Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Test drove a 2014 Mirage DE manual transmission today - ordered one (U.S.)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    congrads and welcome

Any news? Did you get your car, fifteenwindow?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hey there. Yes, we picked it up last night. According to the avg mpg indicator, we got 48.9 mpg on the way home, into a 10mph, gusting to 20mph head/crosswind for 90 miles. This morning to work (11.5 miles) was 47mpg, and back home was 52mpg. This is all unverified, going off the trip mpg readout in the car. So far things have gone smoothly. I have no complaints about the car. The front seat is getting more comfortable the longer I sit in it, and as I tweak the positioning to get it right, just like any other car. I plan to remove the rear seat headrests as they block some of the rear window through the rearview mirror. I wish it had a shift indicator light like the vx and saturn, but I'm hoping the scanguage will help me figure out the shift points.

Tomorrow I will be heading off for the weekend on a 400 mile trip. I'll be installing a scanguage and filling up before I leave, but likely won't fill up until after I return. I am also holding off on making any modifications until I get a base line of what mileage is like. I doubt I will wait much longer than 1 tank to get started, though. Thanks for asking.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 53.1 mpg (US) ... 22.6 km/L ... 4.4 L/100 km ... 63.8 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fifteenwindow For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (10-17-2013),Mikhail (10-18-2013)

Thanks for the update, and glad you're enjoying the car.

Looking forward to further reports!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Australia
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Great feedback so far thanks.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Congrats on the new car! You should start a garage entry and fuel log for it.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thats pretty good mpg

Quote Originally Posted by fifteenwindow View Post
    Tomorrow I will be heading off for the weekend on a 400 mile trip. I'll be installing a scanguage and filling up before I leave, but likely won't fill up until after I return.
    Any news? (Yes, I'm that impatient!)

Hope you had a good & fuel efficient weekend trip.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I installed the scanguage and filled the tank before I left. I drove 385 miles round trip, and filled the tank when I got back. The scanguage was off by .2 gallons in its estimate of fuel used. I got 48.5 miles to the gallon (at the pump), averaging almost 60 mph. The weather was in the 60s, and the crosswind was blowing 10-20mph on my return 180 mile trip. The MID on my trip out had my mpgs at 52, so I suspect the wind really affects this car's FE. That or the MID's MPG is inaccurate. I haven't figured out how to keep the MID mpgs for a whole tank yet, but I haven't really looked into it.

The steering feels better the more I drive, so that stiffness is either softening up or I am getting used to it. I don't notice it at all anymore. The seat is quite comfortable, no hard spots or strange cushioning for my body. The car also has plenty of power for me. The radio does not get very loud, but its plenty. The engine noise is quieter than I expected after reading all those reviews, but I enjoy listening to the hum of a motor anyway. Often times I don't turn on the radio.

Since my return, I inflated the tires from 32 to 40psi. I added a seal between the hood and the front apron/headlights, and I sealed the upper front vent. My intake air temperature vs. ambient temperature has increased. Over the weekend it was the same as the outside temp. Now intake temps get 20-30 degrees warmer than the outside air (so far on my 11 mile commute). I plan to seal up more of the grille, but little bits at a time watching coolant temps as I go. I'll report back with my next tankful, and anything else that might happen. Thanks for calling me out, Metro.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 53.1 mpg (US) ... 22.6 km/L ... 4.4 L/100 km ... 63.8 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fifteenwindow For This Useful Post:

Daox (10-23-2013),MetroMPG (10-23-2013)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    sounds pretty good there, yeah I'de say 40 psi would be a minimum. It'd be nice to know your 11 mile commute mpgs.