Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY! Snapped clutch cable remove & replace

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    BTW, is there any aftermarket clutch cable that can be used instead of the OEM from Mitsu?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 3,108.4 mpg (US) ... 1,321.5 km/L ... 0.1 L/100 km ... 3,733.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    mitsumi nice write-up.

Good thing Mitsubishi built this car light haha. I've pushed my Speck and found it easy to push around.

There is a thread here on the forum by Alpha_One called HOW TO: Adjust clutch engagement point - Mitsubishi Mirage / Space Star It's one of the earliest threads on the forum, dating back to February of 2013. Alpha_One put up some great photos (like yourself ). It's an easy step-by-step tutorial. Throughout the short thread other members include their knowledge and experience in setting a clutch.

Later on in the thread I found and posted the procedure from the service manual which is even simpler and more straightforward: Service manual: clutch adjuster

mitsumi I'm not sure if you have a copy of the service manual. It is available online and the adjustment procedure (among other things...) is covered.

The adjustment is very simple but I suggest that it could have saved your clutch cable from falling apart. I wonder if the clutch adjustment was set to that when your clutch pedal was at it's end of travel, it was pulling hard on the clutch throwout bearing instead of the clutch pedal resting on the floor of the passenger compartment. Putting that much tension on on the clutch cable could lead to it separating the way it did. Can't tell for sure at this point so it's all speculation.

Thanks for taking the time to share this with us all.
    That's awesome there is a service manual. Is there one for 17s?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    That's awesome there is a service manual. Is there one for 17s?
    I haven't heard of one. If you can find one let us know.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Pryme (02-10-2018)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    @Pryme
    i think its still the same setup for the 17s. not unless they changed to an hydraulic clutch.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 3,108.4 mpg (US) ... 1,321.5 km/L ... 0.1 L/100 km ... 3,733.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    CLUTCH CABLE SNAPPED LAST NIGHT!

Well, at just under 114,000 miles of relatively hard in-town use my clutch cable gave up the ghost. I was driving through a quiet neighborhood, went to grab third gear, and...(pop)! Pedal stayed on the floor. I knew right away what had happened.

Fortunately, I was near my house. I used the 'rev-matching' method to drive the car home. Traffic at the time was NOT helpful. Glad to have this post as a reference point now! Hope I can get a new cable today and not have to wait on the mail...

My cable failed right where Mitsumi's did...at the clevis on the clutch arm. If your car is getting up in mileage I would suggest inspecting this exposed area of the cable for noticeable fraying or damage.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Eggman (03-01-2019),MetroMPG (03-01-2019),Top_Fuel (03-01-2019)

No warning in your case?

I've had one clutch cable snap in my life, and there was no warning. No looking back and thinking, "I should have paid attention when that little noise/feeling appeared."

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    My cable failed right where Mitsumi's did...at the clevis on the clutch arm.
    Pictures?

P.S.: And don't tell the CVT crowd about this. It'll be used against us Manual owners.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    No warning in your case?

I've had one clutch cable snap in my life, and there was no warning. No looking back and thinking, "I should have paid attention when that little noise/feeling appeared."
    Nope, no warning. I have had this happen twice in my life: once in a 1995 Geo Metro, and last night in the Mirage.

The Metro did give warning. The pedal feel was very stiff and grating towards the end. Went to start it one cold morning, stabbed the clutch pedal, and *SNAP!* Actually a rather loud noise, IIRC.

But the Mirage? No warning at all. The cable's last shift before failing felt just like it's first shift during my test drive back in 2014.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Eggman (03-01-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Pictures?

P.S.: And don't tell the CVT crowd about this. It'll be used against us Manual owners.
    Lmao! Will get one later today, but it will be identical to Mitsumi's autopsy pics.

For reliablity, and ease of replacement you a cable clutch is nice. I've seen hyraulics fail a lot in the cold especially in 90's fords in -40. I'd rather change a cable than a slave cylinder that you'd need to pull the transmission out to change, again like many fords and sunfire/cavalier type cars and probably many others.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)