Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mitsu's new CEO is a "Rock Star Truck Guy." What does that mean for the Mirage?

Mitsu's new CEO is a "Rock Star Truck Guy." What does that mean for the Mirage?

Anybody else see this news about the new CEO for Mitsu's North American division?

Mitsubishi's New CEO Is An Industry Rock Star Who Specializes In Trucks

Having spent a significant portion of his career at Chrysler, his big rise to fame was when he was in charge of splitting off RAM from Dodge to make it its own brand. He then went on to run RAM for a few years with great success. Other automakers noticed and Nissan later poached him to revitalize its own pickup trucks. The latest Titan is mainly his doing.
    Article: https://carbuzz.com/news/mitsubishi-...izes-in-trucks

That announcement dovetails with this statement made in Mitsu Canada's latest sales press release:

March 1, 2018 Momentum is building for Mitsubishi Motor Sales of Canada as it repositions itself as an SUV company.
    We already know the company is banking on new & redesigned SUV's & CUV's like the newly available Outlander PHEV, which has been a hit in Europe, and the brand new Eclipse Cross:

The company has no plans to replace the outgoing Lancer sedan, leaving the Mirage as the odd duck in an all-truck lineup. Where does the Mirage fit in a "SUV company"?

The Mirage helped tide over North America dealers while the trucks were being readied. Once they're here, I can see a case for dropping it -- it no longer fits with the "brand image". And many in the "big name" U.S. automotive media would cheer the Mirage's demise. Mitsu surely knows that dropping it would result in writers saying things like "the company is finally getting serious."

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    next year the Mirage will come with AWD - a micro SUV
    Skills: Cage fighting, computer chatting, making sweet moula

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 1.2 manual: 38.0 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

Ha! And a 1 inch lift.

Forgot about this thread:
    Thread: How long before Mitsubishi "SUV-ifies" the Mirage?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    SUV, stupid useless vehicle. Most can't even offroad. Mirage doesn't need AWD IMO.
    Last edited by Marklovski; 03-17-2018 at 08:17 PM.
    Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Marklovski For This Useful Post:

Alex1a1f (03-05-2018),Daox (03-12-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    So, trucks & SUVs?

Does anyone know why Mitsubishi doesn't import the Pajero (Montero in North America)? If SUVs are the way to build the brand here in North America, as well as improve profitability, and Mitsubishi is introducing the Eclipse Cross (another SUV) it seems to me the Pajero would be a logical choice.

Edmunds seems to think that the model didn't keep up with the market.

Edmunds.com: Mitsubishi Montero Review

Quote Originally Posted by Edmunds.com
    In the three generations and 24 years that the Montero was sold here, Mitsubishi moved it upscale in terms of size, power and class. But all the way through, the Montero never lost its roots as an off-road-worthy vehicle. Four-wheel drive was always standard, and specialty items such as locking differentials and adjustable shock absorbers were available on the second-generation Montero.

Unfortunately, this off-road bias became increasingly at odds with the way many Americans drove their SUVs. The Mitsubishi Montero was tall, heavy and high off the ground, and consequently felt slow-witted on the street. For the third generation, Mitsubishi made fundamental shifts to the Montero's hardware and driving character in hopes of improving the vehicle's appeal. It wasn't enough, however, as this model suffered in regards to on-road performance, engine power and interior roominess. Furthermore, the Montero received some injurious publicity when Consumer Reports reported that this midsize SUV had a susceptibility to rolling over in high-speed turns.

While the Montero was reborn for a fourth life in other nations, Mitsubishi decided America's midsize SUV needs would be better filled by the more efficient, more street-oriented Endeavor crossover. That's a sentiment we share, though the Montero still deserves a look for those shoppers needing a used SUV with solid off-road credentials.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Marklovski View Post
    SUV, stupid useless vehicle. Most can even offroad. Mirage doesn't need AWD IMO.
    Could all that extra hardware even fit in the Mirage chassis?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I'd like a 3 cyl 4wd pickup. Under $15k. And gets 40 MPG. And lasts 300k+ miles. Thanks Mitsubishi

9. The Following User Says Thank You to tomrad For This Useful Post:

Wallythacker (03-17-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tomrad View Post
    I'd like a 3 cyl 4wd pickup. Under $15k. And gets 40 MPG. And lasts 300k+ miles. Thanks Mitsubishi
    Like this? Mitsubishi Minicab
    Or this? Mitsubishi Pajero Mini

Eggman, google ' chicken tax'.

Import duties make it prohibitive for imported pickup trucks. They would have to build it in the US.

Side note: I was at a pub last evening that had a hockey game on one of the TV's, and HOLY COW, they're advertising the Eclipse Cross like mad. Every. Single. Commercial break. Crazy.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Eggman, google 'chicken tax'.

Import duties make it prohibitive for imported pickup trucks. They would have to build it in the US.
    I know the Chicken Tax - it's hilarious. It helped save Jeep. I think I got that connection through Freakonomics or some such.

Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Side note: I was at a pub last evening that had a hockey game on one of the TV's, and HOLY COW, they're advertising the Eclipse Cross like mad. Every. Single. Commercial break. Crazy.
    It appears Mitsubishi is adding to their advertising budget, doesn't it? For years they didn't have many commercials and now the new product introduction is out in full force.

Funny how the Mirage didn't get this treatment? I suppose MMNA knew the Mirage wouldn't be a big brand booster, and the model would wind up selling itself so why spend (waste?) the money.