Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tire replacement and tpms

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

tire replacement and tpms

First vehicle I've owned with tpms's. Has anyone had a problem with tire shops breaking them when replacing tires? Or, is that close to impossible to do? Looking at where they are located, I don't see a problem but I was a little concerned after reading that tpms were not covered under warranty if tires were changed. Thanks.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Warranty won't cover any part that you or your mechanic breaks or installs incorrectly.
    Even if it is broken at the Dealership if they break it Mitsubishi won't pay.
    Tell the tire person that you have TPS and if they wreck it make them pay to repair it
    Last edited by poorman1; 03-17-2018 at 06:32 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    They are covered under warranty in the USA under the Magnuson Moss Act. They can not deny warranty Just because you have new tires or rims.
    https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/article...ne-maintenance
    If the Warranty required you to buy tires and have them installed at the dealership to uphold the Warranty, They must provide them at no charge.

If you own a car, you know how important it is to keep up with routine maintenance and repairs. But can a dealer refuse to honor the warranty that came with your new car if someone else does the routine maintenance or repairs?

"The Federal Trade Commission (FTC), the nation's consumer protection agency, says no. In fact, it's illegal for a dealer to deny your warranty coverage simply because you had routine maintenance or repairs performed by someone else. Routine maintenance often includes oil changes, tire rotations, belt replacement, fluid checks and flushes, new brake pads, and inspections. Maintenance schedules vary by vehicle make, model and year; the best source of information about routine scheduled maintenance is your owner's manual."
    Last edited by poorman1; 03-17-2018 at 06:35 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to poorman1 For This Useful Post:

tomrad (03-17-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts

Great point!

Quote Originally Posted by poorman1 View Post
    Warranty won't cover any part that you or your mechanic breaks or installs incorrectly.
    Even if it is broken at the Dealership.
    Tell the tire person that you have TPS and if they wreck it make them pay to repair it
    That's a great point! Tell your mechanic/tire guy that your TPMS are all working. Ask them what happens if they damage one? If they want your business, it seems like they would tell you what you want to hear.

I don't think it's a big risk to have tires replace on rims with TPMS, but I would ask the guys doing the job. Ask them what happens it they do break one? That way you'll know up front.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    "If you own a car, you know how important it is to keep up with routine maintenance and repairs. But can a dealer refuse to honor the warranty that came with your new car if someone else does the routine maintenance or repairs?

The Federal Trade Commission (FTC), the nation's consumer protection agency, says no. In fact, it's illegal for a dealer to deny your warranty coverage simply because you had routine maintenance or repairs performed by someone else. Routine maintenance often includes oil changes, tire rotations, belt replacement, fluid checks and flushes, new brake pads, and inspections. Maintenance schedules vary by vehicle make, model and year; the best source of information about routine scheduled maintenance is your owner's manual.

What is a warranty?
    Do I have to use the dealer for repairs and maintenance to keep my warranty in effect?
    Will using 'aftermarket' or recycled parts void my warranty?
    Tips To Avoid Warranty Issues

What is a warranty?

A warranty is a promise, often made by a manufacturer, to stand behind its product or to fix certain defects or malfunctions over a period of time. The warranty pays for any covered repairs or part replacements during the warranty period.
    Do I have to use the dealer for repairs and maintenance to keep my warranty in effect?

No. An independent mechanic, a retail chain shop, or even you yourself can do routine maintenance and repairs on your vehicle. In fact, the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, which is enforced by the FTC, makes it illegal for manufacturers or dealers to claim that your warranty is void or to deny coverage under your warranty simply because someone other than the dealer did the work. The manufacturer or dealer can, however, require consumers to use select repair facilities if the repair services are provided to consumers free of charge under the warranty.

That said, there may be certain situations where a repair may not be covered. For example, if you or your mechanic replaced a belt improperly and your engine is damaged as a result, your manufacturer or dealer may deny responsibility for fixing the engine under the warranty. However, according to the FTC, the manufacturer or dealer must be able to demonstrate that it was the improper belt replacement — rather than some other defect — that caused the damage to your engine. The warranty would still be in effect for other parts of your car."

7. The Following User Says Thank You to poorman1 For This Useful Post:

tomrad (03-17-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    If they break your TPMS, over tighten and break your wheel studs, Or lean the tire against your car and scratch it they are responsible for repairing it

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    It's possible to break a TPMS sensor when the tires are dismounted...but it's unlikely to be a problem and I wouldn't worry about it (even though it happened to me...lol ).

The Mirage uses clip-on style sensors...as opposed to clamp-on. Here's a video demonstrating how Mirage TPMS sensors are mounted on a wheel...

A little bit of plastic is all that's holding the sensor onto the valve stem inside the wheel. So if an inexperienced guy is working the tire machine that day and he isn't paying attention, he can snap one off. But I wouldn't worry about it.

Like others have suggested...just remind the shop that is doing the work that your wheels have TPMS sensors in them.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

tomrad (03-17-2018)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Thanks, will let them know for sure.
    I plan to take only the wheels to them, by the way. I no longer let any shop remove or reinstall wheels for me. Well, maybe one (where I know the owner). Reason is, I have had lug nuts overtightened several times, and one time even sheared a nut off. It took close to 300 ft lbs to remove, and it left part of the nut inside the wheel. Wheel stud had to be drilled off.
    So, my concern is justified, LOL!
    Oh, and Top Fuel, I was in fact thinking of yours that you mentioned was broken. Got me to wondering how much effort it takes someone to break one.
    Too bad they don't have 'do it yourself' tire machines. For individuals qualified to use them, of course.
    Thanks to all for the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by tomrad View Post
    Thanks, will let them know for sure.
    I plan to take only the wheels to them, by the way. I no longer let any shop remove or reinstall wheels for me. Well, maybe one (where I know the owner). Reason is, I have had lug nuts overtightened several times, and one time even sheared a nut off. It took close to 300 ft lbs to remove, and it left part of the nut inside the wheel. Wheel stud had to be drilled off.
    So, my concern is justified, LOL!
    Oh, and Top Fuel, I was in fact thinking of yours that you mentioned was broken. Got me to wondering how much effort it takes someone to break one.
    Too bad they don't have 'do it yourself' tire machines. For individuals qualified to use them, of course.
    Thanks to all for the advice.
    As mentioned make sure you mention you have tpms and that they work right now and no lights are lit up on the dash....It is easy to break one if you aren't careful or don't realize it has a sensor in the first place. Trust me.
    They do have do it yourself tire machines. They'd probably work great for the tiny Mirage wheels with stock tires, might be a little tougher with the wider rims but still doable I'm sure.

And are you looking for one of these?Attachment 11533 https://www.harborfreight.com/manual...ger-69686.html A buddy has one similar to that one, he used it on his pick up tires. Bolt it to a pallet and you're good to go. Reinforce the bead breaker if needed as it seems to be a weak link.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

tomrad (03-20-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Already used one of those...

http://mirageforum.com/forum/showthr...ave-experience

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Fummins (03-19-2018),tomrad (03-20-2018)