Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fiat leaving U.S? Trying to boost 500 sales with turbo-only engine for 2018

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Marklovski View Post
    Fuel economy should be a selling point forever. The gas prices are low due to world petrol consumption. Once the Asians start consuming more world prices will increase. Only fools are going out and buying gas guzzlers.

Good point on production. It would cost less just to use the same engine. I mean its just a tuned down version of the Abarth. Just tune that baby up. Well the turbo on the regular 500 might be smaller.
    I agree that fuel economy should be important but people have short term memory unfortunately. I currently own a 2013 500T with the detuned Abarth turbo. Everything on the engine is exactly the same as the Abarth. The only thing unique is the ECU, with detuned max boost pressure. Boost appears to be limited to 15psi max compared to 18-21 on the Abarth. Removing the muffler and adding an intake has brought me close to Abarth levels of power. With a chip, I'll blow a stock one away or be on the same level as a modded Abarth. At the time, I was trying to save money but the main reasons I didn't get the Abarth was the car was going to be my delivery car so I wanted a softer in town ride and the ability to add a spare tire. The Abarth's exhaust design negates the ability to add the under car spare. That was a no starter for me with all the screws and nails I catch in my tires.

Side note: you only lose about 2-4mpg with the turbo unless you run it at max pressure all the time. Before my turbo, I owned a regular 500 cabrio. I averaged 35-37 mpg with that car. With the turbo, I average 32-34 even with a slightly shorter final drive.

Fuel economy trivia: the most interesting Fiat 500 to me is the you could get in Europe with the 0.9L 2-cylinder engine. I would have loved to try it.

Of course, even less chance that would ever come to North America than the 1.0L Mirage!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

rikyxxx (02-13-2018)

Country
    Italy
    Thanks
    I happened to drive a 500 with a twin-air 0,9L Turbo engine, it was very fun!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rikyxxx For This Useful Post:

Marklovski (02-13-2018),MetroMPG (02-13-2018)

new rumour: Fiat leaving the U.S.?

Ciao, Arrivederci – Can You Muster a Tear if Fiat Gets the Axe?

it came as no surprise when rumors cropped up of the brand’s looming North American demise at the hands of outgoing CEO Sergio Marchionne.
    Apparently an "announcement" is coming tomorrow.

From: http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...fiat-gets-axe/

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (05-31-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    As long as Chrysler can still sell vehicles like the Demon, I'm OK with it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Fiat 500 isn't a 500 anything, Yaris Mirage, retro

First off, something named Fiat 500 should have had a 500cc engine.
    Second, compared to 2-door Toyota Yaris and Mirage on utility, it has a rear cabin design that greatly reduces interior volume for the sake of looks that try to retain some aspect of a well loved earlier Fiat propelled by 500cc.
    (Note that the BMW Isetta was bumped up to 300cc from 250 at launch.)
    Last edited by dogsridewith; 05-31-2018 at 03:35 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I never cared for them but it's always a bit of a downer seeing a company pull out of the U.S.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Apparently an "announcement" is coming tomorrow.

From: http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...fiat-gets-axe/
    Yeah, I was just going to say that I remember reading articles a few days ago that said Fiat was going to be discontinued. America hates small cars so it makes sense, with cheap gas and the trend towards SUVs and CUVs

Also the Fiat 500 simply is outclassed by the Mirage, Yaris and Versa when it comes to Utility. In my opinion the Mirage is the best of the lot as far as mpg numbers and lowest sticker price. The numbers speak for themselves and the Mirage has the best numbers and the best warranty to boot.

I never have been attracted to SUVs and I doubt I ever will be. They are so generic and plain-Jane. And soon everyone will own one so they will look as "special" as a generic android in a rubber case
    2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Bummer. I always kinda liked the 500.

I was actually thinking about buying an Abarth once I got my house re-fi'd, which I am in the process of now. I thought it was strange that, this far into the model year, Fiat offered no 'Build and Price' program for the 2018 Abarth on their website.

Now I know why. Maybe I can get the proverbial "screamin' deal" from Fiat on their way out the door? I assume parts/warranty will be handled through Chrysler/Dodge dealerships going forward?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Bummer. I always kinda liked the 500.

I was actually thinking about buying an Abarth once I got my house re-fi'd, which I am in the process of now. I thought it was strange that, this far into the model year, Fiat offered no 'Build and Price' program for the 2018 Abarth on their website.

Now I know why. Maybe I can get the proverbial "screamin' deal" from Fiat on their way out the door? I assume parts/warranty will be handled through Chrysler/Dodge dealerships going forward?
    If you read thetruthaboutcars.com it sounds like the dealers can't give Fiats away. LOL The dealer closest to me hasn't budged on their lone 500 Abarth, but the dealer in Olean, NY has one for $15,499. Which is 8k off MSRP.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Angrybeaver For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (06-02-2018)