Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Mirage vs Versa for work commute - Which is more reliable?

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

2018 Mirage vs Versa for work commute - Which is more reliable?

I'm looking to replace my 2000 corolla with a reliable cheap basic car for work 100%. I found a new 2018 Nissan Versa and a Mirage for about the same price. I travel about 65 miles a day (2 way, about 75% highway) and the roads are full of potholes. Never cared about bells and whistles, just need basic transportation.

Is the Mirage or is the Versa the better option? How good is the mirage reliability? I do about 70-75mph and there about 2 ramps that I would need to accelerate fast. My guess is the 3 cyclinder would be in more use at higher RPM versus the Versa.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Do you have a strong transmission preference?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Oh yeah, it has to be automatic (dont know manual).

Mirage reliability is probably a bit better, based on anecdotal reports.

Both cars use the same CVT, unless you've managed to find a Versa with the old-school 4-speed slushbox (do they still spec the base Versa with that?).

The Versa is significantly more powerful -- 109 hp vs. 78 -- so probably more pleasant to drive at ~75 mph.

But the Mirage will save money in fuel, and the warranty is twice as long.

I'd say: go try them both and report back.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Just test drove the 2018 Mirage G4 and here are the things I noticed:

- After accelerating to 45mph fast (around 3K rpm) and coming to a complete regular normal stop, the CVT jolted once when it idled at the stop..I think it's normal for CVT not sure.

- Steering felt a little tight especially considering it's electric steering. When I drove cars with electric steering, they usually had zero feedback/resistance.

- Felt that you had to press the brakes a little harder to get them to "really" engage

- Didn't like the fact there was no center console between the front seats..that's where I usually rest my elbow

I come from driving a 2000 corolla 4spd auto daily..so maybe these things are normal.

Other than that, the car is very nice. Lot's of room inside, seats and ride are comfortable. Seems like a minimal simplistic work horse car. Didn't notice much engine noise, it's slower to accelerate but more than enough power is there.

For 2019, they should consider making a base model with no bells and whistles (except include an auto) and make it cheaper.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by morse View Post
    - After accelerating to 45mph fast (around 3K rpm) and coming to a complete regular normal stop, the CVT jolted once when it idled at the stop..I think it's normal for CVT not sure.
    I don't have a CVT, but I believe some people do experience a "jerk" from their CVT under these conditions. Search the forum for "CVT + jerk" and you'll find a few topics.

- Steering felt a little tight especially considering it's electric steering. When I drove cars with electric steering, they usually had zero feedback/resistance.
    Returnless steering...a Mirage feature. I honestly never noticed it until someone else pointed it out.

- Felt that you had to press the brakes a little harder to get them to "really" engage
    Then don't buy a used 2014-2015. They have smaller brakes than that 2018 you just drove.

- Didn't like the fact there was no center console between the front seats..that's where I usually rest my elbow
    Yeah...a somewhat common complaint. There is an OEM console you can install. Details here.

Seems like a minimal simplistic work horse car.
    That's pretty much it. Pretty simple...and more importantly...very reliable. If you just want to put gas in it and go without worrying about what's going to fail, the Mirage is tough to beat.

For 2019, they should consider making a base model with no bells and whistles (except include an auto) and make it cheaper.
    Well...they keep adding features. So don't look for a crank-window non-AC Mirage any time soon (at least in the US market). But if a new generation Mirage is around the corner, they won't be shy about using big rebates to blow out existing stock.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Mirages are quite reliable, and pretty well screwed together. The Versa? Eh...not so much. I am not sure how the '18s are, but some late model Versas had problems with engine piston slap and peeling paint. But they are bigger and have more horsepower, so there's that.

The Mirage really isn't meant to be a freeway commuter. It's a city car, so there are going to be some compromises at 70 mph...most of which you have already noted.

To speak a bit more about reliability, my '15 has just under 91,000 miles on it and hasn't given me one day's trouble. That is very typical for these cars. I personally know FIVE other Mirage owners and they report the same thing. Zero trouble. There is a reason the Mirage has the best warranty in the business and the Versa, well...doesn't.

Size and horsepower = Versa

Reliability and fuel economy = Mirage

The CVT in these cars is actually mated to a two-speed gearbox for additional economy. This gearbox downshifting into low gear when you get to a stop is the soft 'clunk' you feel. From what I understand it's normal.
    Last edited by Cobrajet; 04-05-2018 at 08:42 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Ah I see. Another thing I noticed was when accelerating to 40mph from 0, I couldn't feel any transmission shifts (it's like it was stuck in 1st gear and the engine was hitting 3K rpm). In my corolla, at 40mph, you would feel 3 shifts (0-10 1st, 20 2nd, and at 40mph 3rd)

How good is the mitsubishi warranty? I've read in some consumer reviews where people had trouble putting through a warrranty claim?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by morse View Post
    Ah I see. Another thing I noticed was when accelerating to 40mph from 0, I couldn't feel any transmission shifts (it's like it was stuck in 1st gear and the engine was hitting 3K rpm). In my corolla, at 40mph, you would feel 3 shifts (0-10 1st, 20 2nd, and at 40mph 3rd)

How good is the mitsubishi warranty? I've read in some consumer reviews where people had trouble putting through a warrranty claim?
    I don't have a CVT, but if you were accelerating hard the gearbox may have actually stayed in 'low'? I am sure others here can elaborate on it's operation further.

Warranty claims have been pretty few and far between with these cars, at least among us forumers. But, like with any manufacturer, the warranty claims we have had don't always go as smooth as silk. The only warranty claim I had was with the lug nuts on the left front wheel. They had corroded and turned a dingy gray shortly after I bought the car. ONLY on that wheel.

These lug nuts were replaced with no fuss at all. Others have had their dealers deny a warranty claim for the exact same issue. I guess what I will say is the Mirage isn't a car that is going to have you at the dealership screaming at the service manager on a regular basis.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    So much depends on the service manager and department, and their level of competency. Mitsubishi corporate is reported to be responsive in handling problems and problematic service here stateside.

Last edited by Eggman; 04-05-2018 at 02:11 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)