Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Clutch Failure on 2015 DE 5-Spd (Update: damaged clutch disc)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yep, I'm following you! The clutch disk doesn't seem to be giving me problems, no slipping, no odd noises, no loss in performance. I'm not sure what else would be noticable if the disk was damaged/broken. The throwout bearing isn't making any noise, I know it's supposed to be really noticable if it's worn or damaged.

I really wish there was an inspection hole, but I've yet to find one.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    If you think the clutch is okay, then that leaves the transmission input shaft - maybe a loose bearing.

Ick. Might be time to call your service department, and hope that warranty covers things.

Mind if I ask what other service you've had done?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    New Update: Fiddled with the cable adjustment some more, now the car won't go into any gear at all, can't force it either. Cable is adjusted back to where it was working, also tried it's original spot, video'd the cable was working. Now I have nothing. No sounds, no gear engagement period. Clutch pedal goes down, cable pulls lever, nothing happens.

As far as other services go I haven't done anything other than change the oil, brakes, and tires. It's been bulletproof until today. The dealership won't do anything without a diagnosis and subsiquant fee, but it looks like that might be what I have to do.

If a part failed that is covered under warranty they shouldn't charge you a dime. But I'd find out exactly what is covered and what isn't. Or if you are handy, have a garage and spare time tear it apart yourself. They're not all that bad.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    If a part failed that is covered under warranty they shouldn't charge you a dime.
    True, we were trying to figure this out without going to a dealer since money is critically tight. Unfortunately, the car won't shift at all now while the engine is running, so it looks like a new clutch is my sentence. Finding clutch kits for these other than OEM seems impossible.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by VintageBandit View Post
    Unfortunately, the car won't shift at all now while the engine is running
    Wow. Imagine if this happened while you were out and about - that would be worse expecting to grab a gear and then this.

Well here's hoping it's nothing big. Let us know what happens next.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Sure sounds like throwout bearing problem to me.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Wonder what the factory warranty is on the clutch assembly? Isn't this usually one of those things that manufacturers usually cover for only 12,000 miles or something?!?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hey VintageBandit any updates?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Wonder what the factory warranty is on the clutch assembly? Isn't this usually one of those things that manufacturers usually cover for only 12,000 miles or something?!?
    Since it's a friction part, like brakes, it may not have any coverage at all. Which means we need to pay attention to the reason why this clutch failed so we can take steps perhaps to avoid it ourselves.

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Wallythacker For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (03-05-2018)