Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TPMS sensors - Not under warranty if tires have been changed?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts

TPMS sensors - Not under warranty if tires have been changed?

If you don’t have your original wheels and tires on your car, the dealer may not honor the warranty on your TPMS sensors.

This is something I never thought about…and it shouldn’t impact most of us anyway. I took my car in to the dealer last week to check on my flashing TPMS light. Here’s how the conversation went…

Me : I think I have a dead TPMS sensor. My TPMS light just started flashing. Can you check it out?

Service Manager : Sure. Have you had new tires put on the car?

Me : Yes…about 2 years ago.

Service Manager : The warranty won’t cover the TPMS sensors if the original tires have been changed.

Me: Umm…OK. Just have the tech check them and call me.

Service Manager : No problem. The diagnostic fee is $105. I just need your signature here.

Me : Smiling…but in my mind I’m choking the life out of the Service Manager.

So the implication seems to be that if anyone (other than the dealer) has touched your OEM sensors, they are out of warranty. My guess is if you spent $500 on a set of replacement Enasaves from the dealer, they would probably still cover you.

OEM TPMS sensors should last beyond the 5 year/60,000 mile warranty. So for most people, this isn’t a big deal. But sooner or later, this is probably going to burn someone. I’ve had OEM sensors fail in under 5 years on other vehicles.

In my case, the sensor that failed was not an OEM sensor (that’s a whole other story! )

Good thing I had an extra OEM Mirage TPMS sensor that I bought on eBay last year. I just had the dealer install that one instead of the new one they offered for $100 + $50 installation + the $105 diagnostic fee

Last edited by Top_Fuel; 03-09-2018 at 04:51 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Daox (03-12-2018),Eggman (03-09-2018),Fummins (03-09-2018)

It'd probably be cheaper to just buy the etacs programmer thingy and turn off the tpms sensor option. None of the cars we have came with that. Though it's nice to know when you have a low tire before it's sitting on the rim when you go to work in the am.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Has anyone actually been able to do anything TPMS-related with that ETACS thingy?!? Where's Doax?

In other TPMS news...

I purchased yet another TPMS tool that said it would work with the 2014-2018 Mirage. And guess what...it DOESN'T WORK! However, the manufacturer seems genuinely interested in why it isn't working. So I've been working with their tech guys to figure it out. They even sent me a beta firmware version to update my tool (which still didn't work, unfortunately). Now they are offering to send me a more sophisticated scan tool so I can send them detailed error logs to figure out where it's failing. Very cool of them and great customer support!

I used the tool on my mom's Honda Odyssey minivan which had multiple TPMS issues (including stored TPMS error codes). I was able to read TMPS sensor IDs from the computer through the OBDII port, and read/clear her TPMS error codes. If necessary, I could even write new IDs into the computer as well. It was great to see a tool actually work properly right out of the box!

If we can get this functionality working for the Mirage, then we no longer have a reliance on the dealer. This tool can also clone sensors...which is really cool.

I'll keep you guys posted on the progress. I'm determined to conquer the Mirage's TPMS system.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Daox (03-12-2018),Fummins (03-09-2018),inuvik (03-09-2018),poorman1 (03-09-2018),tomrad (03-13-2018),wellswebdesign (03-09-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,786 Times in 2,105 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    I'll keep you guys posted on the progress. I'm determined to conquer the Mirage's TPMS system.
    That would be cool. I wonder if the new Eclipse Cross and any other new models from Mitsubishi will use this TPMS system, or if it will be unique to the Mirage. Wouldn't that be funny.

Behold the Mirage - there's nothing else like it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    In other TPMS news...

I purchased yet another TPMS tool that said it would work with the 2014-2018 Mirage. And guess what...it DOESN'T WORK!
    What TPMS tool did you buy? I only ask because I bought another one myself. It's in the mail...
    Last edited by Cobrajet; 03-09-2018 at 11:11 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    What TPMS tool did you buy?
    It's an Autel TS501.

I chose this one because it claims it can do the following:

1. Trigger and read data from all TPMS sensors
    2. Read and clear TPMS codes via the OBDII connector
    3. Read TPMS IDs from the PCM via the OBDII connector
    4. Write TPMS IDs to the PCM via the OBDII connector
    5. Clone TPMS sensors (using Autel brand sensors only)

I verified 1 & 2 on my Mirage. Honestly, that's all you really need. If you know your existing TPMS sensor IDs, then you can clone them when they fail and never have to read/write IDs to the computer. But after doing 1-3 above on a Honda, I know it's do-able on the Mirage...if someone can just figure out why the Mirage doesn't seem to behave like other Mitsubishi models.

So which tool did you get?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    It's an Autel TS501.

I chose this one because it claims it can do the following:

1. Trigger and read data from all TPMS sensors
    2. Read and clear TPMS codes via the OBDII connector
    3. Read TPMS IDs from the PCM via the OBDII connector
    4. Write TPMS IDs to the PCM via the OBDII connector
    5. Clone TPMS sensors (using Autel brand sensors only)

I verified 1 & 2 on my Mirage. Honestly, that's all you really need. If you know your existing TPMS sensor IDs, then you can clone them when they fail and never have to read/write IDs to the computer. But after doing 1-3 above on a Honda, I know it's do-able on the Mirage...if someone can just figure out why the Mirage doesn't seem to behave like other Mitsubishi models.

So which tool did you get?
    I bought a very lightly used Bartech 400SD off of Ebay. Apparently, this is a pro grade machine. There is some kind of Mitsu-specific adapter cable i still need to order for it.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (03-10-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    I bought a very lightly used Bartech 400SD off of Ebay.
    Cool. Let us know how it works when you get it.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (03-11-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Has anyone actually been able to do anything TPMS-related with that ETACS thingy?!? Where's Doax?
    I've been in Mexico helping out at an orphanage for the past week! But, I am back now.

Sadly, ETACs Decoder does not deal at all with TPMS sensors.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

Fummins (03-13-2018),Top_Fuel (03-12-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    I should have also mentioned that you can totally disable the TPMS system with ETACs decoder.

It also appears that you can change the pressure at which the TPMS light comes on. The default setting is 240 kpa which is about 35 psi.

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

Eggman (03-13-2018),Fummins (03-13-2018)