Thread: DIY! Snapped clutch cable remove & replace

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Country
    Philippines
    Thanks

DIY! Snapped clutch cable remove & replace

Admin edit - wise words from Cobrajet (post #22), whose cable also snapped:

Honestly, if your car is driven in-town a lot and has around 100,000 miles I can't say that preemptive replacement is a bad idea. When they fail, they just FAIL. Part is about $80 online, and with the help of this thread replacement should be easy for any reasonably handy person. Wish I had replaced mine last week!
    Name:  P_20180128_083208.jpg
Views: 7282
Size:  99.0 KB
    So, the problem was when i was driving i heard something snapped... then my clutch would'nt work anymore but luckily i was already near our place and had to push my mirage until i reached our front gate

My mirage ODO reading is only around 36k --- premature! for 2yrs and 8mnths!
    So here's how!

I will not include the tools as i assume that you can find what tools to be used ok!

1. First, open your driver side door then move the seat back to get some space. Now, Kneel down until you see under your dashboard that it has a cover and you have to unscrew three plastic screw tabs then remove the cover underneath.

Name:  P_20180128_095737.jpg
Views: 6370
Size:  87.7 KB

Name:  P_20180128_085046.jpg
Views: 6523
Size:  97.0 KB

ADMIN EDIT #2:

Text-only summary instructions by Cobrajet from here:

1) Using the Phillips screwdriver to loosen the clamps, remove the intake boot that goes between the airbox and the throttle body. This will allow you to easily get at the clutch release lever.

2) Use the pliers to remove the split pin that holds the clutch cable clevis on the clutch release arm. Unscrew the clutch adjustment nut enough to remove the clevis from the arm, then pull the cable through the adjustment nut bracket.

3) Use the 12mm wrench to remove the bolt that secures the cable to the shock tower behind the battery. You can leave the battery in place (unless maybe you have gorilla hands).

4) Use the Phillips screwdriver once again to remove the plastic panel under the driver's side dash. These clips can be tricky. If you push too hard on them while you are unscrewing them they, well...won't unscrew. Once all three are unscrewed you can just pull the panel off.

5) Reach up under the dash to the top of the clutch pedal pivot and unhook the clevis from the clutch pedal. This may require a little contortion.

6) Pull the clutch cable out of the car from the engine compartment, being mindful of how it is routed.

Installation is the reverse of removal. Repeat the process on the other car, swap in the known good cable, and see how it feels. Adjust the nut on the cable to allow about 3-4mm of free play in the release arm.
    Last edited by mitsumi; 01-28-2018 at 02:18 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 3,108.4 mpg (US) ... 1,321.5 km/L ... 0.1 L/100 km ... 3,733.0 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mitsumi For This Useful Post:

Eggman (01-28-2018),MetroMPG (01-28-2018)