Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Drain plug crush washer

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Drain plug crush washer

So I never change the washers on drain plugs and never have a leaking issue.

That streak ended.

I was able to get 2 changed without a leak and on the 3rd change I had a 2 or 3 drop leak overnight and that was after giving her another 1/4 turn.
    So change those washers!

Those things are 2.49 each at the dealer he went to 1.90 for me. Actually didn't see cheaper online but see Dorman has a 3 pack for 2.99 so I'll go with those unless any of you have a better place to go???

That orig. Crush washer was so flat it didn't look like it was even on There! I had to use a razor blade to pry it up haha.
    All good now!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pryme For This Useful Post:

daleWV (03-03-2018),Daox (03-12-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Exact same thing happened on my '17. Two oil changes. Tiny drip only when oil was hot no matter how tight I made the bolt. The crush washer was so thin it was like nothing was there, had to pry it off with a knife. Crush washer for my motorcycle was exactly the right size so I used one of them to fix it.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    What kind of washers are you guys using? I'm using a copper one right now.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    I bought a whole package of OEM ones when I bought my case of OEM filters. The first one lasted through about 7-8 oil changes.

They have been changed each time since.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    We have some threads that discuss oil drain plugs & washers.

Top_Fuel replaced his drain plug with a magnetic plug and bought a pack of washers.

Dripping Oil Drain Plug Fixed

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    ...So I headed up to AutoZone and picked up a $4 assortment of M14 drain plug washers. While I was there, I saw that that they had a magnetic drain plug that fit the Mirage, so I went ahead and picked one up for $5.
    He has a good write-up with part numbers and other details.

Does anyone have a list of part numbers for all the various washers? It would be good to have that list in one easy-to-find place.

Alex1a1f has done away with the drain plug & washer setup and uses a Fumoto oil drain valve.

Fumoto Oil Drain Valve Specs

Quote Originally Posted by Alex1a1f View Post
    ...I have had the same valve (F106S) and elbow (L-001) for well over 500,000 miles and can vouch for their reliability. I know I would never go without one. :-)

If you're worried about the valve opening, you don't need to. The valve is spring loaded and needs to be lifted
    before it is turned. However, they do make some clips (listed below) to ease those worries.

I thought I'd throw some information and pictures down for anyone interested for themselves.

Again, we have another good, detailed post with a discussion on the merits of these valves.

I put on a Fumoto oil drain valve and expect that I won't have to worry about the washer - though I don't do a lot of oil changes. My favorite aspect of this valve is I am able to attach a section of hose to route the drain into an old oil bottle with no mess. This also makes it easy to collect a sample for analysis.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Daox (03-12-2018),Top_Fuel (03-03-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    We have some threads that discuss oil drain plugs & washers.

Top_Fuel replaced his drain plug with a magnetic plug and bought a pack of washers.

Dripping Oil Drain Plug Fixed

He has a good write-up with part numbers and other details.

Does anyone have a list of part numbers for all the various washers? It would be good to have that list in one easy-to-find place.

Alex1a1f has done away with the drain plug & washer setup and uses a Fumoto oil drain valve.

Fumoto Oil Drain Valve Specs

Again, we have another good, detailed post with a discussion on the merits of these valves.

I put on a Fumoto oil drain valve and expect that I won't have to worry about the washer - though I don't do a lot of oil changes. My favorite aspect of this valve is I am able to attach a section of hose to route the drain into an old oil bottle with no mess. This also makes it easy to collect a sample for analysis.
    Once these washers and filters...and powertrain warranty...are gone, I am going Fumoto. Had one on my Metro and loved it!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'd be worried about something like a rock bouncing up and knocking that thing off and you would never know it until your engine starts knocking when it's out of oil.
    Cool concept though. If there was a guard in front maybe.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    I'd be worried about something like a rock bouncing up and knocking that thing off and you would never know it until your engine starts knocking when it's out of oil.
    That's why I keep the drain plug in my glove box in a little plastic bag.

I notice that some of the Fumoto valves pictured use what looks like fiber washers/gaskets.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    Cool concept though. If there was a guard in front maybe.
    500k + on mine and it still works perfectly. It would take more than a rock to destroy it to the point of it leaking oil.
    (blank signature)

I take the factory one off and throw it in the garbage during the first oil change. It's way easier to remove that way! Then just use an aluminum one that LOOKS like this:https://www.amazon.com/Aluminum-Engi.../dp/B00X8DDMQA I don't know the size off hand. They last a long time if you don't want to replace them every time and aren't a pita to remove.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

daleWV (03-05-2018)