Page 9 of 87 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast

Thread: How much did you pay for your Mirage?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Thursday?

Well a new month has come, and the 0% for 72 months is over . . . replaced with a whopping $2500 discount on the base model. That pretty much makes up my mind! I'm going to see the dealer Thursday, and the sale might just be theirs to lose. On the web-site, it looks like the Canadian price for the ES (base, manual, no options) is under $13,000 out-the-door including tax. I am hopeful that we can start the negotiating there, and possibly go down a little rather than up a lot (Oh . . . you wanted lug nuts on your wheels . . . that costs extra). My plan was to wait until fall for the better sales, but honestly I don't see how much cheaper this inexpensive little car could really get. If they can install a block heater there isn't much more I need to negotiate for.

I'll let you know how it goes.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Wow! So it looks like they're matching the Nissan Micra's MSRP!

Mirage FTW!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Wow, that is craziness. $2500 off a $12500 car? Thats 20% off!
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

$9998 for a Mirage, matching the Micra's price is threadworthy!

I wasn't online today, so I'll go see if anyone else has posted it yet...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    First of all - guilty of cross posting - but hoping to get some timely info as I am going in to possibly buy tomorrow morning.

With the manufacture rebate of $2500, the price is good. Does the dealer still have room to offer further discounts? What is a reasonable expectation for a selling price now? Also, should I expect a better price for a car on the lot than for one that would be ordered in? Seems if $10k is the price, and delivery is charged anyway, I should be able to get any colour for $10k + delivery/fees/tax - and maybe one on the lot should be a bit less - or am I mistaken?

Thanks, and apologies for the cross-post - feel free to delete whichever you think is in the wrong place.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    If it was me, and it was in my area, I'd wait for an out the door price of no more than C$10,000-$10,500 for the base model.
    Last edited by cookiemonster; 06-04-2014 at 09:39 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to cookiemonster For This Useful Post:

Canoehead (06-04-2014)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cookiemonster View Post
    If it was me, and it was in my area, I'd push for an out the door price of C$11,000-$11,500 for the base model.
    OOps - just saw your edit. Disregard my post - obviously you are now talking pre-tax. Thanks.

Thanks!

Are you talking before sales tax or after? It seems that $11,448 is the price on the web-site for the car and freight/pdi. We pay 13% sales tax and $25 tire tax bringing it to $12,964. Are you suggesting I just ask for a little off ($0-$500), or that I could get a lot off ($1500-$2000)?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Your sales tax is much higher than mine, so for you, I'd push for an out the door of perhaps $11,500-12,000

From what I know, dealerships try to make at least a $1,000 profit per car ... so at $10k MSRP with mfr rebates, they're still making money. The actual cost to the dealership for Freight+PDI is probably closer to $200, not $1,450 (from your $11,448 figure).

So, I'd start with $9,998 + $200 (real freight & pdi) + tax on the 9998 + tire tax + $1,250 dealer profit = $12,775 ... cut out the dealer's profit, ending up with ~$11,500 out the door. You might be able to go even further down, I'm sure the dealer makes some profit on the $9,998 as well ...

But that's just my somewhat educated guesses, you're kilometers might vary
    Last edited by cookiemonster; 06-04-2014 at 10:36 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    About 7 years ago we test drove a base model Chevy AVEO 4 door hatchback with a 5 speed manual and without A/C . This was because the sale price was $7,999 ( maybe $6,999 ) . The clutch and shifting were fairly easy . Did pass on it . Would of been a fine car for around town to do errands and save some $ on gas .
    Last edited by cinder; 06-05-2014 at 03:16 AM.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Canoehead View Post
    First of all - guilty of cross posting - but hoping to get some timely info as I am going in to possibly buy tomorrow morning.

With the manufacture rebate of $2500, the price is good. Does the dealer still have room to offer further discounts? What is a reasonable expectation for a selling price now? Also, should I expect a better price for a car on the lot than for one that would be ordered in? Seems if $10k is the price, and delivery is charged anyway, I should be able to get any colour for $10k + delivery/fees/tax - and maybe one on the lot should be a bit less - or am I mistaken?

Thanks, and apologies for the cross-post - feel free to delete whichever you think is in the wrong place.
    So - the results - I do not have a new Mirage.

I went in expecting to pay what the "build and price" calculator suggested ($13k even), but hoping to pay a little less though my skillful negotiating (not skillful at all, really).

Here is what I learned from both dealers:
    The included charge for PDI doesn't actually mean PDI - there is an additional $500 charge for PDI.
    The dealer fees of $600 are also not included.

The first one I visited also noted these extras:
    There is a paperwork charge - the dealership has no control over this, they say.
    There are a few other mysterious fees that will be explained later.
    The first price offered to me was fully $1800 over the msrp/web calculator price.

Now, somewhere in there (called either accessories or dealer fees), they do include a block heater, wheel locks, a tank of gas, and nitrogen in the tires. Still, it all seemed a bit excessive and the fees a bit arbitrary. So, after visiting both dealers in town and discussing several options (ordering a new one, getting snow tires included, bringing in one from out of town), the absolute best price they could offer is $13,900 out the door (though I hadn't accepted, so I don't know what the next office held in store for add-ons). There is only one Mirage ES in the Province of Manitoba (population 1 million), so I'll have to hurry if I want it (and forget about end of month sales etc).

Funny but true - I very likely would have cheerfully paid $14k for the car if I left this morning expecting to pay that. I find the nature of this business distasteful, and don't really want to deal with it. By contrast, my local mechanic seems like the sort of man country singers go on about - solid/strong/honest/straight-shooting. I'll be giving him my business and he can keep the old Ford running.