Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: TPMS sensors - Not under warranty if tires have been changed?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    I should have also mentioned that you can totally disable the TPMS system with ETACs decoder.
    That's interesting! Wonder why you can't at least read the sensor IDs?

I think there's something unique about the way a Mirage is set up. My impression is that a lot of these TPMS tool manufacturers have firmware that works with the Outlander...and they just assume that it will work with a Mirage. But it doesn't for some reason. Everyone seems shocked when I tell them their product does NOT work on a Mirage.

I'm not getting any further with the tool I have. The Chinese support guys were excellent. But they handed me off to some guy in New York and I haven't heard anything since.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    That's interesting! Wonder why you can't at least read the sensor IDs?

I think there's something unique about the way a Mirage is set up. My impression is that a lot of these TPMS tool manufacturers have firmware that works with the Outlander...and they just assume that it will work with a Mirage. But it doesn't for some reason. Everyone seems shocked when I tell them their product does NOT work on a Mirage.

I'm not getting any further with the tool I have. The Chinese support guys were excellent. But they handed me off to some guy in New York and I haven't heard anything since.
    I completely agree. Pisses me off that we get to beta-test so many of these products. I guess that is just the downside of owning a relatively low-volume car. It's almost like there is an additional step or sub-menu in the Mirage's ETACS system that these tools can't compensate for?

Bummed to hear that your latest tool isn't working...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    It's almost like there is an additional step or sub-menu in the Mirage's ETACS system that these tools can't compensate for?
    Yeah...exactly. They just need to see some actual software feedback to debug it. I'm not done bothering US customer support yet...so there's still hope.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts

TPMS cloning???

Car manufacturers & TPMS somewhat annoy me. I don’t have a problem with the safety factor associated with having TPMS wheels. I just wish they were more universal.

Southwest Wisconsin is somewhat hilly, & I live a distance from town on a ridge in a rural area. I like having two sets of tires. Snow tires or not, I like running newer tires in the winter. I also like using up my older set of tires in the summer. Going to a dealership to have my TPMS reprogrammed every time I switch wheels is never going happen. Cloning a second set of tires to your original should be easy!

Although I haven’t investigated this extensively, I’ve reached a number of dead ends in my search for the “Holy Grail” of Mirage TPMS cloning.

If anyone knows of a company, system, and/or device that can complete this task, I would appreciate hearing about. Yes, I’ve heard others say it can be done. Yet, I get nothing but dead end discussions when talking with mechanics and auto parts stores in my area. I would love to enlighten them & be enlightened myself.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    If anyone knows of a company, system, and/or device that can complete this task, I would appreciate hearing about.
    The tool I currently have (Autel TS501) can read and clone sensors. It only clones their own brand of TPMS sensors...but most/all manufacturers are doing it this way. There's no universal tool out there for cloning sensors.

The key is you want to know your sensor IDs NOW. If you wait until a TPMS sensor dies, you may not be able to read the ID from it. Then the only way to know that ID is to have a Mitsubishi dealer use their scan tool to tell you. That's $100+ fee at my local dealer.

I was able to use my tool to quickly read all 4 of my sensor IDs directly from the sensor. So now if one dies, I will know which one it is (because I will be able to use my tool to determine the IDs of the 3 sensors that are still alive). I went one step further. I actually made labels with my sensor IDs and stuck them inside my wheels the last time I rotated my tires. So even if something happens and I don't have my tool, I still know the sensor ID of each wheel.

I can also clone my own sensors with this tool. I can find a set of 4 cloneable Autel TPMS sensors on eBay for about $120. So I've got the system beat. I'm just pissed that my tool can't read IDs from the computer. But I'm still working with the manufacturer to get this solved.

I just bought a cloneable sensor and I'm going to try cloning one of my sensors this weekend.

I would recommend to everyone to have a tire shop scan the IDs of your sensors WHILE THEY STILL WORK so you know the IDs. Even if they charge you $20, it will be worth it when a sensor dies. Most tire shops are now selling and cloning sensors.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Daox (03-15-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    If you don’t have your original wheels and tires on your car, the dealer may not honor the warranty on your TPMS sensors.

