if the sensors fail. It's hard to tell from here if they are being helpful or greedy. For now, you can give them the benefit of the doubt.

If it were me I would forego replacing the TPMS sensors and use the OE ones. That way, the new sensors don't have to be programmed in (not all shops have the equipment to program TPMS sensors on the Mitsubishi Mirage.)

Best wishes and be sure to let us know what tires you go with and how it all works out for you. Forums work best when information is shared!

And don't forget pictures.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (01-29-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    ...2014 Mirage
    ...putting new tires on
    ...do I need to have the TPMS sensors reset or replaced
    Like others have said...the answer is '"no" to both resetting or replacing.

Each Mirage TPMS sensor has a unique identification number stored in it. The 4 numbers from your existing sensors are stored in your car's computer. As long as you re-use these sensors with your new tires, your computer will see the same 4 numbers from the sensors and everything will be fine.

If you are at a shop that is unfamiliar with the Mirage's TPMS system, they may think you need some sort of reprogramming. For example, some TPMS systems need to be re-set if a sensor is moved to a different location on the car (GM cars, for example). The Mirage is not like this.

A couple of other things to think about...

• Your shop may advise you to replace your valve stems with the new tires. That is not BS and is always advisable when getting new tires. Be aware that while the valve stems of the Mirage look like 99 cent garden-variety valve stems, they are not. They are unique to the type of TPMS sensor the Mirage uses. They look like this and can cost anywhere from $5-$10 each.

• If you're getting new tires, hopefully a 4-wheel alignment check is part of your plan. Don't be tempted to put it off or try to save a few dollars by not getting it done. This can be a costly mistake for any car...but especially for a Mirage. I noticed you are a new forum member, so you may want to take 2 minutes and read this related alignment thread.

Last edited by Top_Fuel; 01-28-2018 at 11:54 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Eggman (01-28-2018),MetroMPG (01-29-2018),Rockabilly Manta (08-28-2019)