Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Noisy Little 1.2

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IchabodCrane View Post
    Sorry for the spate of posts here today. I'm having a lazy Sat. morning and apparently feeling chatty.

As to why America hates Mitsubishis..
    Does anyone think it has anything to do with history?
    Like I dunno.. Mitsubishi Zeros doing nasty things to the US in wartime and the logo on our cars looking like and seemingly representing the 3 bladed prop on said Zeros?
    I'm not saying there are still hatreds held but I'm wondering if those who "review" Mitsubishis are afraid of losing stature, ( ie income ) for speaking too favourably on their behalf.
    (Like when the Dixie Chicks spoke out against Bush and everyone lost their minds.)
    Is fear of pissing some people off filling reviews with more status quo opinion than substance, fact and truth?
    The hatred isn't because of the Zero. It's because Mitsubishi Heavy Industries treated captured American servicemen as slaves. They forced them to mine coal for 16 hours a day under brutal dangerous conditions. Many serviceman died.

Mitsubishi, AFAIK, has never formally apologized for their mistreatment of the Allied POWS. Nor made financial reparations.

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    There's a reason people call these types of cars little weedwhackers; mine's been noisier than heck from day one, though I find idles are silent, and the car CAN run quietly. Not up hills, etc. At least with the 5 speed. On the other thread about the history of mitsu, they are in fact nowadays building a regional jet, and also the x-2 shinshin fighter jet with stealth apparently -- is a prototype you can see it fly on youtube. small and nimble

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    The hatred isn't because of the Zero. It's because Mitsubishi Heavy Industries treated captured American servicemen as slaves. They forced them to mine coal for 16 hours a day under brutal dangerous conditions. Many serviceman died.

Mitsubishi, AFAIK, has never formally apologized for their mistreatment of the Allied POWS. Nor made financial reparations.
    I did not know about that. If those facts are widely known it may be a factor. Oddly though, we love Hitler's car. Go figure.
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    So, I thought I would post another update. I have finally found the source of the clickety-clacky noise when I'm running the car cold. It turns out its not the valves, the injectors, or the air-box. Its actually the CVT transmission. I am not used to a tranny like the one the Koopa Kart has but I am 90% positive that is where all the noise is coming from. As soon as the tranny heats up the noise usually goes away. I have not had any transmission problems and its shifting fine/strong so I am assuming I have nothing to worry about.
    2017 Mirage ES CVT "Koopa Kart"

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    I'm currently running 5w20 but have used 5w30 almost exclusively in the past. I will say that valve train noise is greatly reduced with 5w30. I'll be switching back next oil change.
    Is it safe using the 5w20 or 5w/30 in the mirage? It calls for 0w20 if I am not mistaken. I think it designed to run on light weight oil so that it can quickly lubricate the overhead cam, etc. I can see how this would cause much more engine noise, but I don't want to chance damaging the motor by using non manufacturer recommended oil. What do you think?
    2017 Mirage ES CVT "Koopa Kart"

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dabullfrog91 View Post
    So, I thought I would post another update. I have finally found the source of the clickety-clacky noise when I'm running the car cold. It turns out its not the valves, the injectors, or the air-box. Its actually the CVT transmission. I am not used to a tranny like the one the Koopa Kart has but I am 90% positive that is where all the noise is coming from. As soon as the tranny heats up the noise usually goes away. I have not had any transmission problems and its shifting fine/strong so I am assuming I have nothing to worry about.

This is interesting. Maybe you could run this past Fummins here on the forum. He has had 2 cvt fail in the fleet he works on. Maybe he might have an idea where thr noise is coming from?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Its actually the CVT transmission. \
    I actually came to a similar conclusion, but my car is a manual. However the noise is still there for me at low RPM even with everything warmed up (ie, cruising around in 2nd gear looking for a parking spot). I'll be changing oil brands (still 0W-20 though) next week and I'll see if this has any effect.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 42.7 mpg (US) ... 18.1 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Is it safe using the 5w20 or 5w/30 in the mirage? It calls for 0w20 if I am not mistaken. I think it designed to run on light weight oil so that it can quickly lubricate the overhead cam, etc. I can see how this would cause much more engine noise, but I don't want to chance damaging the motor by using non manufacturer recommended oil. What do you think?
    5-20 and 30 are the recommended in other markets besides US and Canada. It's emission and fuel economy related more than mechanical limitations. I use 5-20 or 30 depending on sale and not a single issue has arised.
    (blank signature)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Alex1a1f For This Useful Post:

inuvik (04-05-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    I use 5w-20 during the short "winter" here and 5w-30 the rest of the year. No issues either with the benefit of much less valve-train noise with 5w-30

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Alex1a1f (04-05-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Mine was also getting kind of noisy/clicky. Changed the oil and filter, (Castrol 5w20 magnawhatever & a PureOne filter) nice and quiet again.

Last edited by Car Nut; 04-08-2018 at 01:49 AM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Car Nut For This Useful Post:

inuvik (04-06-2018)