Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brake warning light

Brake warning light

I've got a 17' that the brake warning "!" symbol is lit up. It has brake fluid and the e-brake is fully released. Has anyone else ran into this. All the brake lights work properly. I don't think my scanner can read anything other than basic engine lights on this thing.

Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

So far I unplugged the ebrake switch, and the fluid level switch on the master cylinder. Light still comes on, but not until the car is running for about 20 seconds, after doing a systems check I assume as the low washer light doesn't come on until about 3-5 seconds after car is started.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Off to the stealership it goes. I'm thinking a wiring or module problem around the lh footrest. I started doing the wiggle test in that area and the brake light flickered a bit. It still has under 100000kms so someone else can deal with it. The low washer fluid light stays on after I filled it up as well, I wonder if the 2 problems are related.
    Mirage videos:

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Hey Fummins the service manual says the brake warning light is used as a warning light for parking brake, brake fluid level, and EBD control. Seems you covered the first two, have you checked your EBD?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

I assume that is part of the abs. I stopped trying and just took it in. The dealer is close by and were able to get it in the shop today,
    I'm not in a panic to get this one back on the road today so might as well get it fixed for free especially since it doesn't seem to be a quick fix. Still haven't heard from them but I know they have it in the shop. It's nice having gps tracking.
    Mirage videos:

I just got a call. They think it's the cluster and ordered one in. They didn't sound overly confident that's gonna fix it. Just said they'll change that first then try something else if that doesn't fix it.
    Last edited by Fummins; 02-22-2018 at 09:46 PM. Reason: I'm less grouchy now
    Mirage videos:

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Well, they've certainly gotten enough business from your boss.

Sounds as if they don't know how to properly diagnose this. There must be a diagnostic code in there somewhere.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

You shoulda stuck the worn out starter in it too, since you were sending it in.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Fummins (02-23-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The whole instrument cluster?

I know I speak for everyone but I really appreciate your posts as it helps us for possible future repairs when they might come up. You having a fleet and all. Plus fleet cars are under much more wear and tear.

If there was an abs light I'm sure there'd be a code stored. Can't be certain about the brake light and I doubt it with the washer fluid. They tested the washer fluid level sensor and it was fine. The washer light comes on everytime a few seconds after turning the key on. The brake light sometimes comes on instantly and stays on and sometimes waits 20-30 seconds and when it comes on it flickers on and off like it has a bad connection then stays on constantly. It's totally possible it was just a coincidence it was flickering when I was wiggling wires. It's weird.

We were joking about changing the starter while it was running then drive it there for the airbag recall lol. They might wonder why all the bolts look like they've been removed.

And yeah, from my understanding they're wanting to replace the entire cluster.

Mirage videos: