Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: tire replacement and tpms

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Coincidentally...........I was on my way to buy the exact tire changer when you guys replied! I also bought the balancer. I figured as small as those tires are, it'll work fine. Good enough, anyway.
    Thanks again!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Its very easy to break sensors if the general service person, who is usually a moron, breaks them. I've seen kids all the time breaking them at my shop when I was working and I used to ***** at them for not paying attention. They would either break them using the bead breaker but putting the arm right at the spot of the tpms, or when they take the tire off they get the tpms sensor caught between the tire and duck bill. they break really easy when a novice ****s ups. and yes, they are responsible if they break it. irregardless of a warranty if they break something that was working, they are obligated to fix it for free. we used to have to give free sensors all the time. of course my shifty ass manager (who was demoted then had to quit because of the pay cut) used to try to trick customers into paying for it saying it was already broken prior to one of our young dumb GS's touching it. sometimes they would buy it, other times they would explain the tpms light wasn't on when it came so it clearly wasn't broken. either way, they need to fix it free if they broke it.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to namco For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (03-21-2018),poorman1 (03-21-2018),Top_Fuel (03-21-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by namco View Post
    Its very easy to break sensors if the general service person, who is usually a moron, breaks them. I've seen kids all the time breaking them at my shop when I was working and I used to ***** at them for not paying attention. They would either break them using the bead breaker but putting the arm right at the spot of the tpms, or when they take the tire off they get the tpms sensor caught between the tire and duck bill. they break really easy when a novice ****s ups. and yes, they are responsible if they break it. irregardless of a warranty if they break something that was working, they are obligated to fix it for free. we used to have to give free sensors all the time. of course my shifty ass manager (who was demoted then had to quit because of the pay cut) used to try to trick customers into paying for it saying it was already broken prior to one of our young dumb GS's touching it. sometimes they would buy it, other times they would explain the tpms light wasn't on when it came so it clearly wasn't broken. either way, they need to fix it free if they broke it.
    I WATCH tire guys do my tires. And I always politely say, "This car has TPMS sensors." They usually look at me like I am an idiot for wondering if they might be idiots!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Its very easy to break sensors if the general service person, who is usually a moron, breaks them.
    Lol...I wasn't going to say that...but I was thinking it.

...they are responsible if they break it....we used to have to give free sensors all the time.
    That's what happened to me. They (Discount Tire) broke one of my sensors and replaced it without charging me. That's fine...but they didn't tell me that they had replaced one of them. When I put the wheels/tires back on my car, my TPMS light started flashing. This was before I understood the Mirage's funky TPMS setup. A $100 trip to the dealer and the TPMS light was out.

If you have your tires replaced OR you have your existing TPMS sensors installed in a new set of wheels, there's no reason your TPMS light should come on. If it does, it almost certainly means they replaced one of your sensors. I know my 4 TPMS sensor IDs now and I will verify the same sensors are in place the next time I get new tires.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    you can buy your own tpms tool for 200-400 bucks depending on brand and if youre lucky enough to get it on sale, and they usually work with all cars so you can help a friend out or if you buy another car, still have the ability to do it yourself. my old shop used a 400 dollar bartech and they would lie to the customers saying it was a 1200 unit when its like 399.99.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    you can buy your own tpms tool...and they usually work with all cars...
    Me and Cobrajet are still working on this. We both have good TPMS tools. Mine can read TPMS sensor IDs directly from a car's computer via the OBDII connector...and it can even clone sensors.

Unfortunately, there's one thing my tool CAN'T do...and that's read sensor ID's from the Mirage's computer. I've had 2 tire shops with quality tools swear that they could do this on a Mirage. But when they tried, their tools also failed. There's something unique about the Mirage. We just need to figure out what it is. I'm still working with the manufacturer of my tool to find a solution. They were surprised to learn that their own tool won't work on a Mirage.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

tomrad (03-21-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    depending on the tool, itay require a special cable to go between the normal obd2 connector and obd2 port. i know one of the kits my old shop had, had a special ob2 ribbon cable that goes between the car and tool, and it had various chips you plug into the special cable like a cartridge for select vehicals, like older mitsubishis.