Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bent my Steel Wheel and Lost a Hubcap

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I did ask them to do a full alignment check so I am assuming they did just that. It also doesn't "feel" out of alignment at all on the road.

2017 Mirage ES CVT "Koopa Kart"

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dabullfrog91 View Post
    Anyone got some suggestions for some under $40 aftermarket caps?
    I got some $20 hubcaps off amazon. They lasted about a year before the surface started flaking/pitting... my advice would be to go without hubcaps for a week and see how you like it. At first I was against it because I thought it looked ghetto, but I tried it and I think it looks much better than the factory (and even aftermarket) hubcaps I was using.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 42.7 mpg (US) ... 18.1 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anog View Post
    I got some $20 hubcaps off amazon. They lasted about a year before the surface started flaking/pitting... my advice would be to go without hubcaps for a week and see how you like it. At first I was against it because I thought it looked ghetto, but I tried it and I think it looks much better than the factory (and even aftermarket) hubcaps I was using.
    One of the main functions of a hubcap is to keep dirt/salt/grime off of your open lug nuts and wheel hubs. I guess we are coming out of winter now...sort of...but I don't know if I would leave my lugs exposed too long in "The Rust Belt".

JMHO.

Now, if the OP were in California it might be a different story.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    One of the main functions of a hubcap is to keep dirt/salt/grime off of your open lug nuts and wheel hubs. I guess we are coming out of winter now...sort of...but I don't know if I would leave my lugs exposed too long in "The Rust Belt".

JMHO.

Now, if the OP were in California it might be a different story.
    Good point, I usually spray them with some anti-corrosion spray although I'm sure it doesn't last long being open to the elements. I guess my advice should be, don't buy the $20 hubcaps.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 42.7 mpg (US) ... 18.1 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Take a look at the tire where the rim is bent. Is the tire cut or gouged? Does the sidewall seem OK in that area (not bulging, etc)? You may want to remove the wheel to closely inspect the tire. Keep a close eye on it for a while. If you aren't comfortable doing any of this, take it to a shop you trust and pay them to do it.

The tires on a Mirage (Dunlop Enasaves) are extremely light duty and they don't have a lot of meat in the sidewall. If the tire has been damaged, get it replaced.

If the lip of the wheel is bent a little, that can be bent back into shape. But if the wheel was hit that hard, have a tire shop spin the wheel on a wheel balancer to make sure it's still straight. The cheapest source of a new wheel and/or hubcap is going to be eBay or a local auto recycler (aka junk yard).

Now would be a good time to have your alignment checked. Even if your Mirage only has a few thousand miles on it, many Mirages aren't properly aligned from the factory.
    Exact same thing happened to me today. G4 lost a front left OEM hub cap. I decided I didnt want to spend $100 at a dealership for one so bought some 14 " cheap ones at Walmart, put them on but noticed the back left wheel looked slightly bent around the lip. Put it on any way and did a small trip on the highway to test it out. Sure enough the back left wheel hub cap feel off. Does this steel wheel look that badly damaged and if not, what can I do to keep a hub cap on? Name:  20190704_195832.jpg
Views: 671
Size:  89.0 KBName:  20190704_195816.jpg
Views: 619
Size:  84.3 KB

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    You don't want to keep riding on that rim. Replace it asap. It will contribute to a rough ride, increased bearing wear, accelerate wear on your damper (shock absorber) and other suspension components.

Time to either:
    1. Browse Craigslist for bargain set of wheels or
    2. Visit a scrap yard for a replacement rim. And while you are at a scrapyard, get some wheel covers.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (07-05-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Man...what kind of Grand Canyon pot holes are your guys hitting?!?

How far are you from Chattanooga? There's an LKQ Pick-Your-Part there and they have a 2018 G4 in stock. I think a 14" steel wheel is only something like $10.

Name:  lkq.jpg
Views: 600
Size:  83.3 KB

You might be able to hammer that lip back into place, but consider a new wheel since they are fairly cheap.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (07-05-2019),MetroMPG (07-05-2019)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Man...what kind of Grand Canyon pot holes are your guys hitting?!?

How far are you from Chattanooga? There's an LKQ Pick-Your-Part there and they have a 2018 G4 in stock. I think a 14" steel wheel is only something like $10.

Name:  lkq.jpg
Views: 600
Size:  83.3 KB

You might be able to hammer that lip back into place, but consider a new wheel since they are fairly cheap.
    Thats whats I was thinking, it only looks like the lip up close. Ill check it out at a tire place first I guess its the only way I can be 100% percent sure. You think its just only the lip?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Exact same thing happened to me today. G4 lost a front left OEM hub cap. I decided I didnt want to spend $100 at a dealership for one so bought some 14 " cheap ones at Walmart, put them on but noticed the back left wheel looked slightly bent around the lip. Put it on any way and did a small trip on the highway to test it out. Sure enough the back left wheel hub cap feel off. Does this steel wheel look that badly damaged and if not, what can I do to keep a hub cap on?
    I would surely start with what Eggman suggested. If you strike out there, I bought a pair of steel rims from "onlywheels.com". They were $50/rim with free shipping when I bought them. I checked, & they still carry them. Selecting the right steel rim for a Mirage wasn't working for me on their website tonight. I would consider calling them if that is the case.

I say this, because these 14" steel rims come in 2 different widths, 4 different bolt patterns, 3 different offsets, & 5 different hub bore openings. Thus, you want to make sure you order the correct steel rim. I bought the 5.5" wide steel rims. 165-185 width tires will mount perfectly on them. There are no brake clearance issues (2017+ Mirages have larger front brakes), & the factory hub caps fit in them just fine. Those were my two concerns when I order them.

Even though these steel rims came from Canada, I got them within a few days. I share all this, because I wouldn't pay more than $50 for a used rim when you can get a new one for that price.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (07-05-2019),MetroMPG (07-05-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    You think its just only the lip?
    Lift that corner of the car and give the wheel a spin by hand and see what you think. Heck, post of video if you like.

We can't see if it bent the whole wheel from here, but I'd say it's roached. And I would expect a tire shop would say the same, if only for liability reasons.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (07-05-2019)