This is something I never thought about…and it shouldn’t impact most of us anyway. I took my car in to the dealer last week to check on my flashing TPMS light. Here’s how the conversation went…

Me : I think I have a dead TPMS sensor. My TPMS light just started flashing. Can you check it out?

Service Manager : Sure. Have you had new tires put on the car?

Me : Yes…about 2 years ago.

Service Manager : The warranty won’t cover the TPMS sensors if the original tires have been changed.

Me: Umm…OK. Just have the tech check them and call me.

Service Manager : No problem. The diagnostic fee is $105. I just need your signature here.

Me : Smiling…but in my mind I’m choking the life out of the Service Manager.

So the implication seems to be that if anyone (other than the dealer) has touched your OEM sensors, they are out of warranty. My guess is if you spent $500 on a set of replacement Enasaves from the dealer, they would probably still cover you.

OEM TPMS sensors should last beyond the 5 year/60,000 mile warranty. So for most people, this isn’t a big deal. But sooner or later, this is probably going to burn someone. I’ve had OEM sensors fail in under 5 years on other vehicles.

In my case, the sensor that failed was not an OEM sensor (that’s a whole other story! )

Good thing I had an extra OEM Mirage TPMS sensor that I bought on eBay last year. I just had the dealer install that one instead of the new one they offered for $100 + $50 installation + the $105 diagnostic fee
    They are covered unless they were damaged by your tire installer/repairer.
    At least in the USA under the Magnuson Moss act

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Let us know!

I just bought a cloneable sensor and I'm going to try cloning one of my sensors this weekend.

I would recommend to everyone to have a tire shop scan the IDs of your sensors WHILE THEY STILL WORK so you know the IDs. Even if they charge you $20, it will be worth it when a sensor dies. Most tire shops are now selling and cloning sensors.
    Please let us know how this goes for you. I've been told tire sensors are stamped with a number. We have several auto parts stores (NAPA, Federated Auto Parts, O'Reillys, & AutoZone) in our community, but only one of them clones tire sensors for our local mechanics/tire guys. In most cases, they are just replacing a single failed sensor.

When I inquired about this, the auto parts store wanted the failed sensor to clone it. They wanted the number physically stamped on the sensor. They specifically said, "Just bring in the failed sensor. As long as we can read the numbers stamped on it, we can clone it." Next they asked me what type of car I was interested in doing this for. I told them a 2017 Mirage. They looked it up, and told me they couldn't help me. I don't think they were prejudice against the Mirage. They just made it clear their system wouldn't work on a Mirage.

I would like to have a second set of wheels that are cloned to my original factory wheels. If someone has had success doing this, I would like to know how it was done. I am looking for someone that is able to go from a winter set of tires to a summer set of tires without doing anything at all. I realize disabling the TMPS warning system accomplishes that, but that defeats the purpose of having the warning system in the first place.

If you have success this weekend, please let us know. Thanks for your response, too!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    OEM sensors have their IDs stamped or printed on them.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Daox (03-16-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

what I thought

Thanks for confirming that! That's why I sort of questioned in my mind why you would pay someone to read your tire sensors in case they fail some day? If a TPMS fails, you would be removing it anyways. At that point, you'll know the ID.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I didn't realize that.

I just verified this. Here is the used OEM sensor I just installed in my Mirage. You can see the ID printed on it (it's hexadecimal for all you geeks out there )...

Name:  TPMS1.jpg
Views: 607
Size:  97.2 KB

The only advantage of knowing your IDs ahead of time is that when a sensor dies, you don't need to dismount a tire to figure out the ID you need to clone into a replacement sensor. With the tool I have, I can clone the dead sensor ahead of time and take it with me to the shop. The only challenge at that point might be finding a cooperative shop. I can see some places saying something like "we won't install other TPMS sensors...you have to buy ours and we'll clone it for you." I don't think my local Discount Tire would care.

Last edited by Top_Fuel; 03-16-2018 at 03:50 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Daox (03-16-2018)