Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Noisy Little 1.2

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I guess we shouldn't worry about it as long as we're still in warranty. Currently my car only does it at low rpm and high load (lugging basically), so I can't really get out of the car and see where it's coming from. I'll be trying out a new oil (castrol magnatec 0w20) soon and I'll see if that helps at all. If not I might try out a heavier weight oil next time. There is another thread somewhere on that subject, and several people have already gone that route as well.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 42.7 mpg (US) ... 18.1 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anog View Post
    I guess we shouldn't worry about it as long as we're still in warranty. Currently my car only does it at low rpm and high load (lugging basically), so I can't really get out of the car and see where it's coming from. I'll be trying out a new oil (castrol magnatec 0w20) soon and I'll see if that helps at all. If not I might try out a heavier weight oil next time. There is another thread somewhere on that subject, and several people have already gone that route as well.
    I'm currently running 5w20 but have used 5w30 almost exclusively in the past. I will say that valve train noise is greatly reduced with 5w30. I'll be switching back next oil change.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    +1 on the accessory belt. Do a visual inspection for signs of damage.

I'm under the impression that the 3A92 engine doesn't fare well below 40℉ (4.4℃) and it's pistons rattle around in the cylinders, which would lead to scoring the cylinder walls.

A second or two of valve tapping seems normal. I notice rattling when accelerating gently until the engine warms up, usually when the green temperature dashboard indicator light goes out.
    The piston slap issue was "resolved" early on with (I was told after my engine was replaced for this issue) metallurgy changes to pistons and remapped cold start fuel programming. The early North American models were not ready for our levels of cold.
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to IchabodCrane For This Useful Post:

Eggman (03-24-2018)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dabullfrog91 View Post
    Hey fellow Mirage owners!

I have a few questions/observations here.

1. Right after it has rained heavily and I start the Mirage it sounds like its churning and crunching itself apart. I think its only the serpentine belt that has gotten wet and is making all kind of commotion but I am not for sure. After about 30 seconds to 1 minute it clears up and sounds normal. What is this and should I be worried? Again it only happens if its been very damp or wet outside.
    Cheers! -Dabullfrog91
    Yes. The belt squeals on startup after driving in the rain, starting cold on a foggy morning etc. Totally normal on Mirages. I blame the Mitsu belt but since it still functions normally I'm too cheap to replace it with aftermarket until it's worn out. I use spray on belt dressing from the auto parts store. Follow the directions on the can and it will be less bothersome.
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dabullfrog91 View Post
    Hey fellow Mirage owners!

I have a few questions/observations here.

2. I have noticed a lot of valve noise when I'm running my little Koopa Kart. I have heard this kind of "ticking" on other foreign cars like my mother's Kia but I want to make sure this is normal. Oil levels are good and its running strong as ever (no performance drop). So, is this by nature just a noisy little chipmunk or is there something deeper going on here?
    Cheers! -Dabullfrog91
    There will be some ticking on startup when cold.. as stated previously, some of it is likely injector noise. This is normal. Always drive the car gently untill the little green leaf goes away then you can run it like you stole it.
    I start mine and I'm moving down the road in less than 60 seconds in any and all weather/temps but I only run below 2000rpm until the green leaf is gone or the engine/valves put up a rattly fuss.
    There is a noise the engine makes when you lug it that sounds like valves but it's not. It's just the sound of determination from an engine trying to impress you with all 70+ horses.
    FYI The dealer did find a couple valves out of adjustment on my '14 Mirage when installing the head on the new short block (@ 26,000 km). But if your dealer is not concerned you don't need to be. Let warranty worry about it.
    Will weld for beer.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to IchabodCrane For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (04-05-2018)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Sorry for the spate of posts here today. I'm having a lazy Sat. morning and apparently feeling chatty.

As to why America hates Mitsubishis..
    Does anyone think it has anything to do with history?
    Like I dunno.. Mitsubishi Zeros doing nasty things to the US in wartime and the logo on our cars looking like and seemingly representing the 3 bladed prop on said Zeros?
    I'm not saying there are still hatreds held but I'm wondering if those who "review" Mitsubishis are afraid of losing stature, ( ie income ) for speaking too favourably on their behalf.
    (Like when the Dixie Chicks spoke out against Bush and everyone lost their minds.)
    Is fear of pissing some people off filling reviews with more status quo opinion than substance, fact and truth?
    Last edited by IchabodCrane; 03-24-2018 at 05:09 PM. Reason: Punctuation, end spellin
    Will weld for beer.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Good point. I know someone personally who dislikes Mitsubishi because of the Zero. I think he's irrational but there you have it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    I don't think I'm alone in wanting to support peaceful, cooperative commerce rather than fighting and wartime production.

On the other hand I understand Mitsubishi is producing a fighter jet.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Good point. I know someone personally who dislikes Mitsubishi because of the Zero. I think he's irrational but there you have it.
    Patriot and veteran here, and I kind of like the Mirage BECAUSE of the Zero. Certainly not for anything the Zero DID during WW2, but because I think the Mirage shares more than a few design elements with the old Zero fighters: Lightweight, nimble, can turn on a dime, fuel-sipping extended range per tank of gas, simplified reliable design. I think enough time has passed that one can admire the design of an aircraft without it implying you agree with anything it was used for. But to each there own...

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    And I've read that the Zero was developed from a prototype that Howard Hughes designed.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES Plus 1.2 automatic: 37.9 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)