Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Mirage based on 2011's Global Small concept car (photos)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

New Mirage based on 2011's Global Small concept car (photos)

Mitsubishi revealed what the new, 3-cylinder production Mirage was going to look like through the "Global Small" concept car on the 2011 auto show circuit:

On Jan. 12, 2012, Mitsu Canada had this to say about the concept:

Based on the new global, small-car platform, this concept car represents a new generation of small affordable vehicles. This vehicle will be built on an all-new platform with a focus on low weight and a small footprint. The heart of the five-door, five-passenger sedan is a new 1.0-liter three-cylinder engine that features fuel-saving technologies, including a brake energy-recovery system. It is mated to a new 5-speed manual or a continuously variable transmission.
    The Japan market version of this vehicle was just unveiled at last month’s Tokyo Motor Show. Called the Mitsubishi Mirage, it aims to achieve [better] than 3.3L/100km [71.3 MPG US]. It goes on sale this March in Thailand and will be rolled out to other global markets throughout the year. The North American version will be coming to Canada in 2013.

(Source)

Main specifications*

Overall Length: 3,74 m
    Overall Width: 1,68 m
    Overall Height: 1,49 m

Powertrain: 3 cylinder MIVEC (petrol) engine
    Liter
    5 M/T
    Auto Stop and Go
    Brake energy regenerative system
    185/55 R 16 low rolling resistance tires

*indicative only vs. the final production car.
    Full Mitsubishi press information about the concept:

MITSUBISHI CONCEPT-GLOBAL SMALL
    The "e-compact"

After "Project Global" in the C/D-Segments*, Mitsubishi Motors Corporation (MMC) is now pushing the boundaries of global product planning with the forthcoming introduction of "Global Small" in the B-Segment: a next-generation architecture with built-in flexibility to accommodate - by design - customer requirements in ALL world markets in the lower sector of the market(s).

Previewed as "Concept-Global Small" at the 2011 Geneva Motor Show, this "e-compact" will be unveiled in production form towards the end of this year, prior to a start of production scheduled for early 2012 at an equally all-new plant Mitsubishi Motors Corporation is currently building in Thailand – its third factory in this strategic production hub.
    *Lancer, Outlander, ASX, Delica D:5

Global product of the "Global Village"
    This new Mitsubishi will be proposed as an entry model for emerging markets as well as a fuel efficient car in developed markets. As such, this all-new e-compact project shall be MMC's answer to some fundamental evidences:

With 80% of its total output bound for export, Mitsubishi Motors ought to take into consideration the trend towards globalization in trade and communications, no matter the market segment.

In fast developing markets such as China, ASEAN and other emerging areas (50% of all world markets by 2013), MMC shall embrace the increasing demand for personal mobility through affordable, fuel efficient and substantial yet compact vehicles.

In the mature markets of Japan, North America or Europe, downsizing and efficiency are key to meet ever stringent environmental regulations whilst fulfilling the need for multi-motorization with sensible products in a re-invented B-Segment.

In the face of volatile exchange rates & commodity prices as well as the challenge to serve all world markets with small vehicles delivering – by definition - low margins, Mitsubishi Motors shall pursue the highest level of efficiency in its production system through the concept of global production hub.

"e-" for...
    Developed in Okazaki (Japan) – MMC's global R&D Center - in less than 2 years, the forthcoming Global Small project is meant to merge all these "eco/compact" requirements into one single package designed as such instead of mere adaptation(s):

"e" for "efficiency": highly efficient in its overall packaging, Mitsubishi Motors' e-compact combines the virtues of a small vehicle (manoeuvrability,...) and excellent visibility whilst sitting 5 adults in comfort and accommodating sufficient luggage space within a retrained footprint (3,74 m length x 1,68 m width): one of the most space efficient in the B-Segment.

"e" for "engineering": the architecture this e-compact is based upon has been designed to accommodate upfront foreseeable customer and regulatory requirements in ALL world markets whether Japan, North America, emerging countries or Europe, instead of costly later adaptations: a first in the small car class.

