I have Had a 2001 Mitsubishi Mirage ES 4-door sedan for almost two years now. My sister was previous owner, and my first cousin owned it prior to that. For the two years I’ve owned this car I’ve had issues determining whether it had a 1.5 or 1.8 L engine. This has caused much trouble and confusion as far as spark plugs, oil and other things that are specific to needing to know which one.

Recently I discovered why I was having such confusion. The reason was The sticker underneath the hood clearly states it is a 1.5. However, I have the original sticker from the lot stating it is a 1.8. I called my local auto store to see if they could help. He said he could look it up by the Vin number and when he did stated that both 1.5 and 1.8 were listed.

It was his opinion, as well as mine, that the sticker underneath the hood would/should be more likely to be the accurate one. Based on everything I found online, I’m not sure that the ES models come in a 1.5 because every single one I’ve seen is only ever a 1.8.

Can anyone please help me in figuring this out? It would be much appreciated.