Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Am I a good Mirage candidate?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Top 3 in no particular order. Mirage hatchback, Chevy Spark, Fiat 500.

All three of these can be purchased three year old for $8000 or less. A test drive will determine my preference between Spark and Mirage. If the highway handling is very poor on the Mirage, then that puts the Spark ahead, but if it's tolerable, the Mirage would come out ahead. The Spark does not come standard with cruise and that's a near deal breaker. The Fiat has the 2 door issue and as a second car, we would prefer a 5 door hatch.

Last edited by gregsfc; 03-30-2018 at 11:03 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Now if it were all about my preference to drive, then it would be a late model Fiesta with the 1.0L Ecoboost that was available from 2014-2016, but used Fiestas are $12K- $13K, and big part of my attraction towards a two- to- four- year old subcompact is the very low price that they can be had for, so the Fiesta proposition defeats the whole purpose unless I found one with body damage that I could accept for cheap. Otherwise, the top three are the only real choices due to their low price resale value.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gregsfc View Post

All three of these can be purchased three year old for $8000 or less. A test drive will determine my preference between Spark and Mirage. If the highway handling is very poor on the Mirage, then that puts the Spark ahead, but if it's tolerable, the Mirage would come out ahead. The Spark does not come standard with cruise and that's a near deal breaker. The Fiat has the 2 door issue and as a second car, we would prefer a 5 door hatch.
    I also considered the Spark and 500 along with the Mirage. The 500 just doesn’t deliver that great of economy and there just isn’t enough interior space for my needs. The Spark has had some serious long term reliability issues (ask Fummins, they had a fleet of them). A ‘14 or ‘15 Mirage has a super soft suspension which for less than $100 the rear springs can be upgraded and with the addition of Daox’s new rear stabilizer bar that problem can be eliminated. Gas prices are climbing and with th current geopolitical climate waiting too long might not be advantageous. Remember when fuel prices popped over $4 a gallon and Metro’s were suddenly worth a bunch of money. Well here on the Southern Oregon Coast we’re over $3 a gallon now with a few places pushing $3.20. With the CUV/SUV craze in full force there just aren’t that many non hybrid cars that deliver excellent economy. If you’re really going to buy a subcompact I wouldn’t wait too long because once people start spending $75-100 dollars to fill up their vehicles subcompacts start looking mighty attractive.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (03-30-2018),Eggman (03-30-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    I also considered the Spark and 500 along with the Mirage. The 500 just doesn’t deliver that great of economy and there just isn’t enough interior space for my needs. The Spark has had some serious long term reliability issues (ask Fummins, they had a fleet of them). A ‘14 or ‘15 Mirage has a super soft suspension which for less than $100 the rear springs can be upgraded and with the addition of Daox’s new rear stabilizer bar that problem can be eliminated. Gas prices are climbing and with th current geopolitical climate waiting too long might not be advantageous. Remember when fuel prices popped over $4 a gallon and Metro’s were suddenly worth a bunch of money. Well here on the Southern Oregon Coast we’re over $3 a gallon now with a few places pushing $3.20. With the CUV/SUV craze in full force there just aren’t that many non hybrid cars that deliver excellent economy. If you’re really going to buy a subcompact I wouldn’t wait too long because once people start spending $75-100 dollars to fill up their vehicles subcompacts start looking mighty attractive.
    /\ This. I had a 1991 Geo Metro XFi when gas prices really went through the roof. In 2007, guys in huge pickup trucks snickered at my Metro when I was at the gas station. In 2008, those same guys sheepishly walked up asked to BUY IT OFF OF ME.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

inuvik (03-30-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    /\ This. I had a 1991 Geo Metro XFi when gas prices really went through the roof. In 2007, guys in huge pickup trucks snickered at my Metro when I was at the gas station. In 2008, those same guys sheepishly walked up asked to BUY IT OFF OF ME.
    Exactly, I think if anyone is committed to buy a Mirage (used or new), waiting would not be advantageous.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

The average US gas price already hit a 2 year high this week. Prices normally peak in late summer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts

$8000 budget

Quote Originally Posted by gregsfc View Post

If you are willing to spend $8000, you can find a one year old Mirage in my area for that price. You don't have to spend $8000 on a 3-4 year old used Mirage. You will be able to find a one year old model (updated version) for that price!

