Thread: Valid TPMS software confirmed in aftermarket

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Valid TPMS software confirmed in aftermarket

Recently had a TPMS sensor replaced and programed to the ECU at a non-dealer mechanic. First sensor we tried, a widely used brand name, would not work for some reason, second sensor was dealer sourced and was then (at the private shop) successfully programed/recognized by the ECU. TPMS light is now off. Not sure what software or device was used but the shop owner said he had to use ''the expensive one''. So at least Mitsubishi is not holding the software hostage.

The shop is in Southern California, called Bymar Tire and a lot of the local mecs sub-out TPMS issues to them. I am not associated with them but they gave me the go ahead to post. Looks like its not only a difficult to find software issue but the TPMS sensor needs to be OEM sourced as well.

Saved 80 bucks over dealer. NONE of the national chain tire shops near me could program the TPMS to ECU so its still seems like the software is fairly new or hard to comeby.

Also, local dealer reports 40% of aftermarket tpms sensors, across brands, won't work and they don't know why.

Just wanted to pass along that if someone is determined to bypass dealer pricing it is possible, but buy an oem sourced sensor or risk it not working despite having proper software.

Last edited by gone.a; 03-26-2018 at 02:48 AM.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to gone.a For This Useful Post:

01-7700 (03-26-2018),Cobrajet (03-26-2018),Daox (03-26-2018),tomrad (03-26-2018),Top_Fuel (03-26-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ahausheer View Post
    Recently had a TPMS sensor replaced and programed to the ECU at a non-dealer mechanic.
    So this shop didn't clone your "dead" TPMS sensor ID into a new aftermarket programmable sensor. They installed a new OEM sensor and then updated the ECU with that new sensor ID, right?

Did you see how they programmed the ID of the new sensor into the ECU? Did they plug the tool into the OBDII port and then write the ID into it...or did they put the ECU into "learn" mode and then trigger each TPMS sensor so the ECU could re-learn each one? I'm not sure how the official Mitsubishi process works.

First sensor we tried, a widely used brand name, would not work for some reason
    Interesting. I know some aftermarket sensors work. I had one of these aftermarket sensors in my car for 2+ years without a problem (until the battery in it died!). The dealer had to program it to the car...but it worked.

I have a new programmable TPMS sensor (like this) sitting on my desk right now...and I have the tool the program it. I either need to find a volunteer who is willing to try it, or I will have to try it myself...even though all of my sensor are currently working.

If anyone has a non-functioning TPMS sensor (and you know the sensor ID), I will gladly program the one I have and give it to you if you're willing to try it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Eggman (03-26-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Wish I could answer those questions but I am not sure. All I know is that Mitsu is not hoarding the software and forcing dealer visits.

Also, local dealer reports 40% of aftermarket tpms sensors, across brands, won't work and they don't know why.

Just wanted to pass along that if someone is determined to bypass dealer pricing it is possible but buy an oem sourced sensor or risk it not working despite having proper software.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to gone.a For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (03-26-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    The easiest way to fix a dead TPMS sensor is to obtain the ID number of the bad sensor and program (clone) a new sensor with that same ID number. If you do this, there's no need for any software to interact with the car's computer because it already has that ID number stored.

The only time you need a scan tool to interact with the car is when you are replacing a TPMS sensor with a completely new one. A new sensor will have a different sensor ID number, and you need a tool to write that new ID number into the computer.

If they installed a new OEM Mitsubishi TPMS sensor in your car, then their tool must be able to write the new ID directly into the Mirage's computer. Either that, or their tool can put the computer into a "learn" mode and each TPMS sensor could be triggered manually...which would result in the 4 TPMS IDs being stored in the computer this way.

The problem with most aftermarket TPMS tools seems to be this: They never actually test them on a Mirage. They work on other Mitsubishi models (Outlander), so the manufacturer assumes they will work on the Mirage. Unfortunately, they almost never do. There's some quirk that prevents most aftermarket TPMS tools from reading/writing TPMS IDs in the Mirage's computer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)