Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: WA State per mile tax versus gas tax

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Jalopnik chimes in with some thoughts:

Raising The Gas Tax To Fund Infrastructure Might Be A Necessary Evil, But Only For Now

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    This is BS. They just want money to spend it on their pet projects. I am IN CA and I hate it. I am considering getting out since its getting so insane and absurd. Here they passed so many laws to get money out of people and the ones that hurt the most are the low IQ that vote for them.
    mitsu's in the family

2024 Mirage SE

2021 Mirage ES CVT (Sold)
    2021 Outlander Sport 2.0 ES CVT (trade in)
    2018 Mirage G4 1.2 ES CVT (ex wife's car, crashed)
    2017 Mirage G4 1.2 ES CVT Smartphone Link Display Audio (SDA) System(Crashed)
    2015 Lancer SE 2.4 AWC (sold)
    2014 Mirage DE 1.2 Manual and BT (sold)
    2004 Galant DE (mom's sold)
    2000 Mirage DE 1.8 Auto (sold)
    1988 Cordia L Turbo (trade in)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage G4 ES CVT 1.2 automatic: 42.0 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by remusrm View Post
    This is BS. They just want money to spend it on their pet projects. I am IN CA and I hate it. I am considering getting out since its getting so insane and absurd. Here they passed so many laws to get money out of people and the ones that hurt the most are the low IQ that vote for them.
    Completely agree. With all the money Washington state gets in gas taxes the roads should be paved with gold. But 'transportation budget' means something different to you and me than it does to a bureaucrat. They spend the money on light rail boondoggles nobody is going to use, pay-to-play express lanes for rich people, on, and on, and on.

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Completely agree. With all the money Washington state gets in gas taxes the roads should be paved with gold. But 'transportation budget' means something different to you and me than it does to a bureaucrat. They spend the money on light rail boondoggles nobody is going to use, pay-to-play express lanes for rich people, on, and on, and on.
    Agreed. I took Government Accounting and government budgeting is pretty illogical.
    Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I wonder how they plan to track your mileage? If it became mandatory here I'd be finding a way to bypass it. I'm not a big fan of being being tracked. What if I wanted to rob a bank or something? Photo radar is enough of an annoyance...

And wow, 12mpg? That's impressive, I thought my truck was bad on fuel. I usually don't get under 13 unless I'm towing heavy near the mountains or driving around town floored everywhere
    His gallon is 3.8 liters and ours is 4.54 so it may be a wash...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES Plus 1.2 automatic: 37.9 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 01-7700 View Post
    With available technology i don't know why they need to charge all passenger vehicles at the same rate / mile. They could develop a formula based on mileage and consumption. As more people move to higher efficiency vehicles or as they decide they want more tax money they could just adjust the tax rate up across the board to compensate.
    An alternative formula might be mileage and engine displacement?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES Plus 1.2 automatic: 37.9 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 01-7700 View Post
    If I remember right from my engineering days, an 18 wheeler at 80,000 lbs is a million times more damaging to the roads than your average passenger car. They don't pay a million times more in taxes though.
    Another reason to lament the railway's loss of tonnage to the trucking industry...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to strawboss For This Useful Post:

daleWV (03-08-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thoughts on GPS trackers...

I used to work for a company that gave me a company truck. It would glitch out on occasion, and my supervisor and I would have a good laugh about his map showing a four cylinder Ranger going 120 mph in a residential neighborhood. That's because he was a reasonable and intelligent human being. When this data is collected, am I going to get a ticket every time this thing glitches out?

Also, stuff like this is too easy to defeat. Wrap the silly thing in metal mesh, ground the mesh to the chassis of the car. Plug it in to power, leave it hanging in a tree somewhere. Or just unplug it while driving. I have a bluetooth OBD2 adapter I use for vehicle diagnostics, and if you just drive around with it, it will eventually just fall out.

What stops someone from registering their vehicle in another state?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Tinker1980 For This Useful Post:

Marklovski (03-07-2018)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I know talking taxes never ends Well.

However, I think we should tax gas in accordance to the cost to the public for the emissions, risk of spills, and other environmental factors. Also, tax to increase mode share and safety of other transportation. Currently the taxes are so low they can’t pay for anything more than maintaining freeways in the USA. Most Funding that build everything is actually General Funds, not gas and registration, it cannot even cover half.

In many developed countries gas taxes are about 2-3 times the cost of the actual gas. In return, they have robust transit, bicycle infrastructure, well maintained roads, etc. they also tax 10-30% on a car purchase.
    We currently send over 70 billion a year in subsidies to fossil fuel companies. Which could instead be charged at the pump and that money spent on livability and the mentioned needs.

You are really pay more than what is assumed when it’s only $3 at the pump per gallon, you just don’t see it see it when you pump the gas. It’s lining the gas companies pockets. I’d prefer it be toward light rail and to enhance our mode share options anyday.

We are talking the Mirage as a car to Drive, we’d hardly hurt paying like someone in Germany. More people drive these cars over seas for good reasons.
    Also many countries wave taxes on EVs and in return something like 30% of new car sales are EV.
    Last edited by djkenny; 03-08-2018 at 11:01 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to djkenny For This Useful Post:

Eggman (03-08-2018)

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    ^ I have to disagree about not paying enough taxes. Much of the tax revenue is indeed wasted because of poor government budgeting. Tax revenue on Tobacco was wasted on more research on dangers of tobacco, but why? We know its bad for you. 100% of the taxes for roads actually don't go 100% towards roads.

Much of Japanese roads/Expressways are privatized and have some of the best roads in the world.

I'd also like to point out that my Cost Accounting Professor became part of a public school board with a $200 million budget in Washington State. He found they had no project managers nor auditors. Essentially government organizations are unfit to uphold proper budgeting and spending. I guess this is why you'll see some people rant about how government is inefficient.

Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire