Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sparco Aftermarket Wheel grinding on tie rod end

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Sparco Aftermarket Wheel grinding on tie rod end

I have aftermarket Sparco 14" rims on my car, and the inner lip of the driver's side rim rubs against the tie rod end when I turn the steering wheel all the way to the left (doesn't happen when turning right for some reason).

My question-do these cars have steering stops that I could adjust to prevent the grinding? Any other solutions? Maybe wheel spacers?

Thanks in advance. I can post pics if that would be helpful.

Moderator's note: x75x isn't the only forum member to have problems with the Sparco wheels - remusrm reports he had the same problem!

Last edited by Eggman; 03-14-2018 at 12:17 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 43.1 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    x75x I'm not aware of any adjustable stop. It may be that your rims are simply too wide for this application.

Some pictures might be helpful though.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    x75x I'm not aware of any adjustable stop. It may be that your rims are simply too wide for this application.

Some pictures might be helpful though.
    Here's the piece the inside of the rim rubs against. Note that, in this photo, the steering wheel is turned the direction opposite to when the issue occurs.

Funny thing about the wheels being too big-these wheels allegedly are a "fit" for our cars according to TireRack, and I've even seen them for sale at Mitsubishi dealers...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 43.1 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That part moves with the rim. Why does it only rub sometimes? Is the rim flexing during hard turning?
    Last edited by 01-7700; 02-20-2018 at 12:56 PM.
    Skills: Cage fighting, computer chatting, making sweet moula

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 1.2 manual: 38.0 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I think I have the same issue. I put it down to snow and slop but now I'm sure it's metal-metal contact. But, I still have my factory steel wheels in place. I have 175/75r14 snows on and maybe they allow the rubbing?

In any case it really is annoying, it feels like driving an old beater when it grinds.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    x75x
    Are you saying the grey mark on the end of steering knuckle is where it's rubbing or is the black section on the tie rod within your white circle that's rubbing?
    If it's the tie rod center that's rubbing then your tire sidewall is the culprit. This means you need more offset or spacers to compensate. The rim is likely a proper fit with stock tires but you're running slightly wider so it rubs at lock.
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to IchabodCrane For This Useful Post:

Daox (02-20-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It looks from the picture that the rub spot (if that is) is on a plane 45 degrees from the sidewall of the tire. Is the tire wobbling out that much ? Maybe a little air in the tire would fix that rubbing issue.
    Skills: Cage fighting, computer chatting, making sweet moula

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 1.2 manual: 38.0 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    All,

Thanks for the replies. That pic is actually not too helpful without further explanation, so I will elaborate. What's happening is the inner lip of the left, front wheel (highlighted with red in the attached pic-this is not my wheel, just using as an example) is rubbing against the middle of that tie rod end that's circled in the picture I previously posted. I am not exactly sure where the wheel and tie rod end are making contact, but the inner lip of the wheel is rubbing somewhere on that black bar.

Regarding the individual replies:

01-7700-it rubs every time I turn the wheel all the way to the left. I add air to my tires (39 psi) every other week, so I am sure this is not the issue. Sorry for any confusion-I realize my pics/explanations weren't clear.

Wallythacker-yes, it's very annoying. Luckily, it appears to just be an annoyance, as there's no damage to the tie rod end, and only superficial scraping on the inside of the rim.

IchabodCrane-it's rubbing somewhere on that black bar that's circled. So you do think a wheel spacer would work? That was my initial thought as well. Do you have any specific recommendations?

Name:  021.jpg
Views: 601
Size:  94.7 KB

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The X is approximately where the inner lip of the wheel is hitting the tie rod end.

Attachment 11375

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by x75x View Post
    The X is approximately where the inner lip of the wheel is hitting the tie rod end.

Attachment 11375
    Sorry, pic didn't come through. See here. Also, just ordered 1" wheel spacers. Hoping that solves the problem.

Attached Images Attached Images