Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
I take the factory one off and throw it in the garbage during the first oil change. It's way easier to remove that way! Then just use an aluminum one that LOOKS like this:https://www.amazon.com/Aluminum-Engine-Washer-Gaskets-94109-140-00/dp/B00X8DDMQA I don't know the size off hand. They last a long time if you don't want to replace them every time and aren't a pita to remove.
I agree with Fummins' advice/suggestion. I haven't had my Mirage that long, but one of my former vehicles (2000 Honda CRV) had the aluminum drain plug gasket. I always kept a spare aluminum gasket handy, but they seldom needed to be replaced. Honda suggested replacing them with each oil change, but I found that not to be necessary. They lasted through several oil changes, and I owned that vehicle for years with no issues.

Tossing the original crushed washer is the thing to do for sure. The original washer is easy to overlook, because it's crushed so thin & painted black like the drain plug. Others have mentioned this, but places like AutoZone have assortment packs. Living over 10 miles from town, I had bought one of these prior to my first oil change. I didn't want to make a second trip to town for a lousy washer, & I was a little uncertain on what I would need the first time doing this.

Within the AutoZone pack (M14), I would feel comfortable using the aluminum gasket, copper gasket, and the one that is a combination of metal/rubber. The nylon gaskets seems sort of thick for the shortness of the stock drain plug threads, but they may even be ok. I lean toward using the aluminum or copper gaskets, because I have had good luck with them on a different car.

I have always done my own oil changes. I have never used a Fumoto oil drain plug valve, but I am giving it some consideration. Since the drain hole is on the back side of the oil pan, I would feel comfortable using a Fumoto valve if it doesn't stick out to much below the oil pan. I would appreciate anyone's insight on that. Would one Fumoto style (for example: F106, F106S, or F106SX) work better than another on a Mirage oil pan?

I appreciate everyone's great advice on this forum! Thanks!