Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Towing impressions

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Z View Post
    I know there's a lot of nay sayers out there but I just posted this to give my own experience with it. I've weighed the options and pros and cons and I decided to tow with my car instead of trading it in for more payments on something bigger that I can't afford. I didn't really have many options so it came down to this.
    I get it. It's fun to do things above & beyond the initial design intent, and save some money too.

And while you may understand and accept the risks and liabilities inherent with that use, when done on public roads it becomes a problem that involves others without their knowledge or consent.

I think you get the idea Joe Z that in today's litigious culture it's very easy to be sued for everything you have. Sure you can do it - but is it worth the risk?

So much of this has been covered in that other thread. At least you read it over and have heard everyone's concerns.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Oh, and Joe Z...

Garage empty: add car

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I get what you're saying but I've definitely seen and done worse. Honestly though just because it's not rated which could be for liability reasons doesn't mean it isn't capable and if it is rated doesn't mean it should be. My old jeep wrangler was rated for 5000lbs and that was harder to control than my mirage with similar weight.

I don't see a problem with putting a hitch on a car. If the dealer asks, say you put a bike rack on it. I don't see it having a big if any impact on crumple zone, as the car is still gonna crumple in an accident. If you get hit in the rear hard enough to damage it the car is usually a write off anyways.
    I personally wouldn't try towing that much with a Mirage. But I'm not your mom. Do what you think is safe.
    And what wrangler has a 5000lb towing capacity or were you meaning gvw? This is one of the dumbest things I've seen;Attachment 11571 still funny though.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm fairly certain it was 5000 towing but it's been a few years so I'm not certain.

This is one of the worst I've personally done. Just over 100 miles. Name:  IMG_4047.jpg
Views: 489
Size:  89.8 KB can't really tell but it over hangs by about 5 foot.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Z View Post
    I'm fairly certain it was 5000 towing but it's been a few years so I'm not certain.

This is one of the worst I've personally done. Just over 100 miles. Name:  IMG_4047.jpg
Views: 489
Size:  89.8 KB can't really tell but it over hangs by about 5 foot.
    I'm glad I don't live near you. That's just not thinking things through. What if that came off the back and killed someone driving behind you? I'm starting to see a pattern here.....

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    You can say what you want but I was well within the weight limit and around here anything overhanging by more than 2 feet requires a flag. This was completely legal in my area.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    The issue is.. When doing illegal, unintelligent things like towing with a vehicle not designed for towing or overloading one that is, you put all others who share the road with you at greater risk of being involved in an accident you cause. No one gives a damn about your crumple zones when your steering goes light over a hump in the road and you plow head on into a mini van full of people minding their own business.
    I'm all for your right to save a buck but putting this much thought and effort into illegal/unsafe acts, putting your intent in writing and posting it on a public forum..?!
    I don't see a lot of "helpful" info here.
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

How about this one? Attachment 11581
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Lol looks more secure than that cab hanging out over the back of that clapped out old chevy.