Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Towing impressions

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Towing impressions

So I finally got a receiver for my 2015 mirage and started dragging my trailer around. It's a 4x8 trailer and I've definitely loaded to 1500 lbs. It pulls and stops well. Personally I don't think the cars have a good breaking system and I have issues down steep inclines but on the whole it wasn't much harder to stop. Accelerating isn't much worse either but hills can be tricky if you have to stop. My biggest issue is with the stock springs mine have started to sag because of constantly overloading the car to begin with and with the trailer it looks like it's been lowered about 2-4 inches so I'll definitely have to upgrade to the Volkswagen springs. Overall it actually tows quite well and doesn't have much trouble pulling more than half its weight. Hopefully the photos upload.

Attached Images Attached Images    

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Joe Z For This Useful Post:

Daox (03-20-2018),Eggman (03-20-2018),Top_Fuel (03-21-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Maybe an airbag kit would help, those are adjustable. Marklovski had a set on his but removed them when he put coil overs on I believe. You might PM him to see if he’d part with them

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Marklovski (03-20-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I thought about the air bags but the between all the potholes and weight I've had in the car in the past the springs them selves are worn and sag when the cars empty. If the vw springs don't help enough I'll probably go with airbags. I'm hoping just by putting a stronger spring in it will be fine because it doesn't drop by much with the trailer in comparison to where it regularly sits. It just always leans to the rear anymore.

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    If you're hauling airbags is the way to go. I would tried to see if the airbags would fit inside my coilovers but they dont. So if I were to have a tow hitch with a rear basket I would just stiffen the suspension but I feel like the airbags would hold it up better.
    Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    These cars are not rated to tow anything. They don't have the brakes, tires, suspension, steering, engines, or transmissions for it.

If you read the manual you will see that towing is strictly 'verboten'. Not sure if you are still under warranty, but a tech seeing that tow hitch might give you some trouble if you have a claim.

There was a very contentious post about towing with the Mirage right here a couple years ago. Here it is...

http://mirageforum.com/forum/showthr...-with-a-mirage

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Eggman (03-21-2018),Top_Fuel (03-21-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I've seen that thred before. Personally my moto is safety third. I regularly haul 1 ton loads in my 1/2 ton truck and my warranty was out after the first year because of the mile I put on it. Really though the car is capable and the suspension is the only weak point I've seen but again it's partly because of previous abuse.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Z View Post
    I've seen that thred before. Personally my moto is safety third. I regularly haul 1 ton loads in my 1/2 ton truck and my warranty was out after the first year because of the mile I put on it. Really though the car is capable and the suspension is the only weak point I've seen but again it's partly because of previous abuse.
    Errrmm...okay. I hope your car does not have a CVT, at least?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It's the 5 speed. I know there's a lot of nay sayers out there but I just posted this to give my own experience with it. I've weighed the options and pros and cons and I decided to tow with my car instead of trading it in for more payments on something bigger that I can't afford. I didn't really have many options so it came down to this. Just wanted to put some info out there for anyone in the same boat and although most people wouldn't think about doing it a small portion might want to or need to and have the info is better than not.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have a harbor freight super duty 4x8 utility trailer I built and can't imagine trying to use the mirage to tow with it.

If I HAD to use the mirage is be comfortable with their 4x4 sized trailer.
    The super duty one is nice though! Holds 1790lbs. I've had a couple decent loads with no issues in it.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I am not trying to pick a fight here, but I am always amazed at how many people truly and firmly believe that any vehicle is suitable for towing 3/4 of a ton behind it as long as four critical criteria are met:

1. Successfully attaching a 1500 pound trailer to it somehow (hitch, chains, duct tape, bungee cords...).

2. Having it actually move under it's own power under ideal, non-emergency conditions.

3. Having it more or less turn under ideal, non-emergency conditions.

4. Having it more or less stop under ideal, non-emergency conditions.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Pryme (03-22-2018)