Thread: Aftermarket catback exhaust and intake

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Aftermarket catback exhaust and intake

Hi all,

I've been looking for months for a performance catback and intake (looking to get a little more power and better sound out of the car), but I can't find anything anywhere (at least not available in the US).

I am guessing there are no bolt-ons available for a 2014/2015, correct?

Assuming no, does anyone have a list of parts that they used to create a custom exhaust or intake?

Thanks in advance!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 43.1 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Sadly, there aren't many options for bolt on intakes or exhaust.

To make a DIY custom intake, you can make one with the MAF sensor housing I sell. Its 3d printed plastic part, and you can purchase it via the link in my signature. Add your own piping and filter and you're set. Lots more info on the MAF housing here: Developing a MAF sensor housing for custom air intakes
    Side note: While Speedlab does sell an intake, it will not work on your US Mirage because its designed for Mirages without a MAF sensor. Overseas some Mirages only have MAP sensors where as we have both in the US.

Daox MAF housing

Here is an example picture

For exhaust stuff, you have a couple header options. They are on the pricey side, but most headers are. The Speedlab header, and the SuperCircuit header. These also present a problem because they will delete the primary CAT in the exhaust. This will probably be a big deal for you in California. I've been thinking about making a header designed for the 2014/15 Mirages that bolts right in, but I highly doubt I'll get to it anytime soon, if ever.

Speedlab header

SuperCircuit header
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hey thanks a lot for all of this info! I had no idea there were headers available for our cars. Might be worth installing and then reinstalling the cat for the smog check...

Really what I am after is a catback setup so that smog won't be an issue. Can't find one anywhere, so maybe I'll have to get one custom built.
    Last edited by x75x; 03-14-2018 at 12:36 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 43.1 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yeah, there is no catbacks available. Also, Speedlab did testing when they built their header. Their conclusion was that even with their upgrades (intake, header, and tune), that the stock exhaust is very ideally sized. Up sizing the pipe did not provide any real gains, and they went back to the stock setup. So, if you're after more power, I wouldn't start with a catback. If you're after more noise... then its a good place to start.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

18slcmirage (11-07-2020),Eggman (03-14-2018)

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Ah this is good information. So if I were to buy the SpeedLab supercharger kit I would have to change the sensors?
    Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The Speedlab supercharger kit will not work on a US Mirage, at least not out of the box because of the MAF sensor that is added to the US Mirages. Can it be worked around? Yeah, but not super easily.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

18slcmirage (11-07-2020),IchabodCrane (03-16-2018),Marklovski (03-16-2018)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    The Speedlab supercharger kit will not work on a US Mirage, at least not out of the box because of the MAF sensor that is added to the US Mirages. Can it be worked around? Yeah, but not super easily.
    Well that sucks.. Good to know though. Thanks
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Go to a performance shop and pay them to weld up headers/exhaust. It shouldn't be too expensive unless they are just looking to make a huge profit off you. Doing an exhaust on my own would cost me less than 200 bucks for all the pipe and joints, cutting and welding it myself. For headers, I would say about another 200 for pipe. You figure materials plus say 4 hours worth of work, they should charge you around 800-1000 for the job total, which is about the price for most cheap exhaust setups from ebay for other cars, yet will be custom fit to your mirage. I've made custom exhaust's in the past, I put a cherry bomb vortex muffler on an 05 sti, with 3" stainless pipe from the downpipe back, all cut and welded by me. Took me 8 hours on jack stands including the time welding every joint shut. In the end, I had a custom exhaust that only cost me 375 bucks including the cheap harbor freight welder and mask that I used to weld it all. Sure it wasn't pretty, but who is gonna be under my car to look at my ****ty welds. No one. Performance over looks. And if you feel like you would want to try, do it, nothing is stopping you but your own thoughts. I had zero skills welding before I made my exhaust, I simply watched videos of professionals on youtube, learned what looks good and what doesn't, and then did it. And, my exhaust sounded better than EVERY "pre-made" kit on the market, especially because the muffler used was unique. (cherry bomb vortex mufflers are straight through design but standard rectangle shape, and the way they are built from factory, the vortex lowers the pitch of your exhaust, so I went from a boxer rumble to a super deep boxer rumble that no one had ever heard before, and it wasn't crazy loud).