Below is a 2017 Mirage SE (manual) with 15,541 miles for $7995. You won't find a 2018 SE manual (SE trims dropped manuals in 2018), and the SE trim level will give you backup camera, more adjustable seats, and cruise control. If the ad is truthful and this car hasn't been in accident, this is a great deal. I would drive a distance for a car like this.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...0811/overview/

Here's another example - 2017 Mirage ES (manual) with 18,781 miles for $6999.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...2963/overview/

Good deals on used 2017 models are starting to appear. My point is $8000 would buy you a very nice car! If gas prices do continue to go up, the deals on these cars may go down. I am not a good predictor of that. I did search your area a bit, and I didn't find as good of a deal on a used 2017 model with manual transmission.

You own a Fiat. Thus, you know what they are like. Test drive a 2018 Mirage. If you like it, the 2017 model isn't going to be that different. In the case of the SE model with manual, the 2017 model is your only choice. I wouldn't rule out test driving a 2014/15 Mirage either.

These are just suggestions on my part. I think $8000 can buy a lot of car in this car segment. A Spark had to many red flags for me, & I prefer a 4-door hatch over 2-doors. I really wanted fuel economy, too. I am very happy with my Mirage. If something happened to mine, I would be driving to New Berlin today and checking out the 2017 SE model listed above.

Good luck!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    The average US gas price already hit a 2 year high this week. Prices normally peak in late summer.
    Oh yeah. I've thought of this as well. If gas prices go up, this is a totally different conversation with regards to buying a "cheap" car due to it being perceived as "under powered", and that's one of the reasons I'm leaning toward Mirage. I've read reports up near 50 mpg; whereas you don't read this regarding the Spark. In my situation, I'd probably break through the 40 barrier in a Spark, but I'd bet that I'd reach near 50 in a Mirage just based on how I usually do versus EPA estimates; especially when it's a smaller vehicle.

The Spark was redone for 2016 MY and according to reviews, it is much better composed, albeit even smaller. So that's probably the MY I'd want if I choose a Spark. The Mirage was redone for 2017 MY (and there wasn't a 2016 MY Mirage), and that' probably the Mirage I'd want.

So it's between two risks of acting now or acting later. Acting now creates a risk of being over extended with regards to debt. The risk of waiting is that gas prices will shoot up and these great little cars will then be expensive. I'd rather take the second risk. However, I bought the Fiat for $8K; paid $3200 down and just paid down another big chunk before even the fist payment was due as I sold a motorcycle. So now I owe $3300 on the Fiat. When I get to zero and sell the Saturn, then I'll make a move on a subcompact. I've got to get a part put on the Saturn to get the check engine light off. It's a evap emissions canister. Once I get that, the Saturn will be for sale. Then I just keep going until I've got the Fiat paid off and around $3K for a down payment.

It's only if the Mirage ride is unacceptable to me that I would opt for the Spark over a Mirage. And I will take in to account the modifications suggested, but I'm not usually one to start modifying stock vehicles. I really like great mpg and could care less about sport performance, although I do prefer some low or mid range torque, and so for the most part, the Mirage is my kind of car. Two out of three ain't bad for that price.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    What's the Spark reliability like? I recall hearing it had problems.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    There are some Mirages available around my region used for sell. Some are MT. All are advertised too high; some of them are more than what some have claimed paying new on this thread, and they are just the base trim. One is advertised at $6900; a 2014 with over 100,000 miles. That will never sell at that advertised price.

But there is one exception; one advertised for $5950; a 2015; with less than 30,000 miles. Spoiler, cruise and fog lights. Blue. If only I could quickly test drive it and inspect the body; get it checked mechanically; and sell the Saturn, I'd probably pull the trigger. It's 85 miles away at a dealership in Murfreesboro and priced way under all the others for its age and mileage. The Saturn trade value is only $750; private seller value is $2900 median price. Trade wouldn't work unless they'd give me $1K more than the trade value. Drove and carpooled with the spouse in the Saturn to work this morning; just like we do most mornings. fifty-eight mile commute. Really nice car considering it's value. Gets near 30 mpg commuting and errand running. Rides very smooth; much smoother than any econobox. Looks great too. May just be smart and drive it to 250,000 miles. Just don't like driving a mid sized sedan automatic, but might just have to keep driving it anyway. Tough dilemma. Thanks for the help on here. I'm not much scared of buying a used Mirage especially from what was said from the fleet manager about these cars. It's just that I can change to something I want and come up several model years without owing a bunch. If I had a 2007 Honda CRV or Toyota RAV4 or something, I'd be in good shape, but I've got a great Saturn car with little value.

http://discountautostn.com/2015-Mits...6/Details.aspx