Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GM may exit Korea = killing off the Spark? Rumour = Sonic dead too.

GM may exit Korea = killing off the Spark? Rumour = Sonic dead too.

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 1348
Size:  62.2 KB

Reports are going around that GM is on a cost-cutting mission that may include leaving Korea.

Considering that's where the Spark is made...

But it’s made by GM Korea, and if GM pulls out of the country, we may lose our small car friend forever. Or, at least, until you buy it off a dealer’s pre-owned lot.
    Source: https://jalopnik.com/general-motors-...man-1822955953

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    With as much as OEMs are axing sedans and other cars it would be no surprise to me.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Each competing small car that gets axed does mean a potential Mirage sale, so Goodbye Spark, I never warmed to your harsh ride, crappy gas mileage and cheap looking and weird instrument pod.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

The latest news seems to suggest that GM may have overstated their intentions in order to scare the S. Korean government into a bail-out, and the remaining unions/workers into being more cooperative.

The Cost of Saving GM Korea? $2.8 billion, Report Claims

SEOUL, March 5 (Yonhap) -- Sales of vehicles made at GM Korea's plant in the southern city of Changwon have plunged 40 percent over the last four years, industry data showed Monday, casting doubt on its future viability.

GM Korea's Changwon plant produces the Spark city car...

[...] sales of the Spark tumbled to around 50,000 units last year from about 80,000 a year earlier.

[...] GM Korea requested financial support from the government, saying it will decide its future course of action based on the level of assistance and cooperation from its workers.
    Wiki says that's the only plant where the Spark is made. 50k/yr is pretty darn low for global export. The Mirage sells far better than that, and is made in 3 separate factories.

GM Korea's Changwon plant suffers tumbling sales over 4 years

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Totally subjective, but in my recent trip to Mexico, there were tons of Sparks around.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Unless the plant can produce in the order of 100-200k other models it's destined to close. It won't make sense to retool a Spark line elsewhere with sales volume so low.

I guess we can say the Spark is done.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Hardball continues:

GM Korea Threatens Bankruptcy If Union Doesn’t Budge

Agree to our cost-cutting plan, the automaker says, or GM Korea declares bankruptcy.

The union’s deadline is April 20th. GM clearly hopes the tactic cows labor brass, thus speeding up the delivery of a government aid package and ensuring the flow of lower-end GM vehicles not only to South Korea, but to export markets like the United States.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    It's not just the Spark, but also the Chevy Trax and Buick Encore that are made in South Korea. GM Korea has been responsible for developing GM's small cars for the past several years, including the Cruze and Sonic.