Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am I crazy? 2017 Fit vs 2018 Mirage..

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Am I crazy? 2017 Fit vs 2018 Mirage..

Hello all,

Currently drive a 2017 Fit EX manual, it's got good features but I don't like the engine (no response), clutch has no feeling, and while Honda makes nice shifters, I'm also not fond of the shifter feel.

I'm also leasing it, and over-mileage, so I consider the Mirage a nice way to absorb the negative equity (low selling price).

The Mirage has a more mechanical feel, and indeed it is. Has a cable clutch, and the timing chain also seems bulletproof. I like how slow the vehicle is, forces you to drive relaxed and not be anxious to get to your destination.

I also like the key blade ignition, smooth steering and soft ride. My father, and EVERYBODY else told me not to get this car. One thing they mentioned: if Mitsubishi goes bust, is the warranty still valid? If not, how is parts/maintenance on these?

How would you guys compare the 2 vehicles? Am I crazy for going from Fit to Mirage?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vldsvljvc View Post
    Currently drive a 2017 Fit EX manual...but I don't like the engine (no response)
    Umm...you realize that a Mirage has 1 less cylinder and 40% less horsepower than your Fit, right?
    If you are looking for responsive acceleration, then yes...you might be crazy.

The Mirage...I like how slow the vehicle is
    So it sounds like you're OK taking a performance hit with a Mirage?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Mitsubishi's not going anywhere. U.S. sales have been increasing for years from the bottom; they're introducing new models; and Nissan bought a controlling stake in the company last year, so they're backing it up.

It sounds like you were surprised by how much you liked the Mirage. It definitely has more character than a Fit!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I learned how to drive on slower, older vehicles (Volvo's, Yugo's, Lada's, Fiat's, etc.) and in this Mitsubishi Mirage I felt that nostalgia. I can enjoy the "old car" feel but have a brand new car with new car reliability.

By the way, the slowness of the Mirage provides for a greater sense of occasion. And as I previously said, it forces you to drive more relaxed.

As long as the Mirage is mechanically a good car, I don't care for power. And frankly, it has better seats according to my spine, and the ride is a lot softer.

If you like a soft ride, hunt down a 2014 model. . They tightened it up noticeably from 2017.

Mechanically, these are solid little cars. You will want to get the rear alignment checked though. Some rear axles have been out of spec from the factory (I understand this was a Fit issue also), and may require a warranty replacement. Not a deal breaker.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (04-07-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Hello all,
    Hello vldsvljvc and welcome to the forum.

Currently drive a 2017 Fit EX manual, it's got good features but I don't like the engine (no response), clutch has no feeling, and while Honda makes nice shifters, I'm also not fond of the shifter feel.
    Top_Fuel's got a point. Soon you set this concern to a side, and I really appreciate the way - the words you choose to explain why.

I'm also leasing it, and over-mileage, so I consider the Mirage a nice way to absorb the negative equity (low selling price).
    These can be difficult waters to navigate as it's all to easy to get further in debt. I suppose selling your Fit yourself rather than trading it in will help, but only so much.

The Mirage has a more mechanical feel, and indeed it is. Has a cable clutch, and the timing chain also seems bulletproof. I like how slow the vehicle is, forces you to drive relaxed and not be anxious to get to your destination.

I also like the key blade ignition, smooth steering and soft ride.
    Well said.

My father, and EVERYBODY else told me not to get this car. One thing they mentioned: if Mitsubishi goes bust, is the warranty still valid? If not, how is parts/maintenance on these?
    Site admin MetroMPG covered this. Keep in mind both GM and Chrysler went bankrupt, if that means anything here. Mitsubishi has introduced another new model to North America, the Eclipse Cross. I get the feeling they are trying to take advantage of the popularity of Subaru's market with Mitsubishi's long-established all wheel drive technology.

How would you guys compare the 2 vehicles? Am I crazy for going from Fit to Mirage?
    Yep, you're crazy to think about getting what many would consider less vehicle when you are driving a new car right now. But you came to hear from the Peanut Gallery to see what owner's think. Well, we think it's a great little car.

But let's look at it this way: The Mirage was built for Economy - to be affordable to purchase and affordable to operate. There are not many Mirages here in North America when compared to the Fit, but of those who care to join and share their experiences report it to be reliable transportation.

I think if you are really concerned about driving dynamics, I would expect the Fit to win. If you appreciate a simpler, more honest form of transportation, the Mirage wins. I haven't driven a Fit, so I really can't offer a comparison - only guesses. I'm also going to guess that you have a European outlook / frame of reference.

Tough call. If you drive many miles, the fuel efficiency of the Mirage will help offset your added expenses.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    These can be difficult waters to navigate as it's all to easy to get further in debt.
    +1

The negative equity in the Fit makes this a more complicated decision. It sounds like you are a good candidate for a Mirage 5-speed, but only if it makes financial sense.

