Thread: Need help on wiring to get through the firewall

Country
    Malaysia
    Thanks

Need help on wiring to get through the firewall

Greetings,

I got a custom headlight project going on. The headlight projector was included with a drl angel eyes and a demon eyes led. I want to make a separate independent switch for both of the angel drl and demon eyes bcos i want to be a bit of conservative on the fancy lights, and easier for me to get through roadblocks and stuff.

My problem now is i dont have any idea where to run the wire from the engine compartment fusebox into the cabin. Mine was right hand drive version.

I did notice there's 2 wiring harness that get thru the firewall behind the battery but it's very tight and i have no idea how to deal with that rubber gromet bcos it was very tight!

Last edited by dgiarazza; 03-25-2018 at 10:13 AM.

Country
    Malaysia
    Thanks
    Name:  P_20180325_150316.jpg
Views: 930
Size:  90.0 KB

Country
    Malaysia
    Thanks
    Another problem that i forgot to mention is that, behind those two wire harnesses was my glovebox. Upon pulling out the glovebox from its bracket, i cannot find the other end of the 2 harnesses coming in. The view was completely blocked by the blower and it was super tight space in there. Cant even get my hand fit in.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I drilled a hole in the driver side wheel well, which came out right underneath the interior fusebox. There is also an unused rubber grommet on the passenger side. I imagine it would be the same on the RHD model. Of course these spots require taking off the plastic wheel well liners, which is a bit annoying, but I don't know of any better options.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 42.7 mpg (US) ... 18.1 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.2 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to anog For This Useful Post:

dgiarazza (03-25-2018)

Country
    Malaysia
    Thanks
    I dont think im ready yet to drill a hole unless that could be my last option. Im looking on a way to run a wire without drilling any hole. Btw, my interior fusebox was located just behind the glovebox. I didn't find any other rubber gromet other than those 2 that I mentioned.

It could be possible for me to poke a small hole for my wire to run thru that rubber gromet but then I wouldn't know whether is there any chance for me to pull my wire from the cabin since the blower blocked my view.

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    You can cut a slit on that rubber grommet holding the wiring harness. Please see my Garage entry post #46

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mitz For This Useful Post:

dgiarazza (03-27-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Maybe it's only on the North American version, but if you can find that rubber plug, you wouldn't need to drill through any metal. It is a solid rubber plug, located between the passenger footwell area and the wheel well on the outside. You can only see it by sticking your head in the passenger foot area - like I said it comes out in the wheel well, so you won't be able to see it from the outside unless you take the plastic wheel liner out.

Mitz probably has the easier method, I just wanted to give another possible option.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 42.7 mpg (US) ... 18.1 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.2 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to anog For This Useful Post:

dgiarazza (03-27-2018)

Country
    Malaysia
    Thanks
    Mitz,

So after slitting that rubber gromet, just push the wire into it bit by bit and fish it in from the cabin right? If it confirmed then I'll give it a try

Country
    Malaysia
    Thanks
    anog,

Some couple of pics would be great! Anyways, thanks for the idea, i will try to search for that rubber plug tho. But dealing with the wheel liner would be a bit cumbersome. If that happen to be my last resort, and so be it. Haha

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dgiarazza View Post
    Mitz,

So after slitting that rubber gromet, just push the wire into it bit by bit and fish it in from the cabin right? If it confirmed then I'll give it a try
    Yes .. I taped the automotive wire onto a stiff GI wire (the one that is being used in house construction) as a guide and pushed it through the harness.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mitz For This Useful Post:

dgiarazza (03-30-2018)