Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I started designing an exhaust header the other day...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Mmmm screen savers.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Glad you're enjoying!
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    That's quite a bundle of snakes! Is there a certain length that each runner needs to be? Why not just take the shortest path?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Yes it is a bit snaky.

Basically, longer tubes help boost low rpm power. There isn't much penalty to lengthening the header tubes. Ideally, they should be 36-48" long. There just isn't room for that though. So, I made them as long as I can without it being ridiculous.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

Angrybeaver (03-13-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    whatever you make, be sure to put the damn oxygen sensor at the end of the header and not on one single pipe. super circuit claims using their header with an aftermarket exhaust results in no power gain, and actually a power loss. the reason is the oxygen sensor is reading only one exhaust port instead of all 3 like how the oem sensor does (just look a your stock pic vs ****-circuit header). even back when I was tuning honda's, kids would buy these cheap ebay headers where the oxygen sensor was only on one pipe of the 4, which resulted in incorrect performance, I used to recommend that if they don't want to spend money on ANOTHER manifold, to simply take it to a shop where they will close off the single oxygen sensor port and put one at the end where all 4 ports can be monitored correctly as it was meant to be. Afterwards they would see performance gains in their tunes compared to it reading only 1 exhaust port. same goes for the mirage and ****-circuits terrible choice of design.

also, I don't think you need to go crazy on the design aspect, especially extending the pipe length. there is no reason to have all that, not to mention its non turbo. now if you were making a turbo manifold and wanted equal length like a 3 port ram's horns, then okay yeah I can understand that from a spooling aspect, but on an N/A, increasing the length of the headers as well as adding in extra angles, you are simply reducing overall flow on a weak motor. just something to think about.