Thread: Thicker Oil - Mobil 1 0W40 European???

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Thicker Oil - Mobil 1 0W40 European???

I saw discussion here a while back about possibly running Mobil 1 0W40 European. I was curious if anyone here had done this and gotten an oil analysis? If so, were wear numbers significantly lower? Also, what is the mileage penalty?

I have been considering changing to this and know it won't harm the engine but figure there is no point if it provides no additional protection (improved wear metal counts) as there will be a mileage penalty.

Conor

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Looking at the used oil analysis of 0W20 in this forum, i would not worry, just make sure it complies with at least ILSAC 4 or the newer and better ILSAC 5 requirement. Also keep the level near the max mark for not reduceing the life of the timing chain.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I kinda figured that. My car doesn't use any oil between changes after break in where it did use some. My oil of choice has been the Mobil 1 0W20 EP in the gold bottle. I have been using their filters as well since they come with a $17 rebate. This stuff is cheaper than the store brand if you buy it at Wal-Mart with the rebate. The same also applies to the 0W40. This is like one of three things that gives me a reason to set foot in Wal-Mart.

Conor