Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Fuel Economy this Winter Has been Extraordinarily Bad. What Should I do?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Spadesheart View Post
    I've been changing the oil with my own stuff for a while as you can get the synthetic for fairly cheap in Canada. There was one time last fall where I got the oil changed with a conventional oil as I was well above the limit and just needed it changed. I don't imagine that would have too much of an adverse effect. At least I would hope.
    Are you saying the car runs synthetic all the time but on one occasion you simply used conventional?
    How that relates to mpg I'm not sure but unless you're running a synthetic "blend" oil, the change to conventional can have significant ill effect like clotting/gelling which can plug filters and passages. Could it be that you're still seeing these effects in your fuel economy?

Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IchabodCrane View Post
    Are you saying the car runs synthetic all the time but on one occasion you simply used conventional?
    How that relates to mpg I'm not sure but unless you're running a synthetic "blend" oil, the change to conventional can have significant ill effect like clotting/gelling which can plug filters and passages. Could it be that you're still seeing these effects in your fuel economy?
    seems to correlate well with my experience - dino bad - synth gud
    Skills: Cage fighting, computer chatting, making sweet moula

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 1.2 manual: 38.0 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    In very cold weather and without a substantial grill block, the excessive cold air blowing into the motor compartment cools the engine a lot. On top of that with the driver feeling the cold, the indoor heat gets turned up and consequently cools the poor engine even more. Cold engines guzzle gas! For saving fuel, engines needs to reach operating temperature asap. Just like the engine, you would freeze too if you stood outside naked in a winter storm!
    Here is what I do with every car in my garage:

When it gets down to the feezing point, I block at least 90% of the grill, and keep it that way until the flowers come up following year.

In summer the grill is blocked 50% at all times, resulting in zero problems and the fan comes on only very seldom in a traffic jam.

On top of that the temp sensor eco mod helps even further.
    See: http://mirageforum.com/forum/showthr...ment-when-cold

As far as oil is concerned, make sure it is rated ILSAC GF-4 or GF5 See the Instruction handbook!
    Last edited by foama; 02-08-2018 at 10:15 AM.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I don't know how to go about it but you may need to flush out the oil in your engine so you can start clean again.
    Hopefully someone here knows a good way to do that..
    Anyone?
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    As far as oil is concerned, make sure it is rated ILSAC GF-4 or GF5
    See the FSM or the Instruction handbook that was placed in the glove box!

If you want to flush it out, it should be sufficient to do a regular oil and filter change.

Spadesheart - any update on your fuel consumption?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Spadesheart - any update on your fuel consumption?
    Fuel consumption is still poor even though now the weather is good, but I think I have a lead on what the issue is. I've had, on two occasions the engine crank but not turn on unless I gave it a bit of gas. This happened once in the winter, so I just assumed it was cold or something, but it happened again two days ago. I'm under the impression that the airflow might be gunked up, or if there is an air control valve, it might be faulty. This might also explain why low speed driving still has decent economy, but high speed has really suffered. I'm going to give my guy a call to see if i can see him tomorrow.

The engine sometimes pumps revs on its own too, leading me to believe its labouring sometimes
    Last edited by Spadesheart; 05-11-2018 at 06:52 PM.

Have your guy do a compression test.

A few members have had hard or non-starting issues that turned out to be warranty engine replacements.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Fummins (05-11-2018)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Have your guy do a compression test.

A few members have had hard or non-starting issues that turned out to be warranty engine replacements.
    should i just go to mitsubishi?

Which is more convenient? That's how I'd decide.

Also: if you have (or can borrow) a compression tester, it's not hard to do yourself.