Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Towing impressions

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    For the record the cab was well secured chained and strapped to the frame.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    We've all seen and done some sketchy things that "get the job done" but in my old(er) age I guess I see it as more of a last resort rather than a lifestyle now.
    If you have to do more than you should with what you've got just be mindful of everyone's safety out there.
    P. S. Have you considered putting brakes on the trailer?
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    What you're towing looks fine to me. Car manufacturers actively lie about what the cars will tow. Some specific examples that have affected me:

- Yaris in USA: 0 lbs towing. Yaris in Canada (EXACT same model, EXACT same assembly line, EXACT same parts): 700 lbs.
    - Crown victoria before watts linkage on rear axle: 5000 lbs. After: 1500 lbs. Despite that a watts linkage INCREASES towing capacity.

With most vehicles, IMHO, it is perfectly reasonable to tow up to the difference between the weight of the car itself (including anything you have in it) and the GVWR. The car's systems are definitely made to handle the GVWR. If that seems too complicated, limit your towing to half the weight of the vehicle dry, no more, unless the vehicle is rated for more (for the Mirage, I'd say 900 lbs).

As for being sued, that's certainly possible if you do things stupidly. It's also possible if you tow within specs on a vehicle. People can and will sue for anything.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 41.6 mpg (US) ... 17.7 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.0 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to shepd For This Useful Post:

poorman1 (03-28-2018)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    If you want an even more extreme example of how much car companies will lie in the US to sell you an SUV or truck, the VW Golf will apparently explode if you leave a rope dragging behind the car (0 lbs tow rating) but if you drive the same car in Europe, VW suggests you should tow up to 3000 lbs. Same car, same parts!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 41.6 mpg (US) ... 17.7 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.0 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to shepd For This Useful Post:

poorman1 (03-28-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shepd View Post
    - Crown victoria before watts linkage on rear axle: 5000 lbs. After: 1500 lbs. Despite that a watts linkage INCREASES towing capacity.
    I was on the Crown Vic forum for a lot of years. Even the Ford engineers admitted (off the record) that Ford didn't want people buying Crown Vics for towing. They wanted those buyers in more profitable SUVs and pickup trucks. It was funny how that car got better suspension/brakes over time, while at the same time getting a reduced towing capacity?!?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

poorman1 (03-28-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I haven't really tossed the idea of trailer brakes around, I feel the car has plenty of stopping power and distance in comparison with the cars normal braking but I'm planning to upgrade the cars brakes because I feel it could be better all around. Looking for a newer wrecked one to get the larger brakes off of. Apparently there're an inch bigger but on the whole it's not bad except for long steep downgrades which I would not even think about attempting to drag a trailer down with this car because the brakes heat up bad with just the car. If you saw the couple hills around here I'm talking about you might think it'd be crazy to drive down them in anything. A few wrecks a year from people who couldn't slow down at the bottom.

I completely agree with that company's underestimate cars abilities and I doubt if the engineers thought people would believe it could tow anything with that whopping 74hp so they probably didn't even bother testing it.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Z View Post
    If you saw the couple hills around here I'm talking about you might think it'd be crazy to drive down them in anything. A few wrecks a year from people who couldn't slow down at the bottom.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Z View Post
    I completely agree with that company's underestimate cars abilities and I doubt if the engineers thought people would believe it could tow anything with that whopping 74hp so they probably didn't even bother testing it.
    For some reason these two statements come across as contradictory. To me, anyway.

Any chance we could see video of these hills you speak of?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm just trying to say there are some extreams I wouldn't push my luck with. Since I'm driving up and down them I don't like to use my phone but I can try and get a picture or two, maybe a video.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Yeah I use a dash-mounted suction cup phone holder. Works great.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm glad my other vehicle is rated to tow 10,300lbs. So if I feel like towing both of my mirages and 3 of your guys, I can lmao