Thread: Programming Keyless Entry and Keyless Ignition Remote

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Programming Keyless Entry and Keyless Ignition Remote

I bought my Mirage with a key that was only partially programmed to the car. I believe it was repo'ed. The Keyless Ignition works. The buttons on the remote unlock and lock the doors. The buttons on the doors do not work. The dealer is saying almost $200 just to program one key. I would like to buy a used Mitsubishi remote and program both keys together. Every tool I find is for engine starter immobilizer keys.

What tools and software would I need to program the keys myself? Alternatively do most advanced mechanics have the software to code the ECU?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Hello Max Looker and welcome to the forum.

I don't believe anyone has reported here being able to successfully program or modify keyless operation. Mitsubishi refers to this as KOS for Keyless Operation System. I believe it's a dealer only thing.

Without going into great detail, have you tried replacing the battery on your key? As the battery gets weaker, it is unable to communicate with the vehicle's security system & immobilizer, causing problems similar to what you are describing. Let us know if it looks like this:

Also, have you read through your Owner's Manual? It explains how to use these keys.

My Mirage has the KOS and I think it works great. When I purchased it new from the dealer, I was quoted over $400 for an extra key.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    This isn't as easy as it sounds....

Used keys can't be used unless they are 'wiped' of their original programming first. A re-programming procedure will not overwrite the old programming on the key. Not sure what it takes to perform this process, but you can find such keys ready to go on Ebay. Be sure to match the FCC numbers on the fob because a couple different ones were used over the course of production. They all look the same and I am not sure of the interchange.

It seems that this is largely a dealer-only operation. Some people have reported that even professional locksmiths have trouble with coding Mitsubishi keys, and I have never heard of any consumer being able to do it. Be careful! If you have one key that works you can have as many as eight others added to the car's system. But if you make a mistake doing this and wind up with NONE that work, you may wind up have to tow it to the dealership and pay them their blood money for new fobs and a from-scratch reprogramming. That could wind up being near four figures.

These keys aren't like the old 2-button Ford stuff where you buy one for $3.00 at a wrecking yard, rapidly cycle the ignition switch eight times, and hold both buttons to code them to the car. They are actually quite a pain in the ass. I am in the same boat as you, having lost one of the FAST keys for my Mirage a couple months ago.

If you find something that works please report back! Good luck!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    This isn't as easy as it sounds....
    A re-programming procedure will not overwrite the old programming on the key...
    It seems that this is largely a dealer-only operation...
    +1

I'm not sure why the dealer is charging almost $200 for this service. I brought 2 'blank' eBay fobs to a local Nissan dealer (along with one functioning fob) and they reprogrammed all 3 to the car for $90. This is on a push-button start car.

A similar discussion can be found in this thread.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Hey Max Looker, any updates? I hope you have this resolved.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)