"e" for "environment": through weight saving measures, all-new petrol 1.0 and 1.2 liter MIVEC powertrains, the application of MMC's green technology solutions (Auto Stop and Go, Brake energy regenerative system,, etc,...) and fine-tuned aerodynamics as exemplified in the sloping roof line, Mitsubishi's e-compact can boast sensible level of fuel consumption and therefore emissions well in line with market trends.

"e" for "electric vehicle": as a further environmentally friendly measure – and a direct effect of its fully integrated Global Small architecture - e-compact is engineered to accommodate a further variant, fitted with a 100% electric powertrain.

"e" for " economies": robust and reliable by design as customary for Japanese products, "Global Small" should also guarantee low running costs.
    "e" for "effective design": as a daily reliable runabout equally at ease crossing the bush, tackling megapole traffic or blasting highways (within speed limits), the Mitsubishi e-compact was styled with no-nonsense efficiency-first in mind. Robust looking yet enjoying sophisticated aerodynamics, it should grace traffic nonetheless with a friendly face.

"e" for "export": the first of its kind, "Global Small" will be built at MMC's dedicated hub of Laem Chabang Industrial Estate in the Chonburi province of Thailand. The forecasted annual volume of 150,000 units (with a possible increase to 200,000 units) will be exported to the ASEAN countries , Japan, North Asia, Australasia, Europe, North America and many other markets around the world.

Fifty years later after its first small car, the little "500" launched in 1960 just at the start of the massive export drive of Japan, Mitsubishi Motors' ambitious e-compact is about to open a new significant page in MMC's history...
    The concept took some flak in the blogs:

Attached Images Attached Images  

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

davidricardo86 (02-09-2022),Mikhail (02-03-2014)

And here's the concept compared to the production version:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

davidricardo86 (02-09-2022),kerc (05-13-2014),Mikhail (02-03-2014),Polkiuj (04-24-2013)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    And here's the concept compared to the production version:

I don't remember seeing the Mirage concept vehicle, but Mirages weren't really on my radar until the summer of 2017.

I like the looks of the concept Mirage. In my opinion, it looks better than the 2nd & now 3rd update to the Mirage.

How useful do you think those concept side mirror would have been?

They would have been quite aerodynamic for side mirrors!

I'm still pleasantly surprised the 3-cylinder/5-speed manual powertrain remains.

I don't remember seeing the concept back in 2011 either. I'm sure it got little to no coverage in North American automotive media.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    How useful do you think those concept side mirror would have been?

They would have been quite aerodynamic for side mirrors!
    Too small for regular mirrors, too big for camera mounts!

I'm still pleasantly surprised the 3-cylinder/5-speed manual powertrain remains.
    I'm not surprised - the Thai government lured Mitsubishi to produce the car in that country with tax incentives that are tied to a minimum fuel efficiency level for the vehicles produced under the program. If they put a thirstier engine in it, they lose the incentives.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    I'm not surprised - the Thai government lured Mitsubishi to produce the car in that country with tax incentives that are tied to a minimum fuel efficiency level for the vehicles produced under the program. If they put a thirstier engine in it, they lose the incentives.
    I am surprised the Mirage is still standing in North America, where several other models have come & gone.

If the 4-5 Mirage trim levels offered each year were marketed between $10,000-15,000 & Mitsubishi had a respectable dealership network, the Mirage would be experiencing the same growth as the Spark. Small car options are quite limited, but Mitsubishi isn't even on some people's radar. I had considered getting a small car for quite some time (decade or longer), & I didn't even give Mitsubishi a thought. And I am someone who had a positive experience with a Plymouth Colt wagon (entirely Mitsubishi vehicle) in the past, too.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    They didn't change the styling all that much between the prototype and production. You don't see that too often.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Found an interesting global small video:

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

davidricardo86 (02-17-2022),MetroMPG (08-20-2013),Mikhail (02-03-2014)

Good find!

(I need to install the "thanks button" forum mod.)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I really need to find a workshop that does custom body design; if I can get a Global Small concept-type bumper, it will be exactly the 'edge' my Mirage is needing. (But I'll settle for a Malaysian Sports bumper if I have to)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    In the video from Geneva 2011 the guy said that it will be sold even in US. That's interesting. And it was not officially confirmed for mostly 2 years.