Thread: Solution: Mirage doors freezing shut - use dielectric silicone

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Lightbulb Solution: Mirage doors freezing shut - use dielectric silicone

I've always felt that the door seals on my Mirage were a little "sticky", especially on colder days. You'd pull the handle, and the door wouldn't open until the door seal unstuck itself from the body. Well yesterday, I came out and all 4 doors were frozen shut. I didn't want to yank on the handles too hard, because the door skins were flexing like crazy. My temporary solution was to pop the hatch (it opened just fine), pull the tray out, flip the back seats down, and push the rear drivers side door open from the inside. That gave me a place to pull the front drivers door open, so I could actually get to work.

I remembered reading about using dielectric silicone on the door seals to condition them. I had a large tube of the stuff I bought when I put the engine block heater in, so I spread a little on a piece of paper towel and wiped it all along the rubber door seals. Came out this morning, and the doors opened without sticking at all.

Apparently you don't want to use silicone spray, because it has chemicals that can eat away at the rubber. The plain dielectric silicone grease in a tube is apparently what you want.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.1 mpg (US) ... 18.7 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 52.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wellswebdesign For This Useful Post:

01-7700 (02-06-2018),Daox (02-07-2018),inuvik (02-06-2018)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I've used silicone spray for years on door seals to keep them looking new with no ill effect.
    It's the same stuff dealerships spray on tire sidewalls to make 'em shiny.
    I can see where the grease may work better in winter though as it stays on the surface longer.
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to IchabodCrane For This Useful Post:

wellswebdesign (02-07-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Armour All also works

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to poorman1 For This Useful Post:

Daox (02-07-2018),IchabodCrane (02-07-2018),wellswebdesign (02-07-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    I believe I've used Armor All as well. Not sure how long these things last though.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Petroleum jelly, or your choice of personal lubricant would probably do the trick as well.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    According to the guys at Bob Is the Oil Guy, silicon spray is most likely fine.

Silicone Spray on Rubber Seals

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

wellswebdesign (02-08-2018)