Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Mirage vs Versa for work commute - Which is more reliable?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by morse View Post
    Ah I see. Another thing I noticed was when accelerating to 40mph from 0, I couldn't feel any transmission shifts (it's like it was stuck in 1st gear and the engine was hitting 3K rpm). In my corolla, at 40mph, you would feel 3 shifts (0-10 1st, 20 2nd, and at 40mph 3rd)

How good is the mitsubishi warranty? I've read in some consumer reviews where people had trouble putting through a warrranty claim?
    I'd say Mitsubishi, from reading here, is superb in handling warranty issues. They have replaced heater cores that entail tearing apart the entire dash, short blocks for piston slap, countless rear axles, and many other defects that I suspect other manufacturers would try to weasel out of.

I'm particularily interested in the first claims to surface for rusting issues. There's a lot of bare steel in our little cars, the paint is fairly thin in spots and whatever rust proofing is factory applied is invisible to me. It doesn't really matter how good the mechanical warranty is if the unibody starts to resemble swiss cheese.

Oh, and I've rented the Versa & Mirage back to back several times and found the Mirage to be the better car. On the hwy the Versa turned about 1600rpm@70mph (lowest I've personally seen at that speed) vs. the Mirage turning about 2000 for the same speed. Considering the volumetric difference of the engines the mpg difference is explained pretty well.

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    As long as this car lasts me the next 10 years with out any major issues, I will be happy. Then it's time for the 2028 Mirage (hope it's electric ).

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by morse View Post
    Ah I see. Another thing I noticed was when accelerating to 40mph from 0, I couldn't feel any transmission shifts (it's like it was stuck in 1st gear and the engine was hitting 3K rpm). In my corolla, at 40mph, you would feel 3 shifts (0-10 1st, 20 2nd, and at 40mph 3rd)

How good is the mitsubishi warranty? I've read in some consumer reviews where people had trouble putting through a warrranty claim?
    The cvt trans by definition has no shift points, it's continuously variable. Think snowmobile or ATV but a woven steel belt instead of rubber.
    Next time you drive one try this.. hold accellerator so rpm stays at say 2500, watch how the speed changes from dead stop all the way to highway speed while rpm is unchanged. Adversly your Corolla's engine revs up, shifts, revs up, shifts, revs up.. and so on.
    There is an auxiliary hi/lo gearbox integrated in the cvt that shifts anywhere from 50 km/h to 90 km/hr depending on how hard you're accellerating. This shift you will feel.
    It also accounts for the light clunk when stopping as it downshifts. This will also "downshift" like a passing gear if you accelerate from cruising speed quickly.
    I'm in my second cvt mirage now and have gotten used to how it works.

As to warranty I think my dealer shop sucks bad at diagnosis but when the problem is found it's fixed without hassle. My 2014 got a new engine block due to piston slap in early engines..the 2017 has had the rear window regulator changed and a whole new exhaust due to a rattle.
    It took a while to find issues but no issue getting repaired free.
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to IchabodCrane For This Useful Post:

Eggman (04-05-2018)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Do you think the hi/low gear box was designed to lessen the wear and tear of the cvt7?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    No, its there mostly to allow the CVT to be smaller (via smaller pulleys) and also have a wider gear ratio.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Do you plan on having passengers often? If so, the Versa (I'm assuming you want the sedan) would be a better choice. It has a ton of room inside. I sampled Nissan's whole car lineup at a car show once, and shockingly, the Versa had the most generous backseat. More room than the Altima, and more than the Maxima. I've been around town in a co-worker's Versa, and it fits 4 medium-tall adult men comfortably. Plus, the extra power means the car would be less taxed when shuttling around 500lb+ of extra passenger weight.

I haven't been in a Mirage G4 sedan before, but I have read that the backseat is roomier than the hatchback. I'm not sure how much roomier, though. I just spent a week driving my visiting family around town in my hatchback. One sibling, two parents. We're all maybe a little skinnier than average, but my dad is 6'3", and it was pretty tight with him in front and my average-height sister behind him. After I dropped them off at the airport again, the Mirage felt so much faster without all the passenger weight.

If you're alone most of the time, the Mirage will be much better on gas, and has many more standard features. I don't much care for gizmos, like you, but power windows are nice to have on a 4-door car when you're alone and want to crack open that rear passenger window.
    Last edited by Scratchpaddy; 03-30-2019 at 01:14 AM.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    I was tempted about purchasing a Versa hatch. They look great, but was concerned about reliability. So I buy a Mirage with a CVT only to find out after the fact both companies have the same Jatco CVT7 lol. Jesus Christ

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    I was tempted about purchasing a Versa hatch. They look great, but was concerned about reliability. So I buy a Mirage with a CVT only to find out after the fact both companies have the same Jatco CVT7 lol. Jesus Christ
    So, do you suppose it's possible that the Jatco CVT7 might hold up better in the Mirage?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    I know I called multiple transmission shops to get their opinion and hardly any of them said they seen a Mirage. Nissans all day of course, one guy said. Another said he worked on 2 Mirages but the only reason they broke was because they put the wrong fluid in. (Universal vs OEM)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Scratchpaddy View Post
    Do you plan on having passengers often? If so, the Versa (I'm assuming you want the sedan) would be a better choice. It has a ton of room inside. I sampled Nissan's whole car lineup at a car show once, and shockingly, the Versa had the most generous backseat. More room than the Altima, and more than the Maxima. I've been around town in a co-worker's Versa, and it fits 4 medium-tall adult men comfortably. Plus, the extra power means the car would be less taxed when shuttling around 500lb+ of extra passenger weight.

I haven't been in a Mirage G4 sedan before, but I have read that the backseat is roomier than the hatchback. I'm not sure how much roomier, though. I just spent a week driving my visiting family around town in my hatchback. One sibling, two parents. We're all maybe a little skinnier than average, but my dad is 6'3", and it was pretty tight with him in front and my average-height sister behind him. After I dropped them off at the airport again, the Mirage felt so much faster without all the passenger weight.

If you're alone most of the time, the Mirage will be much better on gas, and has many more standard features. I don't much care for gizmos, like you, but power windows are nice to have on a 4-door car when you're alone and want to crack open that rear passenger window.
    The g4 backseat is way roomier than the hatch. I actually find the g4 more comfortable for me to drive as it has more legroom too but they only offered it stripped down in manual form.