Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: WA State per mile tax versus gas tax

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    The Ruckus only gets 80? I had a 2013 Zuma 50 and I was getting 115 all the time. 4 stroke efi. I think ruckus is carbed?
    Yes, the Ruckus is carbed and has over 10,000 miles on it. So it's kinda worn out.

Skills: Cage fighting, computer chatting, making sweet moula

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 1.2 manual: 38.0 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by emdeplam View Post
    At least for the pilot, the approach is as follows:
    "...for purposes of the road usage charge pilot, we will utilize a 2.4 cents per mile mock charge across all vehicles statewide, which is equivalent to what the average car (20.5 mpg) in our state currently pays under the 49.4 cent per gallon gas tax."

So in theory if you currently get better mileage than 20.5 MPG you will pay more and if you get worse you will pay less per mile. I think this is the same structure that CA and OR are looking at as well.
    You're still paying 80% of the cost of gas for the gas itself. In my example that still makes high mileage a benefit (although somewhat less unfortunately).

Here in Maine they're talking about a flat tax on hybrids and in Washington D.C. I heard this morning that adding $0.25 / gallon tax is also being discussed.
    Last edited by 01-7700; 02-15-2018 at 02:25 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 1.2 manual: 38.0 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

I wonder how they plan to track your mileage? If it became mandatory here I'd be finding a way to bypass it. I'm not a big fan of being being tracked. What if I wanted to rob a bank or something? Photo radar is enough of an annoyance...

And wow, 12mpg? That's impressive, I thought my truck was bad on fuel. I usually don't get under 13 unless I'm towing heavy near the mountains or driving around town floored everywhere
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I wonder how they plan to track your mileage? If it became mandatory here I'd be finding a way to bypass it. I'm not a big fan of being being tracked. What if I wanted to rob a bank or something? Photo radar is enough of an annoyance...

And wow, 12mpg? That's impressive, I thought my truck was bad on fuel. I usually don't get under 13 unless I'm towing heavy near the mountains or driving around town floored everywhere
    The last few tankfuls it has been in the 6-8 mpg range from warm-ups and snow plowing. Really impressive !

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 01-7700 For This Useful Post:

Fummins (02-15-2018)

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by emdeplam View Post
    At least for the pilot, the approach is as follows:
    "...for purposes of the road usage charge pilot, we will utilize a 2.4 cents per mile mock charge across all vehicles statewide, which is equivalent to what the average car (20.5 mpg) in our state currently pays under the 49.4 cent per gallon gas tax."

So in theory if you currently get better mileage than 20.5 MPG you will pay more and if you get worse you will pay less per mile. I think this is the same structure that CA and OR are looking at as well.
    It might be a sleazy way to get more taxes?

Are Hybrids exempt from this? I know the city of London has hybrids exempt from congestion charges.
    Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Oregon's pilot program is charging 1.7 cents per mile for 2018.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    "Are Hybrids exempt from this? I know the city of London has hybrids exempt from congestion charges."

No hybrids and all electric cars get the same per mile tax as gas cars....at least in the proposal so far

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    I understand what you are saying, and am sorry if I breached any rules. To me, a 'political' discussion is something like, "Republicans are THIS! Oh, yeah? Well Democrats are THAT!" I didn't think I got anywhere near that line, but it may just be that I didn't know where the line was.

If the only permissible response to a post like this is, "The government is considering putting a mandated GPS tracking device in my car to make things fair! Yay! I can't wait!" then you might as well lock the thread now.
    No, you're cool. I just wanted to offer a general statement, that's all. Some topics like taxes tend to bring out the politics.

You, as most folks here, have the good sense to keep the discussion on the Mirage. For that, I am grateful.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (02-16-2018)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    So if I'm understanding this correctly there will be absolutely no incentive to drive fuel efficient vehicles under the per mile tax.
    That seems truly logical in this age of environmental protectionism.
    Those who drive gas guzzling carbon factories uneccessarily will finally get a long overdue break from discriminatory gas pricing and pass the costs on to we who drive responsible vehicles. Thank goodness someone is finally standing up for they who just can't make it to the office in anything less than a hummer.
    Equity at long last.
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to IchabodCrane For This Useful Post:

01-7700 (02-16-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    I still don't understand how the state replaces the gas taxes currently being paid by non-residents who drive in Washington. It seems to me the only way to do so is to charge residents more...

There is a gigantic Army/Air Force base in my area, Joint Base Lewis-McChord (JBLM). And there are thousands of military folks around here with vehicles registered in states all over the country who currently help support Washington's roads by paying the gas tax. The same would be true at Naval Base Kitsap, Whidbey Island NAS, Everett NAS, and Fairchild AFB over in the eastern part of the state.

This is in addition to those people who are simply visiting and/or driving through the state. Who, then, pays their share under this program?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

01-7700 (02-16-2018)