Thread: Any kayak owners out there?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Any kayak owners out there?

Howdy folks -

I have been thinking about purchasing a tandem kayak over the past few years and I might finally invest in one this year. I think it would provide great bonding time for my eldest son and I to get out and explore the many lakes and rivers in our area.

A couple questions, if there are any kayak/Mirage owners out there -

1. Tandem kayaks, likely being 10-12 feet in length. Should I expect the length to be a problem hauling on the Mirage roof?

2. Would the Mirage plastic radio antenna get in the way? Is it removable? (I'll check it myself as soon as the weather behaves)

3. I don't have any sort of roof racks or bars yet. I am looking at the difference between the "foam pads and straps" method, and the actual roof bars and kayak rack mounts from vendors like Thule. Any experience with either/or?

4. Kayak owners - do you have any pics of your transport setup on your Mirage?

Regards

ISP_guy

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ISP_guy For This Useful Post:

Eggman (03-06-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    2. The antenna does screw out of the base, so that shouldn't be an issue.

3. I've used the foam pads and straps with a canoe on a pickup truck, they work very well and are easy to put on and take off. I don't think it's worth investing in roof racks unless you know you'll be using them often.

Unfortunately I've never used that setup on the Mirage, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. The roof might cave a bit (I can hear it pop just going through the air dryer at the car wash) but hopefully the weight distribution over the foam pads would prevent that.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 42.7 mpg (US) ... 18.1 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.2 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to anog For This Useful Post:

ISP_guy (03-07-2018)

FYI some related info here:

Thread: Carrying Kayaks on roof (does antenna come off roof?)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

ISP_guy (03-07-2018)