Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oil filters

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Oil filters

I learned something interesting today, that may help someone out.

This car:

Uses the same oil filter as these motorcycles:

Wix 51358 or KN-175 or Mobil M110A is what I've been using. H-D oil filters are made by Mahle, and it's been my experience that the local auto parts store may or may not have the filter I want, but the Harley dealer WILL have a filter for a Street 500, 750 or 750 Street Rod, and it won't be some $25 filter, either. They cost the same as a normal oil filter.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinker1980 View Post

Wix 51358 or KN-175 or Mobil M110A is what I've been using. H-D oil filters are made by Mahle, and it's been my experience that the local auto parts store may or may not have the filter I want, but the Harley dealer WILL have a filter for a Street 500, 750 or 750 Street Rod, and it won't be some $25 filter, either. They cost the same as a normal oil filter.
    Rock Auto lists 22 different oil filters for my 2017 Mirage. One of those is a Mahle/Clevite OC707 for $4.55. If it's the same filter (with a different label slapped on it) as the H-D Mahle oil filter for $25, you may want to consider buying it elsewhere. Given the price, I wouldn't expect the Mahle/Clevite oil filter to be anything special.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...8x%2F4kZcYGaJc

The Fram XG7317 Ultra Synthetic, Mobil M110A, & Wix 57356XP would be good choices in my opinion. I wouldn't put a K & N filter on any of my vehicles, because I think they are overpriced, lower quality products.

I personally feel the Purolator Boss PBL14610 may be one of the best oil filters on the market, but I feel the price/quality is a bit overkill for my needs. I like using their mid-grade oil filter (Purolator ONE PL14610) that's rated for 10,000 miles, and I do 5,000 mile oil change intervals. I can usually pick these up at a nearby Farm & Fleet store for $7-8.

Boss filter taken apart -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSby1Avp1XU

Technology behind the Boss filter -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NbWmuNLlGk

How they test them -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7TzQkY7qaI

"Purolator manufactured and sold the first commercially available automotive oil filters starting in the 1920s."
    Last edited by Mark; 02-18-2023 at 04:37 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

mohammad (02-18-2023)

This car:

Uses the same oil filter as these motorcycles:

I use the 57356 cause that's what comes up when I look it up. It's a pretty common filter used in Honda's too. It's noticeably longer than the 51358 and is easier to get ahold of when removing from below, provided the rad support isn't smashed in.

The Nissan's that I service use the 51358 that is closer in size to the tiny oem Mitsubishi 1230a105(or something like that)filter.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I think my 400 Suzuki Burgman might use the same filter. I'll dig in and see what I find.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Rock Auto lists 22 different oil filters for my 2017 Mirage. One of those is a Mahle/Clevite OC707 for $4.55. If it's the same filter (with a different label slapped on it) as the H-D Mahle oil filter for $25, you may want to consider buying it elsewhere. Given the price, I wouldn't expect the Mahle/Clevite oil filter to be anything special.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...8x%2F4kZcYGaJc

The Fram XG7317 Ultra Synthetic, Mobil M110A, & Wix 57356XP would be good choices in my opinion. I wouldn't put a K & N filter on any of my vehicles, because I think they are overpriced, lower quality products.

I personally feel the Purolator Boss PBL14610 may be one of the best oil filters on the market, but I feel the price/quality is a bit overkill for my needs. I like using their mid-grade oil filter (Purolator ONE PL14610) that's rated for 10,000 miles, and I do 5,000 mile oil change intervals. I can usually pick these up at a nearby Farm & Fleet store for $7-8.

Boss filter taken apart -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSby1Avp1XU

Technology behind the Boss filter -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NbWmuNLlGk

How they test them -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7TzQkY7qaI

"Purolator manufactured and sold the first commercially available automotive oil filters starting in the 1920s."
    The H-D filter is about $8 last time I checked. My post specifically said that the harley filter would not be $25.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The H-D filter is about $8 last time I checked. My post specifically said that the harley filter would not be $25.
    I didn't bring up the $25 originally, but thanks for the clarification.

Harley-Davidson doesn't make oil filters anyways, & neither does a company like Mobil 1.

I was just sharing general information for anyone reading this thread.

Oil filter companies like Purolator (first company to manufacture oil filters in the 1920's) will make oil filters for other companies, however.

Champ Labs also manufactures numerous oil filters for a number of companies.

If someone shares a Harley-Davidson oil filter, John Deere oil filter, Honda oil filter or whatever, I ask myself who makes that oil filter?

I have the impression oil filters made by companies owned by MANN + HUMMEL are very good quality.

For example - Look up Mobil 1 oil filter warranty & what do you find?