Let's talk economics for a second. You're upside-down in the Fit lease. So you aren't getting out of that without paying the lease company for your mileage, or you roll those fees into another car loan. That's not an ideal situation but it's reality.

Suppose you buy a new $13,000 Mirage tomorrow. You borrow the entire amount of the purchase, and you roll $2,000 of negative equity into the deal. You have a new Mirage, but you now have a $15,000 loan.

On a 5 year loan @ 4% interest, that's $276 per month. Add on the mandatory gap insurance that you'll have to carry, and that number is probably closer to $300/month.

After 1 year....your Mirage will be worth $10,000...but your loan payoff will be $12,300.
    After 2 years...your Mirage will be worth $8,000....but your loan payoff will be $9400.
    After 3 years...Your Mirage will be worth $6500.....and your loan payoff will be $6300.

So after 3 years...you will have made almost $11,000 in car payments, and you will have almost no equity in the car.

What's my point?

#1 - Make sure if you buy a Mirage, that it's the car for you. Because if you have to bail out of it in the first few years of ownership, you are going to be in another negative equity situation that may be worse than you have now.

#2 - Consider a used Mirage. There are lots of good deals out there on lightly used Mirages. Let someone else eat the depreciation for you. You will still be under water for a while, but it won't be as bad as if you purchased new.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Car Nut (04-08-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I really like how the Fit has the special fold up rear seat. Instant cargo van. Unfortunately the front seats in the Fit are very uncomfortable for me, as are the Civic seats for the last 20+ years. My daughter complained about the seats in her Accord. We finally sold it and got a different car because of her issue. Lots of different complaints online about Honda seats. The Mirage seats are just about perfect for me.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts

Don't think you are crazy!

Hello all,

I also like the key blade ignition, smooth steering and soft ride. My father, and EVERYBODY else told me not to get this car. One thing they mentioned: if Mitsubishi goes bust, is the warranty still valid? If not, how is parts/maintenance on these?

Your car payments on a new Mirage may be less than what you are paying for a leased Fit. Let's say you pay off your Mirage in 5 years or less. You could keep driving this car for another 5 or more years & have no car payments. None! Meanwhile, you will have a 10-year/100,000 mile powertrain warranty that covers any drastic repairs. The best car to own/drive is one that is paid off, dependable, & economical. If it isn't worth much later on, you can also drop comprehensive/collision insurance. When you just carry liability on an older car, then you’re really experiencing cheap daily transportation.

I started considering the Mirage last summer. Eventually, I decided that I wanted an updated 2017/18 Mirage with a manual transmission. When I made my purchase last fall, a used 2017 with manual transmission was still hard to come by. When it got to the point where I was going to pay less than 66% of the window sticker for a new Mirage, I decided to pull the trigger. Buying a used one would have had some trade offs, too. I would have lost the 10-year/100,000 miles powertrain warranty. Plus, the dealership I purchased my new car from gives you a lifetime/unlimited mileage powertrain warranty @ no extra charge. I plan on paying this car off early, & keeping it for a long time. If this car serves me well for the next 10 years or so, do I really care what it's worth in the end?

These are my actual numbers -

I paid $9299 for a brand 2017 Mirage ES (manual) with added bluetooth & center armrest. The window sticker was $14,220. I didn’t negotiate a good price. I just went to someone that was selling the Mirage for that price.

My local credit union would have financed this new car for 2.74% for 60 months. I financed $10,000 with Ally (Mitsubishi) @ 4% for 60 months. This gave me a $500 rebate at that time (dropping the final price to $9299).

Since I got this car so cheap, I had to finance everything (purchase price, tax, title, license, new Wisconsin plates) to qualify for the $500 rebate from Ally. The car was delivered to my house. I met my salesman for the first time in my driveway, and we did the paperwork on my kitchen table. The “out the door” price for everything was $10,153.73. Since I decided to finance the $10,000 with Ally, I wrote a check for $153.73 at the time of purchase.

My car payments with Ally were $176.72/month. Keep in mind I basically financed the entire new car. This past month, I refinanced my Mirage with my local credit union. Even though my Mirage is now considered used, I still got the 2.74% financing for 60 months. They charged me $29.50 to pay off my Ally loan and take over the loan. My car payments are now $169/month. I may pay off this car in the next year or two.

I also want to point out that I did not qualify for any other special customer rebates (current Mitsubishi owner, veteran, or other special rebates). Otherwise, the car would have been cheaper than $9300 new.

I don’t mean to offend anyone, but I wouldn’t pay $14,000 for a fully loaded Mirage. I love my Mirage, but you couldn’t add anything to this car that would make me pay that much for it.

If I were in the market for a 2017/18 Mirage today, I would check out a used one. I presently see a 2017 Mirage SE (manual) with 15,541 miles for $7995. It’s a closer distance than the dealership I purchased my Mirage from. If I financed $8500 for everything, my payments would be approximately $152/month (2.74 % for 60 months). I would still have a 5-year/60,000 miles bumper-to-bumper warranty, & I would be ok with that.

