Thread: Mazda SkyActive in 2014 Mazda 3

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Mazda SkyActive in 2014 Mazda 3

I know, I may be on the wrong forum, but discovered this for fans of affordable fuel efficiency -

Seems the 2014 Mazda3 has their "skyactiv" system (engine/transmission) standard. This represents a combined fuel efficiency improvement on the base model of 1.2l/100km (from 7.1l/100km to 5.9l/100km combined). I am comparing the manual transmission versions. Last year the "skyactiv" was a pricey up-model option.

I don't really know what "skyactiv" is, or how it works except that they mention direct injection, reduced friction, and I notice the compression ratio seems to be higher at 13:1. I cannot comment on durability, or whether this system will suffer from the reported issues with ecoboost (performs well in test, but real world efficiency isn't there). I'd be interested to hear how they do this and if there are any compromises with respect to durability, maintenance, or other cost of ownership issues.

Even still, it seems like a technological coup to get 4.8l/100km on the highway with a vehicle that has more than double the power and torque of the Mirage, is quite a bit heavier, and bigger in most dimensions. Of course the Mirage destroys the Mazda in city driving.

The price is higher at $16 000 +$1700 delivery compared to $12 500 + $1450 delivery. However, the Mazda base also has some of the nicer features not available on the Mirage base.

Maybe Mazda will make a "skyactiv" Mazda2 and get even better numbers?

Edited - I now realize that I have possibly fallen victim to that natural, yet maladaptive impulse to always want more and bigger. The Mirage has enough power, so that should be the end of it, and the better mileage/lower cost should be advantages. I don't need double the power, so it is not a great deal to pay anything more in purchase price or fuel cost. Still, cheers to Mazda for making a car in that class that gets these numbers (some people aren't as enlightened as me and will want more power and torque . . . just like I do deep down in my primitive brain, which sometimes wins debates with that more logical side of me)

Last edited by Canoehead; 10-15-2013 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Guilt at my foolishness . . .

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Mazda does have a 1.5L skyactiv engine. I don't know if it'll be fitted to the Mazda 2 though.

Skyactiv is really just all the latest tech goodies that allow them to run a very high compression ratio. They also have a factory 4-2-1 header which isn't really the norm.

Here is some more info directly from Mazda:
    http://www.mazda.com/mazdaspirit/sky...kyactiv-g.html
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

Canoehead (10-15-2013)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    A bit more googling finds more info.

Mazda has a 1.3L and 1.5L skyactiv engine. The 1.3L is in the Mazda 2, but not in North America... We get some non-skyactiv 1.5L engine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SkyActiv#SKYACTIV-G

The Mazda 2 here is rated at 29/35 mpg (manual), 28/34 mpg (automatic). Less than steller, and its not like its extra zippy either with 100hp and 98 ft/lbs of torque. You can see a power to weight ratio comparison of it vs the Mirage here:

http://mirageforum.com/forum/showthr...tio-comparison
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

Canoehead (10-15-2013)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    A bit more googling finds more info.

Mazda has a 1.3L and 1.5L skyactiv engine. The 1.3L is in the Mazda 2, but not in North America... We get some non-skyactiv 1.5L engine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SkyActiv#SKYACTIV-G
    I just called Mazda Canada and got the stock answer "we offer vehicles based on demand". Which I am sure means overall market demand, as when I joked "Well then, may I demand a Mazda2 with Skyactiv?" I was told they would take a note of it, but there were no immediate plans. This was the same response I got when asking about the Civic diesel. Some things just are not destined for our shores, it seems.

I can't imagine the Mazda2 will sell many units, though, given that the new 3 is more powerful, bigger, and uses significantly less gas all for only $1500 more. My hope is that the Mirage will force the hands of all the other makes by setting a new standard for what people expect in fuel efficiency.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Oh I'm sure the Mirage will give the other automakers a little kick in the butt. Thats the way things work.

I do wonder how long it'll be before Mirage is unseated as the new king of the fuel economy hill in this country (among non-hybrids). Competition is growing for more fuel economy in the US/Canada markets, particularly because of the tightening government fuel economy regulations.

One thing Mitsu has going for it (and is also a negative): it doesn't currently have another car that the Mirage would cannibalize sales from.

Whereas, as you pointed out Canouhead, if Mazda offered a Mazda2 that was both more efficient and cheaper than the more profitable Mazda3, it would eat into its sales.

It's likely the reason why Honda doesn't offer an entry level Civic or Fit that gets similar mileage than its hybrids. It could easily do this, but it would take away sales from the more expensive Insight/Civic hybrid.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post

It's likely the reason why Honda doesn't offer an entry level Civic or Fit that gets similar mileage than its hybrids. It could easily do this, but it would take away sales from the more expensive Insight/Civic hybrid.
    I could be wrong, but it seems that the Civic and Accord both started smaller, and both grew - fuel efficiency improved, but actual MPG did not (i.e. more HP per liter of fuel, but bigger, heavier cars to move). Honda has the "gear" which looks like the next small car, but it is not slated for production. I am sure they could easily build a hyper-efficient car if they decided it would be profitable.

To me, a $12 500 Mirage is in a different class than a hybrid that is twice the price. I think Honda and Toyota might fall behind on this. It is unfortunate, because I appreciate the reputation for quality those two have built.