Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I started designing an exhaust header the other day...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts

I started designing an exhaust header the other day...

I was kind of bored the other day at lunch, so I decided to start messing around with the idea of designing an exhaust header for the Mirage. You may or may not know it, but the stock exhaust manifold on the 14-15 Mirages is not the greatest from a flow perspective (the 17+ is better designed). Here is a picture of the 2014-2015 manifold.

Name:  Exhaust manifold+cat 2.jpg
Views: 2763
Size:  88.6 KB

So, I set about seeing if it would even be possible to cram a small tubular header into the Mirage. This design is intended to be a drop in replacement for the exhaust manifold. No other exhaust changes would be necessary at all. It would bolt right up with no other mods required. The CAT in the picture above would be retained. Just the small exhaust manifold itself would be replaced. No worries about emissions or deleting the CAT which is one thing I really don't like about the only other available headers (Supercircuit & Speedlab). The design intent would be to free up a few ponies, but also increase engine efficiency and fuel economy. So, kind of a 'well rounded' header.

At this point its extremely rough. If I end up cleaning it up, I need to take better measurements to make sure its clearing the firewall and all the junk on it. I'm sure the outlet is not exactly where its supposed to be, its just eyeballed at this point. As you can see, its pretty tight haha. But, its been fun messing around with it.

Name:  header01.jpg
Views: 2227
Size:  43.8 KB

Name:  header02.jpg
Views: 2201
Size:  51.5 KB

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

inuvik (02-20-2018),Top_Fuel (02-20-2018)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Just to clarify.. Your pic is of the pre '17 header. Yes?
    Also.. could you not simply install a '17 header, cut back existing exhaust to fit and weld on 1/2 the socket joint?
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    I was kind of bored the other day at lunch, so I decided to start messing around with the idea of designing an exhaust header for the Mirage. You may or may not know it, but the stock exhaust manifold on the 14-15 Mirages is not the greatest from a flow perspective (the 17+ is much better designed). Here is a picture of the 2014-2015 manifold.

Name:  Exhaust manifold+cat 2.jpg
Views: 2763
Size:  88.6 KB

So, I set about seeing if it would even be possible to cram a small tubular header into the Mirage. This design is intended to be a drop in replacement for the exhaust manifold. No other exhaust changes would be necessary at all. It would bolt right up with no other mods required. The CAT in the picture above would be retained. Just the small exhaust manifold itself would be replaced. No worries about emissions or deleting the CAT which is one thing I really don't like about the only other available headers (Supercircuit & Speedlab). The design intent would be to free up a few ponies, but also increase engine efficiency and fuel economy. So, kind of a 'well rounded' header.

At this point its extremely rough. If I end up cleaning it up, I need to take better measurements to make sure its clearing the firewall and all the junk on it. I'm sure the outlet is not exactly where its supposed to be, its just eyeballed at this point. As you can see, its pretty tight haha. But, its been fun messing around with it.

Name:  header01.jpg
Views: 2227
Size:  43.8 KB

Name:  header02.jpg
Views: 2201
Size:  51.5 KB
    You could also incorporate an intake air heater on that.
    Skills: Cage fighting, computer chatting, making sweet moula

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 1.2 manual: 38.0 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IchabodCrane View Post
    Correct, the picture posted is of a 2014-2015. I edited my post to clarify.

For additional clarification, here are some additional images.

2014-2015 manifold.

Name:  Exhaust manifold+cat.jpg
Views: 1703
Size:  92.6 KB

Name:  s-l400 (1).jpg
Views: 1251
Size:  16.4 KB

Name:  s-l400 (3).jpg
Views: 1354
Size:  14.7 KB

Name:  s-l400 (5).jpg
Views: 1396
Size:  16.5 KB

Stock manifold and Supercircuit header.

Name:  Mitsubishi Mirage 1.2 extractor & cat removal (c).jpg
Views: 1441
Size:  93.8 KB

Here are a few pictures of a 2017 exhaust manifold. Its a better design, but still not the greatest for flow. I forget if that is a Stivo header or what.

Name:  2016attrage.jpg
Views: 1605
Size:  95.8 KB

Name:  2016attrage2.jpg
Views: 1540
Size:  96.3 KB

Here is a picture comparing the two from the 3A92 engine history thread.

Also.. could you not simply install a '17 header, cut back existing exhaust to fit and weld on 1/2 the socket joint?
    I'm quite sure you could do this. I don't think its as good of a solution performance wise, but I do believe it would be better than the stock 14-15 manifold.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

I'm sure you could just install a 17' manifold/cat on a 15 without cutting. It looks like it'd bolt on and hook up to the existing exhaust. The 02 sensors are in a different spot though, not sure if the wires would reach. I'll try to get some pics to compare the two.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

IchabodCrane (02-20-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    But I don't see where to bolt up a turbocharger.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Angrybeaver (03-03-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I'm sure you could just install a 17' manifold/cat on a 15 without cutting. It looks like it'd bolt on and hook up to the existing exhaust. The 02 sensors are in a different spot though, not sure if the wires would reach. I'll try to get some pics to compare the two.
    There is some liklihood of this. However, the rear exhaust part number did change in 17. I'm not sure if the flanged connection point is the same between the 14/15 and 17+. In the one picture above showing both, it seems the 17+ flange is farther rearward. It would be great if it was in the same place though.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

Fummins (02-21-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    But I don't see where to bolt up a turbocharger.
    That feature is saved for version 2.0.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

Eggman (02-21-2018)

I'm pretty sure you guys are right, the exhaust is different. On a side note, I have a 17 in right now and the 2 rearmost exhaust hangers are loose and banging around. Car has 90000kms.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Alright, I roughly measured the firewall clearance the other day. It of course is closer than I had hoped, haha. So, I smushed the pipes back toward the engine a bit farther. I also moved the outlet closer to the flange, and closer to runner #1. Its probably still not where it needs to be, but I'm not sure I can get it much closer with the bends that are available. In any case, it doesn't look hugely different, but I made a lot of changes.

I think the next step will be to start actually measuring things accurately. I'd need to remove the exhaust manifold or buy a spare to do this.

Name:  header1.jpg
Views: 1346
Size:  71.7 KB

Name:  header2.jpg
Views: 1345
Size:  73.3 KB