"MANN+HUMMEL Purolator Filters LLC (“MANN+HUMMEL”) provides this limited warranty to the original purchaser who use Mobil 1™ Extended Performance oil filter products manufactured or sold by MANN+HUMMEL ("Covered Products”). Covered Products are warrantied to be free from defects in material and workmanship for the duration of the original equipment recommended change interval."

I personally think Purolator (Amercian company) has also improved their product line since MANN + HUMMEL has purchased them.

Does the price of an oil filter reflect the quality of the product or the name slapped on it?

It's just something I ask myself these days.

Years ago I just pulled the cheapest Fram oil filter off the shelf & thought nothing of it. I can't say that it did any harm, but I've switched to mid-grade oil filters since using synthetic oil (along with longer oil change intervals) in my vehicles.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Old habits die hard. Back in the day some of my earlier cars burned oil. Changing the oil was silly as you ended up adding a quart every 1000 miles, which, for you youngsters, was considered "OK" for that era. So when the oil change interval rolled around chances are you already have 2-3 quarts of "newish" oil in the car. So when you finally decided to put a new filter on an 29 cent thing was deemed "OK". There were still incredible oil burners into the late 70's and mid 80's. The Chev Vega/Pontiac Astra were horrible. The Mitsubishi 2.6l was atrocious. These things burned a quart every 250 miles, sometimes a quart each gas fill up.

Oh, right, so lots of folks carried the "as cheap as possible" mantra for oil filters long into the era cars stopped burning oil.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    Old habits die hard. Back in the day some of my earlier cars burned oil. Changing the oil was silly as you ended up adding a quart every 1000 miles, which, for you youngsters, was considered "OK" for that era. So when the oil change interval rolled around chances are you already have 2-3 quarts of "newish" oil in the car. So when you finally decided to put a new filter on an 29 cent thing was deemed "OK". There were still incredible oil burners into the late 70's and mid 80's. The Chev Vega/Pontiac Astra were horrible. The Mitsubishi 2.6l was atrocious. These things burned a quart every 250 miles, sometimes a quart each gas fill up.

Oh, right, so lots of folks carried the "as cheap as possible" mantra for oil filters long into the era cars stopped burning oil.
    This is before our time, but oil filters on cars weren't even a thing for a long time.

Even though this happened in 1923 -

"Early automotive engines didn't use any kind of filtration for the oil. It wasn't until a patent was granted to Ernest Sweetland and George Greenhalgh in 1923 for their product the “pure oil later” or “Purolator,” that you could buy an automobile with a full pressure lubrication system."

It still took decades for oil filters to become common on cars. Disposable oil filters didn't really become common until the 1960's. Someone driving a car in the 1950s may have changed their oil every 1,000 miles. That may sound strange to us, but most of those vehicles probably didn't even have an oil filter.

I sort of grew up in the era of changing conventional oil/cheap oil filter every 3,000 miles. When I was real young (long before I owned a car), I remember cans of 10W oil for winter use and 30W oil for summer use. Then again, I remember 36 cent/gallon gas, too. Gas going over $1/gallon was a shocker!

I must be old!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    It still took decades for oil filters to become common on cars. Disposable oil filters didn't really become common until the 1960's. Someone driving a car in the 1950s may have changed their oil every 1,000 miles. That may sound strange to us, but most of those vehicles probably didn't even have an oil filter.
    Very true. IIRC, the first year of the famous Chevy small block V8...1955...didn't have an oil filter. As a result, this one-year only block is not popular for hot rodding. Filters haven't been around as long as people think.

I bought a whole case of OEM oil filters for my 2008 Acura MDX because I planned on keeping it for a long time. My brother talked me into selling it to him (I guess he needs a reliable three row SUV more than I do anyway) and that left me with a case of filters I didn't have a vehicle for anymore. Turns out the filters for the MDX and the filters for the Mirage cross-reference so I have been using them on my Mirage.

So far, so good. My Mirage now has 215k miles, so I guess I am not as fastidious about this sort of stuff as I used to be. Don't tell anyone my filters are blue and say 'Honda' on them!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Very true. IIRC, the first year of the famous Chevy small block V8...1955...didn't have an oil filter. As a result, this one-year only block is not popular for hot rodding. Filters haven't been around as long as people think.

I bought a whole case of OEM oil filters for my 2008 Acura MDX because I planned on keeping it for a long time. My brother talked me into selling it to him (I guess he needs a reliable three row SUV more than I do anyway) and that left me with a case of filters I didn't have a vehicle for anymore. Turns out the filters for the MDX and the filters for the Mirage cross-reference so I have been using them on my Mirage.

So far, so good. My Mirage now has 215k miles, so I guess I am not as fastidious about this sort of stuff as I used to be. Don't tell anyone my filters are blue and say 'Honda' on them!
    Your Honda filter may have come from the same oil filter factory. They may have just painted them Honda blue instead of Mitsubishi black. It wouldn't shock me if this was true.