Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I did fly 900 hundred miles and I would fly 900 more

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

I did fly 900 hundred miles and I would fly 900 more

Hi All,

Been meaning to do this for some time. Had trouble starting my car in the bitter cold this morning (Maine) so I thought now was an appropriate time (hoping to get more info on that, feel free to link to relevant threads if it means I don't have to create a new one). I wanted a brand new manual 2017 Mirage a few months ago but there were absolutely none left in New England. I called around and ended up getting one for $10,500 out the door in Ohio. I had to fly out and drive it back, sight unseen, but it was still worth it. This deal blew every other offer out of the water. I test drove a used 2017 CVT model in Maine and wasn't a big fan of the CVT but found the car itself just fine. Took a gamble on the manual and it paid off, I love this car. 53 MPG always surprises people. Even me.

Happy to join the family. Just bought some seat covers, mats, etc. on Amazon yesterday. Very pumped for them to come in and protect my little vehicle from any messy side effects of my job.

Cheers!

P.S. yes, looking for info on why it was so hard to start the car this morning (bitter cold?). I'd turn the key and the engine didn't even bother to start. Held the key in position for a while and it eventually decided to start trying to trigger the engine. Was afraid for a little!

Welcome!

Congrats on the deal and the journey.

Need more clarification about your non-start problem: when you turned the key, did (A) the starter crank but the engine did not fire up? Or, (B) did the starter not crank at all?

If (B) I'd wonder if you had the clutch down enough to activate the clutch switch.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Great story! I drove 300 miles in a rental car one-way to buy my Mirage new...then I drove it 300 miles back home. But you have me beat at 900 miles!

Just curious what dealer in Ohio has the good deals?!?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Welcome!

Congrats on the deal and the journey.

Need more clarification about your non-start problem: when you turned the key, did (A) the starter crank but the engine did not fire up? Or, (B) did the starter not crank at all?

If (B) I'd wonder if you had the clutch down enough to activate the clutch switch.
    (B), starter did not crank at all. I tried it again after I successfully started the car and drove it a few blocks, this time consciously pressing the clutch in all the way. Still had a delay, holding the key in the starting position, before the car caught up with what I was doing. I came back about 2 hours later, by now the car had been out in the sun and it had warmed up a little, had no issue starting.

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Great story! I drove 300 miles in a rental car one-way to buy my Mirage new...then I drove it 300 miles back home. But you have me beat at 900 miles!

Just curious what dealer in Ohio has the good deals?!?
    Columbus Mitsubishi North, they really hooked me up. It wasn't the easiest thing for them to coordinate the sale ahead of time with my lender (credit union) in another state, but they were very accommodating and did what they could to make it as hassle-free for me as possible. $10,500 out the door way, way beat the offer I shook on with my local dealer before realizing the car in question has a sale pending already. That was $10,700 after trade-in without fees, $1,500 for my 2004 Prius. Instead, I flew out to Ohio for a couple hundred bucks with my girlfriend, took turns driving back nonstop, and sold my Prius on CL for $3,200 cash. So, so happy with how I made out.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Repth For This Useful Post:

01-7700 (03-20-2018),Top_Fuel (03-19-2018),wellswebdesign (03-19-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Welcome to the site! Glad to hear you're enjoying your new Mirage. I'm sure you'll get the starting issue fixed up.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Welcome aboard! Car's under warranty, let Mitsubishi figure it out!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Columbus Mitsubishi North is where I got mine, they were great. I work about 3 miles away from there, and my wife, about 1/2 a mile. It used to be the Saturn dealership where my Saturn went for warranty work back in 2001.

If you have a place to plug it in, the block heater on the Mirage is awesome. http://mirageforum.com/forum/showthr...r-Installation Super easy install. I love it being 20 degrees out, and my coolant registers at 60-70 on the ScanGauge 2 as soon as I turn the car on. Almost as good as parking in a garage (my wife gets that).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.1 mpg (US) ... 18.7 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 52.9 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to wellswebdesign For This Useful Post:

Repth (03-19-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wellswebdesign View Post
    Columbus Mitsubishi North is where I got mine, they were great. I work about 3 miles away from there, and my wife, about 1/2 a mile. It used to be the Saturn dealership where my Saturn went for warranty work back in 2001.

If you have a place to plug it in, the block heater on the Mirage is awesome. http://mirageforum.com/forum/showthr...r-Installation Super easy install. I love it being 20 degrees out, and my coolant registers at 60-70 on the ScanGauge 2 as soon as I turn the car on. Almost as good as parking in a garage (my wife gets that).
    Oh, that might be worth doing if it doesn't interfere with my warranty. Thanks for the suggestion!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts

If the problem returns, please keep us posted.

I purchased my 2017 Mirage ES (manual) last October, & I've used it almost every day this past winter in Wisconsin. I feel the car actually starts up quite easily at any temperature (some days were minus 10 to 20 below). A small engine with lightweight oil isn't that hard to turn over.

Having said, I had a moment of panic one morning. I went the start the car & nothing. The night before I had installed a new rubber floor mat to sort of catch the melting snow & protect the floor better. I was sort of careless about how I did it, and I hadn't depress the clutch enough. As soon as the lightbulb went on, I straightened out the mat, pushed in the clutch, & the problem was solved. Your problem may be different, but I hope not.

Thanks for sharing your story! If the deal is right, buying a one-way ticket to purchase a car is definitely worth it. It was nice that you didn't have to give away your Prius on trade, too!

I hope your continue to enjoy your new Mirage!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Repth View Post
    Oh, that might be worth doing if it doesn't interfere with my warranty. Thanks for the suggestion!
    Hey! Another Mainah

The block heater won't affect the warranty. It clips onto the engine block, no tools needed. I put one on my Mirage and use it when it dips below 0 - really helps.

Congrats on the new manual - I have one too and loving it.

Skills: Cage fighting, computer chatting, making sweet moula

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 1.2 manual: 38.0 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to 01-7700 For This Useful Post:

Repth (03-20-2018)