If a used 2014/15 Mirage would make someone happy for even less, I really don’t know how a person could pass that up?

What are the lease payments for Honda Fit? When your lease is up, what do you have? The dealership gets the car back, & you start all over again with something else. If you like driving new cars all the time, a lease may be the way to go. Some people don’t like hanging on to their cars, but driving a paid off car makes me smile!

I wish there were more Mitsubishi dealers, but I am not concerned about the future of the company. My local Mitsubishi dealership just outgrew their present facility and moved into a larger one. They only started their Mitsubishi dealership about 2 years ago. I wanted to give them my business, but I found a better deal elsewhere. Free delivery of the car sealed the deal for me, & that dealership is very well established in the Twin Cities area. They were formerly a Saturn dealership. It’s hard to predict the future. Who would have thought Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Saturn, Scion, Suzuki, & others would have been gone 15 years ago?

The Mirage is world car brought to the U.S. market. That’s the best thing about it. One of my daughters lives overseas. My daughter’s husband owns one car that is shared with his parents and his sister. Three households share one vehicle, & it’s not anywhere as nice as my Mirage.

I am amazed how car critics are so quick to point out the lack of horsepower in the Mirage. I’m sorry, but 78 hp is enough for a car of this size. Then again, I drove my new car for 2 months before I even had a passenger in it. It’s just basic transportation for me. This is not the lowest horsepower car I have ever owned either. My first car was a used 1978 Honda Civic Wagon (1488 cc & 63 hp). 1990 Ford Festiva was 1.3 L & 64 hp. 1989 Plymouth Colt Wagon DL (Mitsubishi in disguise) had a 1.5 L engine & was 75 hp. None of these cars seemed underpowered to me. My most underpowered vehicle was probably my 1988 Isuzu Trooper (2.6 L & 120 hp), because it was a clunky vehicle by comparison.

In my mind, the Mirage is a fun car! My cousin drives a KIA Optima with a 2.0 L turbo and 274 hp. He may not like my Mirage, but I don’t really care. He also paid 3.5 times more for all his bells and whistles than I paid for my Mirage. If you add the interest paid on that car, he’s easily paid 4 times more than my Mirage. Yet, we both like our cars.

I am 6’1” and not a skinny guy. I am very comfortable driving my Mirage. I can’t think of a vehicle that I’ve owned that was better. If you were placed in the car blindfolded, you may think you're riding in a Buick. I hate to say that, but it has an amazing ride for such a small car. My only knock on this car - I wish the rear seats folded and flipped forward giving you a flatter area in the back. I’ve had older cars (even smaller cars) that had a better design than the seatbacks just flipping down. Otherwise, I really wouldn’t change much about this car. If people want something larger & more powerful, I would rather see Mitsubishi come up with another model in their line up. Those cars already exist with other brands, however. Why bother? The Mirage is a little unique, and I like that!

Given what you already like about the Mirage, I don’t think you’re crazy at all. You seem pretty bright to me. Good luck with whatever you decide & keep us posted!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (04-11-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I haven't posted my Mirage story but I made a purchase last weekend and I am enjoying every bit of it.

I previously drove a 2003 Ford F-150 and a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9. Each get about 12 MPG and the Jeep uses 91 Octane.
    I only commute about 25 miles a day for work but was tired of spending $50+ a week in gas. I looked at a lot of different options from the Fit to a Focus. I am pretty stingy and couldn't see myself financing so much on an entry vehicle. The mileage I would need to drive to make up for the gas distance was so great I just stopped looking. I watched a car review from Doug DeMuro and he had me hooked at "Brand new on Autotrader starting at $9,000"

The real appeal to such an entry basic vehicle was the lack of modifications I can do and a warranty for peace of mind. I realized in my car search I was caring too much about options and big names. I dont't need bells or whistles, just a way from point A to B. It feels like I just turned 16 and my parents gave me a vehicle without any input to what I wanted. This is particularly nice for me so I don't get out of hand spending money on non functional mods.

I told myself if I found one under $10k I would look into purchasing. I ended up finding a white 5 speed at White Bear Lake (life time powertrain) listed at $9,999. I was able to get VIP and Loyalty bring it to 9300 out the door - no tax, title etc. I ended up financing through the dealer with my current bank for 3 years at 4.9%.

I definitely enjoy the 5 speed, it is very easy to drive - I definitely need to buy the arm rest.

The gas mileage is amazing, using 3x less gas is nice.

Great visibility

Seats are surprisingly comfy

Insurance rates are a killer

Road noise is up there, I plan on sound deadening mine

I am excited to get the Doax rear sway and polish up ride quality

Overall it is a great little car and I am looking forward to driving and maintaining the next 100k+ miles

14. The Following User Says Thank You to failsatheals For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (04-11-2018)