Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fuel Economy this Winter Has been Extraordinarily Bad. What Should I do?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Fuel Economy this Winter Has been Extraordinarily Bad. What Should I do?

So I have not gotten my fuel economy under 6 L/100 km the entire winter. It seems to be hovering unless I'm taking longer highway drives in the 7-9 range, which is pretty unacceptable. Last winter I was at least able to get it to into the 6's city and into the 5's on the highway.

I've taken it to Mitsubishi, and they've said that they couldn't see anything out of the ordinary as nothing was showing a code.

The tires are 175 winters, different from last winter, but last winter also had 175 winter tires.

I am having cold starts now, but as it's winter, that issue is obvious. However if you've been reading my posts about this throughout the year, I've been having cold starts all the way through the summer starting last fall. I believe there is something wrong, perhaps with the cold start sensor, but I don't know how to actually get someone to tell me so. I took it to Mitsubishi and they wouldn't do anything.

Engine oil and transmission oil is up to date.

I believe my alignment is a little out of whack too, or at least it seems to be. The Mitsubishi service center near me can't check alignment. If I take it to one that does, will they charge me?

Considering it is so much worse than last winter, I'm quite sure there is a combination of issues this time around.

Does anyone have any solid suggestions. Can any other 2014 CVT mirage owner around my area (southern ontario) tell me how their fuel economy is?

It's really disappointing that I'm getting numbers like this, especially when it was even bad in the summer. I'm super annoyed its worse now. It was so good for the first 4 months I had it.

Let me know if you have any suggestions. Thanks

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Where you live? I've been disappointed with my '17 mileage. Mid to high 6, rarely into the 5's. My other Mirage, a '14, even with snows would still be climbing on the computer even doing 120kmh. Always in the 5's, even though I drove it in Barrie, harsher weather than Niagara where I am now.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spadesheart View Post
    The tires are 175 winters, different from last winter, but last winter also had 175 winter tires.
    I think this would be a likely contributor. There can be large differences in rolling resistance in tires, especially winter tires.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I'm in northern ON and I've been able to consistently run 5.0 to 5.5 L/100km daily average to work and back home this winter.
    Total drive time one way is about 40 minutes.
    My mileage doesn't really suffer until temps drop into the -20's with my '17 SEL CVT but I've never seen worse than 6.7 L/100km in any weather/conditions.
    I'm running the winter 165/65 R14 dunlops that came "free" with car purchase.
    I also run with climate control on auto so air cond. is on pretty much all the time. No warmup idling, I'm moving 30 - 40 seconds after startup.
    If I was getting economy worse than 7L/100km I'd be hunting for a cause.
    Last edited by IchabodCrane; 01-30-2018 at 03:46 AM. Reason: Location
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I'm getting under 6.5l/100km, with 4 minute commutes, and long warm up times.

Can't complain.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.5 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I'm in the Kitchener/Waterloo region now, often in the GTA. I was dissapointed last winter, but this winter is truly a catastrophe when it comes to the milage. The tank is done with not all that much driving.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    I think this would be a likely contributor. There can be large differences in rolling resistance in tires, especially winter tires.
    I would accept some impact, but not highway commutes for an hour sometimes staying in the 7's. The first summer when I had the car, I was getting 4.5 consistent on the highway. The difference is massive.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IchabodCrane View Post
    I'm in northern ON and I've been able to consistently run 5.0 to 5.5 L/100km daily average to work and back home this winter.
    Total drive time one way is about 40 minutes.
    My mileage doesn't really suffer until temps drop into the -20's with my '17 SEL CVT but I've never seen worse than 6.7 L/100km in any weather/conditions.
    I'm running the winter 165/65 R14 dunlops that came "free" with car purchase.
    I also run with climate control on auto so air cond. is on pretty much all the time. No warmup idling, I'm moving 30 - 40 seconds after startup.
    If I was getting economy worse than 7L/100km I'd be hunting for a cause.
    How should I? I am rudementally educated when it comes to car mechanics and the Mitsu service people wont do anything. Who would be a smart person to take this too that could diagnose whats wrong?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spadesheart View Post
    Who would be a smart person to take this too that could diagnose whats wrong?
    Sounds like you are in the best position to take care of this!

Here's a few cheap and easy things to look at:
    1. Monitor your coolant temperature. Getting your engine up to temperature has a big impact on fuel consumption.
    2. Short trips are not good for fuel economy. What amount of time are you typically operating your Mirage?
    3. Are you using an engine block heater?
    4. Are you using a grill block? Be sure to monitor your coolant temperature if you use a grill block to avoid overheating (unlikely, but possible.)
    5. What air pressure are you running in your tires?
    6. If you have auto climate controls, consider turning off auto AC.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

2of9 (01-30-2018),Top_Fuel (01-30-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Mine definitely drops with winter gas + snow tires. I'm probably in the mid to high 30's with careful driving. I attribute it to the aforementioned winter gas (has affected all my cars, every year) and snow tires that are over sized. The over sizing makes the odometer read fewer than actual miles. But the tires are so good, I can't complain.

Perhaps check the air pressure in your winter tires? Maybe they are low.