Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: TPMS sensors - Not under warranty if tires have been changed?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    I believe the number stamped to the right of the ID number is a date code..."131026" would translate to October 26, 2013?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (03-17-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    I believe the number stamped to the right of the ID number is a date code..."131026" would translate to October 26, 2013?
    Looks like it, doesn't it? Here's an OEM sensor that's on eBay right now...and 141120 sure looks like a date code.

Name:  fff.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  57.0 KB

That would come in handy if you were buying a used sensor. I can barely read the numbers on some of these without taking a photo and blowing it up. I'm glad you're noticing these things.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts

clarification

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    I didn't realize that.

I just verified this. Here is the used OEM sensor I just installed in my Mirage. You can see the ID printed on it (it's hexadecimal for all you geeks out there )...

Attachment 11522

The only advantage of knowing your IDs ahead of time is that when a sensor dies, you don't need to dismount a tire to figure out the ID you need to clone into a replacement sensor. With the tool I have, I can clone the dead sensor ahead of time and take it with me to the shop. The only challenge at that point might be finding a cooperative shop. I can see some places saying something like "we won't install other TPMS sensors...you have to buy ours and we'll clone it for you." I don't think my local Discount Tire would care.
    I appreciate everyone's input. When you replaced your sensor with a used one, are you reprogramming your car to the new sensor or have you cloned it to the old one? I sort of assume you are reprogramming your Mirage to the replacement sensor, but just want to make sure.

I know sensors are being cloned on various vehicles. I am just wondering if anyone has had success cloning the Mirage's factory installed sensors?

I haven't asked any Mitsubishi dealership this question. I've only talked to local auto parts stores & tire shops/mechanics, which have resulted in dead ends. Good info!

Thanks!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    When you replaced your sensor with a used one, are you reprogramming your car to the new sensor or have you cloned it to the old one?
    I didn't have a TPMS tool at the time. So I had the dealer install the used OEM sensor that I already had, and then they programmed that new ID in my car's computer using their scan tool (for a total cost of around $170! ). I'm NEVER doing that again.

If I had just waited until I had my current tool, I could have written the dead TPMS ID into a programmable sensor (these are the ones my tool can program). Then I could have had any tire shop in town install the sensor with no other programming required.

I just purchased a single programmable sensor to try it out. I'm going to clone one of my sensors this weekend to test it.

If you find 315 MHz sensors that can be programmed (and you know your existing sensor IDs), you don't need the dealer for anything. I think most competent tire shops can do this now...because cloning is the most painless way for a shop to deal with all makes and models of cars with TPMS systems.

I've checked with a couple of local tire shops and they carry programmable sensors and will clone them.
    Last edited by Top_Fuel; 03-17-2018 at 04:52 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts

Let us know how it goes

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post

If you find 315 MHz sensors that can be programmed (and you know your existing sensor IDs), you don't need the dealer for anything. I think most competent tire shops can do this now...because cloning is the most painless way for a shop to deal with all makes and models of cars with TPMS systems.

I've checked with a couple of local tire shops and they carry programmable sensors and will clone them.
    Sadly, we don't have a competent tire shop in our area when it comes to TPMS. Cloning sensors for my Mirage did not happen when I added a pair of new snow tires to the front of my Mirage last fall. I couldn't find anyone who could clone a pair of sensors for the Mirage, nor did I sense any desire on their part to help me. I just used them without the sensors & lived with the warning light. Not a big deal! I've removed the snow tires yesterday. Warning light is gone once again!

If we get blasted with more snow in Wisconsin, I might be to blame. I am trying to be optimistic! Then again, I have Subaru Forester parked next to my Mirage with 4 snow tires still on it. I am not taking that much of a risk!

Please share how the cloning goes. I want to enlighten my local mechanic. He's the type of guy that would allow me to clone my own sensors and still install them for me. I work for a driving school school, too. He services all our vehicles, & I have a great relationship with him.