Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nissan boss visits Thai factory where Mirage built; outlines alliance goals (May '17)

Nissan boss visits Thai factory where Mirage built; outlines alliance goals (May '17)

In case you're interested in some of the details about the Nissan / Renault / Mitsu alliance...

Notable:

• Thailand (where the Mirage is built) is home to Mitsu's largest manufacturing centre
    • The MMTH factory capacity: "424,000 vehicles, more than 80 per cent of which are exported. This means the plant produces roughly one out of every three Mitsubishi cars."
    • MMTh is currently only operating at only 84 per cent of capacity
    • Mitsu sells 1/5 as many cars as Nissan globally, yet in the ASEAN market (Asia and Oceania excluding Japan and China) they are evenly matched (Mirage is a huge part of its ASEAN success)

One could argue that Mitsubishi has Southeast Asia to thank for its survival.
    The article also mentions the possibility of sharing a platform between the Micra and Mirage, and possibly selling Mitsubishi-badged Renaults in southeast Asia, where Renault has no presense.

Full article: Carlos Ghosn goes for glory with tie-up in Southeast Asia - Renault-Nissan alliance with Mitsubishi Motors aims for strong push into region

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Wouldn't it be nice if the alliance brought Renault's to Canada - Nissan's are a dime a dozen, but Renault would at least stick out like the Mirage does. I believe Renault was sold in Canada at one time.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    There are plenty of Renaults in Europe, but never in my life would I have considered buying a Renault!
    A visit to a junk yard tells you a lot about Renault.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,786 Times in 2,105 Posts
    The Financial Times article is requiring a subscription to view. I found a version here:

Nikkei Asian Review: Carlos Ghosn goes for glory with tie-up in Southeast Asia

From May 11, 2017 - it appears to be old news, so maybe it's not the same article.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Wouldn't it be nice if the alliance brought Renault's to Canada - Nissan's are a dime a dozen, but Renault would at least stick out like the Mirage does. I believe Renault was sold in Canada at one time.
    Renaults were sold in the US back in the 1970s after that company bought AMC, and were sold alongside AMC Eagles and Concords. They were essentially run out of the country on a rail by the mid 1980s.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

poorman1 (03-17-2018)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I wonder if the Renault R5 Turbo model made it to North America via AMC, under the Le Car badge. (Like the Mirage with the Dodge Colt).
    Last edited by dspace9; 03-17-2018 at 12:00 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    IMHO I expect we're about to witness the end of the Mirage as we know it.
    In future it will likely be a rebadged Micra offering less options for more money and fuel economy that matches the status quo.
    As shareholder/corporate greed grows exponentially any sense of style or uniqueness fades in favour of profit margins. Soon enough we will all be driving vehicles indistinguishable from one another aside from badging.
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,786 Times in 2,105 Posts
    And we won't be able to drive - it'll be automated.

Egad!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I have heard the new Datsun subcompact, that is sold everywhere but North America I believe, is somehow connected to the new Mitsu and others alliance. Seems like car companies have their feet in different waters at the same time these days. Like an Infiniti might be part Mitsu and vice versa in the future
    Last edited by dspace9; 03-17-2018 at 07:45 PM.

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    There are plenty of Renaults in Europe, but never in my life would I have considered buying a Renault!
    A visit to a junk yard tells you a lot about Renault.
    What exactly do you see on a junk yard which makes you think Renaults are bad? I mean, as every car ends on a junk yard, the bare presence of a lot of Renaults only tells that it's a popular car.
    A lot of relatively young samples could tell that they die young, but it could also mean that they are mainly driven by people who make much kilometers, wearing out the car fast.
    I can imagine that a lot of rusty, young cars can tell that a Renault corrodes easily. If you were in the mood you could maybe check the kilometrage of every Renault you see, to get a feeling of their robustness. To be fair, you should have to check all other cars also, to have a reliable reference.

So what exactly did the junk yard tell?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Space Star Cleartec Intense 1.0 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)